Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
DaRidler
Brawn
Points: 692, Level: 13 Points: 692, Level: 13 Points: 692, Level: 13
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: Bench Press...DUH
Fav Supp: Oreo Cookies
DaRidler has made some good postsDaRidler has made some good postsDaRidler has made some good postsDaRidler has made some good postsDaRidler has made some good postsDaRidler has made some good postsDaRidler has made some good postsDaRidler has made some good postsDaRidler has made some good postsDaRidler has made some good posts
Default What do you do to prep???

I have heard a ton of different ways to wind down to a meet, 14 days out for DL, 12 for squat 10 for bench, then others. One of them was last bench day before the meet was 1xopener 4 days before meet. what would you guys recomend, my last one I did was 16 days out on dl, cause I thought I could do it 9 days out, and a buddy said dont. Squat was 11 days and bench was 7, i felt fine, but like all of you, i want to be better.

what you think.
DaRidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Bump

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
DocColossus
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn
Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73

The Rocker TV Toss Champion!
Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Hammer Low Pull
Fav Supp: Jack3d, Yok3d, ModernBCAA
DocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRidler View Post
I have heard a ton of different ways to wind down to a meet, 14 days out for DL, 12 for squat 10 for bench, then others. One of them was last bench day before the meet was 1xopener 4 days before meet. what would you guys recomend, my last one I did was 16 days out on dl, cause I thought I could do it 9 days out, and a buddy said dont. Squat was 11 days and bench was 7, i felt fine, but like all of you, i want to be better.

what you think.
My FORMER conditioning "coach" had my DL only 2 days (2 DAYS!!!!) before a contest, and sure enough I was rushed to the hospital with a career ending injury from that same contest...

Guess my only advice (I used to have some credibility with heavier lifts, one being a 705lb pull for ONE sloppy ass rep) is to NOT pull within the 2 days prior haha...

And dude you're a damn ox. FYI. Damn ox.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
DocColossus
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn
Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73

The Rocker TV Toss Champion!
Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Hammer Low Pull
Fav Supp: Jack3d, Yok3d, ModernBCAA
DocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRidler View Post

what you think.
My FORMER conditioning "coach" had my DL only 2 days (2 DAYS!!!!) before a contest, and sure enough I was rushed to the hospital with a career ending injury from that same contest...

Guess my only advice (I used to have some credibility with heavier lifts, one being a 705lb pull for ONE sloppy ass rep) is to NOT pull within the 2 days prior haha...

And dude you're a damn ox. FYI. Damn ox.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:52 PM   #5
Isaku900
Wild Iron Gym
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 10+
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: Big 3
Isaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good posts

I take my last deadlift anywhere from 18-22 days out.

Last squat is usually 8-12 days out.
Last bench usually 7-10 days out.

then coast into the meet.

I usually do some light stuff for the rotator cuff/shoulder to keep that area all nice, and do a lot of stretching and prehab.

granted everyone is different, but I've started finding as my weights go up that the longer I take to rest between my last lifting days and the meet the better.

Become a fan of Wild Iron Gym on Facebook:

Last edited by Isaku900; 02-24-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Isaku900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:10 AM   #6
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member
Default For Raw Prep, Geared lifting I think taxes the CNS more

I used to take 10 days off everything completely but found out its often better stay in the 70% or lower range(lower suggested) 7 days before the meet for Squats/Deadlifts & 3-4days for the Bench press. I don't like to do assistance exercises during this time, I rather just perfect form/set up/routine for the meet.

1month before the meet,I max out or take 90-100+% or (somewhere between your 2nd & 3rd attempt) for the squat & deadlift & for the Bench about 15 days out.

Then in the remaining weeks for:

Squats/Deadlifts I would work to :

2nd attempts, 3 weeks from the meet.

openers(1st attempts) 2 weeks from the meet.

then 70% or less 10days from the meet.

For Bench I would:

Do 2nd attempts 11 days before.

Openers 7days before.

50% paused bench 4 days before.

This is more or less what has worked for me, everyone is different though.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote