Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Official Now Reading Thread...

Thread for readers...

Post the title (and summary if you want) of the book you are currently reading...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
BigFiveFive
White Mamba
Max Brawn
Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows
Fav Supp: AMS Pump Fixx
BigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributor

Caught between the dog and the fireplug.

-Politics, 'nuff said lol.

Get your Fixx at the Muscle and Strength store!
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/sto...e-science.html

Or our online store!
www.advancedmusclescience.com

Don't talk about it, Be about it
!

TEAM THOR!
BigFiveFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Drood

by Dan Simmons

Amazon.com: Drood: A Novel (9780316120616): Dan Simmons: Books Amazon.com: Drood: A Novel (9780316120616): Dan Simmons: Books

Quote:
From Publishers Weekly

Starred Review. Bestseller Simmons (The Terror) brilliantly imagines a terrifying sequence of events as the inspiration for Dickens's last, uncompleted novel, The Mystery of Edwin Drood, in this unsettling and complex thriller. In the course of narrowly escaping death in an 1865 train wreck and trying to rescue fellow passengers, Dickens encounters a ghoulish figure named Drood, who had apparently been traveling in a coffin. Along with his real-life novelist friend Wilkie Collins, who narrates the tale, Dickens pursues the elusive Drood, an effort that leads the pair to a nightmarish world beneath London's streets. Collins begins to wonder whether the object of their quest, if indeed the man exists, is merely a cover for his colleague's own murderous inclinations. Despite the book's length, readers will race through the pages, drawn by the intricate plot and the proliferation of intriguing psychological puzzles, which will remind many of the work of Charles Palliser and Michael Cox. 4-city author tour. (Feb.)
Copyright Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

From The New Yorker

In this creepy intertextual tale of professional jealousy and possible madness, Wilkie Collins tells of his friendship and rivalry with Charles Dickens, and of the mysterious phantasm named Edwin Drood, who pursues them both. Drood, cadaverous and pale, first appears at the scene of a railway accident in which Dickens was one of the few survivors; later, Dickens and Collins descend into London�s sewer in search of his lair. Meanwhile, a retired police detective warns Collins that Drood is responsible for more than three hundred murders, and that he will destroy Dickens in his quest for immortality. Collins is peevish, vain, and cruel, and the most unreliable of narrators: an opium addict, prone to nightmarish visions. The narrative is overlong, with discarded subplots and red herrings, but Simmons, a master of otherworldly suspense, cleverly explores envy�s corrosive effects.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I am currently hooked on Civil War books.

Amazon.com: Never Call Retreat: Lee and Grant: The Final Victory (Gingrich and Forstchen's Civil War Trilogy): Newt Gingrich, William R. Forstchen: Books Amazon.com: Never Call Retreat: Lee and Grant: The Final Victory (Gingrich and Forstchen's Civil War Trilogy): Newt Gingrich, William R. Forstchen: Books

A great Historical fiction that flips back and forth between the key Confederate and Union Players. A picture of Lee and Grant at their best.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Warrior Class, by Dale Brown. I've read nearly the entire Dale Brown series with Patrick McClanahan as the main character. Dale Brown is a retired B-52 navigator. His character, Patrick McClanahan, is a B-52 navigator. 'nuff said.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:31 AM   #6
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Atlas Shrugged.
Not enjoying it, but I promised my buddy I'd read it.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Atlas Shrugged.
Not enjoying it, but I promised my buddy I'd read it.
That's always been on the "to read" list, but I could never find the motivation to actually read it.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
That's always been on the "to read" list, but I could never find the motivation to actually read it.
I have it right here, next to me. Still empathise with you.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:06 AM   #9
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

I have just finished reading 'The girl who kicked the hornets nest' its the last one in the 'Millenuim' trilogy... Not a bad trilogy to be honest, not exactly high brow (but a lot of my reading isnt lol ) but good characterisation and a plot that moves along at a good pace, not too many twists to get confusing or make it hard work, but a few (even if a bit obvious) to keep you guessing...

Just Started 'the vampire diaries'.... RUBBISH, put it this way they obviously influenced Stephanie Meyer... nuff said, bu there is nothing else in the house that i havent read, and I have just spend my pocket money on some AMS Body Mortar lol

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
not exactly high brow (but a lot of my reading isnt lol ) but good characterisation and a plot that moves along at a good pace,
I'll read anything with a good story, and am never beyond stepping down the food chain in books to be entertained.