Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default MAB vs. The World!

I just wanted to mention something about MAB and my vision for the forum...

This forum isn't elitist or better than any other forum...it's just different. MAB has a lot of experienced competitors and almost no beginners, so it has a different viewpoint, and in many ways, a different goal.

I personally don't look at MAB as better than any other site or forum. Most other lifting forums are more of a fitness forum with a higher population of guys looking for abs and that sort of thing. I don't have a problem with that goal...it's just not the goal of most here. But if guys do come here with that goal, we will help them and provide no nonsense advice...or at least point them in the right direction the best we can.

We respect all men and all goals. We always have, and always will.

This forum is also a forum of friends. Many of us have met. We keep a different set of rules (no e-stats, required pictures or videos to provide substantial training advice) which severely limits the amount of people that want to come here. This is a very limiting set of rules, and keeps the forum small - which can be good and bad.

Many beginners don't feel comfortable here because we have such a crazed focus on the basics. We have so many great folks that register and leave. I wish this wasn't so.

I hate the fact that we scare anyone off.

Every forum will have a degree of foolishness and misguided advice. At the end of the day, the only thing we can control is how we treat others. I make mistakes every day, and am glad when I am reminded of these mistakes.

Experienced lifters and experienced men (generally) make fewer mistakes, but that doesn't make them better - just older.

I am glad that we have the group of guys here that we do. But I want the site to at least triple in size. Far too many lifters leave because the site is still growing and isn't quite big enough yet.

To keep the forum on track as it grows we need to honor the principles of MAB:

--Respect all men. This doesn't mean we can't disagree.
--Relationships above dogma. Never let a debate divide a friendship.
--Honestly. No e-stats. We are who we are. Being "weak" or "wrong" or a beginning trainee isn't bad thing. We all start somewhere. Let's be honest about where we are at so we can make progress.
--Transparency. We require pictures or videos for those that provide substantial advice only to be transparent. This isn't about "only the big and strong and ripped guys can give advice." It's about trust. I want everyone on this forum to know the face of the man that is helping them.

This is the MAB way. I have made plenty of mistakes and strayed from this way.

As they say, iron sharpens iron. Each of us has days in which the fitness realm can cause our heads to split. It's ok to laugh about it. It's also ok to have bad days, or to get frustrated, or to make mistakes. Having lofty goals doesn't mean you have to be perfect - it simply means you try to do better every day.

If each of us continues to stay on the MAB path, and move forward every day with honor and respect, we will continue to push each other in the right direction as lifters and as men. Iron sharpens iron.

10/4 good buddy, over and out!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-25-2011 at 10:59 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

Let's do this!!!
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Aurik
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

Another excellent post there, BtB! Tripling the membership here is definitely a lofty goal, but it can be done. Keep it up!
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Agreed!!
Old 04-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Great Post BtB! This mentality is why MAB is a great place to be!
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

I have a user name on many sites, and came across the site just playing around. I will be the first to tell you, that in my opinion is one of the best information sites around. There is a ton of knowledge on this site. I can read an article just like everyone else, but there is something about getting the advice from the people who have lived it. The people here provide great feedback, and are honest! Bottom line, this is a great site, and I recommend this site to anyone who is interested in any level of lifting!

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
ILoveLifting
Strength Fiend
Max Brawn
Points: 2,129, Level: 27 Points: 2,129, Level: 27 Points: 2,129, Level: 27
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: New York Strips and V8
ILoveLifting is off to a bad start

Dont change a thing, btb. If someone wants to climb aboard the progression train great, if not, take a hike... or in their case, a casual walk over to "that other site".
ILoveLifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Steve this site and what it stands for has revitalisd my training and my out look. I like being here and feeling small lol, it gives me something to drive for. Surrounding ourselves with people that lift/look like we want to is a sure fire way of progressing. The members here are knowledgeable and have lived the lifestyle for a long time in general and the advice they offer is from experience, not from parotting, which sets this place apart.

I hope it does tripple in size and I hope that one day people on here will look at me the way that i look at a lot of the members now, I have a long way to go yet, but I am sure with MAB's backing Ill get there.

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I like it here. Just hope I can help others as they have helped me.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
Szelago
44 yr bulk phase complete
Max Brawn
Points: 2,936, Level: 33 Points: 2,936, Level: 33 Points: 2,936, Level: 33
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 1yr since coming back
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Leg Press
Fav Supp: Thank god for elastamine!
Szelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLifting View Post
Dont change a thing, btb. If someone wants to climb aboard the progression train great, if not, take a hike... or in their case, a casual walk over to "that other site".
x2
The only reason I wasn't on this forum previously, is because I didn't know it existed. Thanks to Big Tim for the tip. Once here I was instantly impressed with the members, the content, the humor, the respect.

Thanks for that.

In the mirror of adversity we see what we are truly made of.
Szelago is offline   Reply With Quote