Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Which program gave you the best gains ?? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5722)

Carl1174 03-29-2011 07:14 AM

Which program gave you the best gains ??

Just wondering which program gave some of you guys the best gains in strength and/or size. Whether it was something you were doing when you just started, something you have done since and were revitalised and what you diet was like at the time.

We all say about doing things right, but sometimes people get crazy gains doing things all 'wrong' just wondered if anyone on here had had that happen to them. You know the things that worked, but you wouldnt recommend :)

Personally i have had my best gains in ages in size by moving to a fullbody 3 days per week program. My best gains in terms of strength (so getting strong the fastest) came, funnily enough on a 4 day bodypart split when i first started training properly on a P,M,B type routine (so could have been newbie gains, or cos it was the first time i was really concentrating on form). However i do think that my strength is only gonna get better now and i am still on fullbody, but with slightly lower reps :rockon:

Carl.

bigtim27 03-29-2011 07:16 AM

Best gains I've gotten strength wise came when I was using Steve's Power, Muscle, Burn routine. Also seeing really good gains now using the Reeves Full body approach.

BendtheBar 03-29-2011 07:37 AM

The Power, Muscle, Burn-style approach gave me my best size and strength gains.

As far as the wrong side...

Talk about doing things all wrong
...for the last 3 years I haven't really had much of a structure to my deadlift workouts. I would just do what felt good, or go with whatever whim hit me that day. My deadlift went from 375 to 575.

Carl1174 03-29-2011 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 125709)
The Power, Muscle, Burn-style approach gave me my best size and strength gains.

As far as the wrong side...

Talk about doing things all wrong
...for the last 3 years I haven't really had much of a structure to my deadlift workouts. I would just do what felt good, or go with whatever whim hit me that day. My deadlift went from 375 to 575.

:eek:

Carl.

glwanabe 03-29-2011 08:02 AM

My best gains have always been when I follow a less is more approach. Hard work on the basics, and stay consistant. This has time and again proven to work.

What have I done wrong. I make sure I eat enough protein, but other than that, I eat what I want, including plenty of junk. As I've gotten older, I've needed to tighten things up a bit, but I still eat pretty much want I want. I just make sure I work hard on the weights.

BendtheBar 03-29-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl1174 (Post 125712)
:eek:

Carl.

Consistency and progression :)

dmaipa 03-29-2011 09:04 AM

strength and size wise i would have to say west-side barbell style..but i think having a crazy training group was a huge factor in it as well.

IronManlet 03-29-2011 09:48 AM

Whenever I started just going into the gym and doing what I felt like + making progress in reps/sets/weight whenever possible, I got stronger.

Take my Deadlifts as an example. Like Steve was saying, basically no structure beyond consistently training heavy with them on a regular basis got me from 315 to 450 relatively quickly; and I aim to pull 500 come September.

BendtheBar 03-29-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaipa (Post 125732)
but i think having a crazy training group was a huge factor in it as well.

Yeah, there is something to be said about having a strong group of guys to motivate you.

MMA Max 03-29-2011 10:11 AM

I would say when Gasper went out of his way to make me a West-Side BB template. For some reason it mixed in really well with what I was doing for MMA, plus any of the Gpp that I had to do for West-Side seemed to fall right into slots that crossed over with MMA.

Now there seems to be a West-Side BB for MMA Fighters that Joe Defranco just put together. It's not much different then the standard template, except there are a few more explosive lifts and a tad bit more mma/Strong man type core work. I tried it and don't like it, My success comes from me being stronger :mh: so I stick with the current WSBB Template with MMA GPP on off days.