Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Career Day - Fondle Breast.....Implants

Elementary students fondle breast implants as part of 'Career Day'

Quote:
Some of the parents of children who attend Shady Grove Elementary School in Glen Allen, Va., are up in arms over a recent "Career Day" in which their young ones were exposed to some questionable show-and-tell props. According to a recent report by NBC 12 in Richmond, a local plastic surgeon brought silicon breast implants as part of his presentation, and allowed the young children to touch them.

"I'm still shocked and appalled that my nine-year-old saw and touched a breast implant," wrote one parent on a Facebook post concerning the event. Several others also chimed in that the implants crossed the line, and that school administrators should have warned parents prior to the event in order to avoid any controversy.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
thumpinos
Uber Brawn
Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

thumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good posts

Next week kids we talk about penis enlargements.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
Ripped64
Brawn
Points: 683, Level: 13 Points: 683, Level: 13 Points: 683, Level: 13
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2.5
Fav Exercise: DB Bench press
Fav Supp: Milk
Ripped64 has made some quality postsRipped64 has made some quality postsRipped64 has made some quality postsRipped64 has made some quality postsRipped64 has made some quality postsRipped64 has made some quality postsRipped64 has made some quality posts

People try and shelter there kids way to much.. i see no harm in this.
It's simply a tool of his trade...
Ripped64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

With breast implants comes curious questions of "why daddy?"

I, as a parent, want to control when these sensitive issues are discussed. I am not sheltering my kids, but I do want my parental rights and powers on certain subjects to not have certain things discussed without my permission.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
Ripped64
Brawn
Points: 683, Level: 13 Points: 683, Level: 13 Points: 683, Level: 13
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2.5
Fav Exercise: DB Bench press
Fav Supp: Milk
Ripped64 has made some quality postsRipped64 has made some quality postsRipped64 has made some quality postsRipped64 has made some quality postsRipped64 has made some quality postsRipped64 has made some quality postsRipped64 has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

I, as a parent, want to control when these sensitive issues are discussed. I am not sheltering my kids, but I do want my parental rights and powers on certain subjects to not have certain things discussed without my permission.
Well true, i guess it is different perspectives on this. I myself don't have kids so i cant accurately comment on this i suppose.
Ripped64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Now if the implant had been implanted then that would have made for an interesting school trip

I agree that schools should ask permission of the parents before any knid if visits though. Somethings i wouldnt want my kids subjected too, another person may see as 'fine' and vise versa. At the end of the the childs experiences have to be somewhat controlled by the parents untill an age where the children can deciede for themselves...

I always go by what my Mother told me, 'If you're old enough to understand the question, then you are old enough to hear the answer.'

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

I totally agree on the issue of wanting to discuss things on my own terms with my children and when the issue gets forced on you it can be upsetting as a parent. The other side of it is sometimes as a parent we need a bump into a discussion on certain topics to be reminded that our children hear, see, and learn things a lot earlier than we want to think. I always tell my kids to come to me with the "why daddy" questions because i want them to hear my answer and my explanation and not that of the 13 and 14 yr old big mouth on the bus. This subject in general i'm not sure i would have been happy that my child played with a breast implant at 9 yrs old. Why couldn't the surgeon brought in a calf implant or some of those cheek bone insert things. The fact is bringing in a breast implant to show 9yr olds was just unneeded. The man doesn't need to feel ashamed about his job in any way but he could have explained his job just as well with out it.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

For situations like this I ask myself....would I bring up the topic to a friend's child without talking first to their parent about it?

That's my measuring stick.

Talking about math, science and ABCs...I don't really need to talk to my friend because I am confident he won't care. Talking about breast implants, or the Second Coming of Christ, well...

Old 04-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #9
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Hmmm..Lots of thoughts about this.

As a parent, my ex-wife and I usually try to have pre-emptive conversations with our kids about different topics. What this has done. as far as I can tell, is make them both feel open enough to come to us when discussions occur with friends or if they see something on the news/hear something on the radio and they feel the need to discuss it.

Now, my daughter is going on 14 and son is approaching 11. They have watched Degrasse and Glee. They like people in music and entertainment who have fake hair, eyes and more.

I am sure that a lot of parents sexualized the implant issue here, but I would not have. To me, it comes down to body image and feelings of self. I have spoken to my kids about this since they were old enough to say they felt skinny or fat. And my answer to the Why Daddy question would have probably had a lot to do with people not always being happy with themselves and seeking to change things to make themselves feel better. I would have pointed to the prominent scars on my face and talked about how, if I did not feel okay with myself, I might seek to change them, but I do, so I don't worry about it. A tricky conversation for sure when you are raising a dancer who is naturally leaner than most girls. (I also explained to my daughter that breast tissue is fat and dancing, she just isn't going to have tons of it).

OY. Parenting is complicated.

But, the school system, should have exhibited better judgment in understanding the potential uproar from parents. It's about knowing your community and having policies and procedures in place to handle situations like this.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
I totally agree on the issue of wanting to discuss things on my own terms with my children and when the issue gets forced on you it can be upsetting as a parent. The other side of it is sometimes as a parent we need a bump into a discussion on certain topics to be reminded that our children hear, see, and learn things a lot earlier than we want to think. I always tell my kids to come to me with the "why daddy" questions because i want them to hear my answer and my explanation and not that of the 13 and 14 yr old big mouth on the bus. This subject in general i'm not sure i would have been happy that my child played with a breast implant at 9 yrs old. Why couldn't the surgeon brought in a calf implant or some of those cheek bone insert things. The fact is bringing in a breast implant to show 9yr olds was just unneeded. The man doesn't need to feel ashamed about his job in any way but he could have explained his job just as well with out it.
That was my thought on it, an implant is just an implant it's once the word "breast" is attached to it that it becomes problematical. In essence all they are is lumps, or forms, of silicon; he could easily have said they were silicon implants and avoided the subject of breasts altogether.