Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!
Default Snatch / Squat Clean....and grip.

I was going to direct this question to one member, then I realised that more than one are currently doing snatches etc. So...

For the Snatch and/or Squat Clean, are people using the hook grip? Or are some of you using a conventional overhand grip?

From what I gather, the hook grip is generally employed with the snatch anyway but I wondered if people here were using it.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

I use the hook I think (the one where you tuck your thumb under the fingers but still around the bar), for cleans and will be using it for snatches too... thats the one the coach told me to use as well. i was using a thumbless grip before, but apparently a hook grip is best and better than a regular overhand where the thumbs are on the outside...

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
I use the hook I think (the one where you tuck your thumb under the fingers but still around the bar), for cleans and will be using it for snatches too... thats the one the coach told me to use as well. i was using a thumbless grip before, but apparently a hook grip is best and better than a regular overhand where the thumbs are on the outside...

Carl.
Yep, that's the Hook Grip, where you crush your thumb against the bar with the other finger(s)...which is how I visualise it.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

The only thing i found was the top knuckle of the thumb (the one closest to the hand) got rubbed and cut up from the jagedy bit on the bar (these are all the technical names im using here, so if you need me to translate let me know.. lmao ).. I dont wear gloves, but apparently they callus up pretty quick, or you can use tape. If your using the KB's though i suppose the handle is smooth so you shouldnt have that problem

carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
The only thing i found was the top knuckle of the thumb (the one closest to the hand) got rubbed and cut up from the jagedy bit on the bar (these are all the technical names im using here, so if you need me to translate let me know.. lmao ).. I dont wear gloves, but apparently they callus up pretty quick, or you can use tape. If your using the KB's though i suppose the handle is smooth so you shouldnt have that problem

carl.
Hahaha, oh yeah, you can tear up your hands pretty badly with KBs due to the friction as it circles the hand etc...there's a lot of technique to avoiding tearing up the hands which is best to make use of
Old 04-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
ILoveLifting
Strength Fiend
Max Brawn
Points: 2,129, Level: 27 Points: 2,129, Level: 27 Points: 2,129, Level: 27
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: New York Strips and V8
ILoveLifting is off to a bad start

When i use the hook grip while deadlifting the bar is held with the fingers in between the first and second joint from the finger tip. The thumb serves very little purpose, i keep it curled in and pressing against the end of my fingers. This style gives me a strong grip and it also reduces the rom about 2 inches.
ILoveLifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:

carl.

After seeing that Pyrros Dimas tapes his thumbs, 19 secs in to vid is the best shot, I wondered if anywhere mentioned how they should be taped, for those wanting to do so...but the piece I found (below) doesn't really tally with how Dimas places the tape, so maybe there are various methods, ideas on that point:

"Everyone's grip is different on the bar. Calluses appear in different points on the hands for different lifters. Some guys have big hands or little hands. Little hands make the hook grip extremely important because you don't have as much thumb to grip. Improvise and experiment, as the posts suggest. But ALWAYS keep the calluses well-trimmed and unobtrusive to a firm grip.

Wrap the tape around ONLY the distal phalange of your thumb. First, though, allow your thumb nails to grow long, and file grooves in them for better gripping. This, remember, applies especially to guys with smaller hands (most guys of average height or less). The reason for this is that with a longer thumbnail, you'll be able to grip the thumb with your first two fingers (not just your index finger).

Experiment with the tape...tighter or looser wrapped. Read the rule book on what's allowed! Used to be no more than two times around."

Source: How to tape your thumbs for a hook grip | Dr. Squat - Dr. Fred Hatfield
Old 04-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Doing warmups for snatch and c & j, I use normal grip. For the working sets I use hook grip.

I also use hook grip for high pulls and deadlifts on my final set.

I generally put my hand on the bar, fingers still straight and curl my thumb around, then curl my fingers around. My middle finger normally sits on my thumbs nail.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote