Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Official Now Reading Thread... (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5165)

BendtheBar 01-17-2011 07:58 PM

Official Now Reading Thread...

Thread for readers...

Post the title (and summary if you want) of the book you are currently reading...

BigFiveFive 01-17-2011 08:00 PM

Caught between the dog and the fireplug.

-Politics, 'nuff said lol.

BendtheBar 01-17-2011 08:01 PM

Drood

by Dan Simmons

Quote:

From Publishers Weekly

Starred Review. Bestseller Simmons (The Terror) brilliantly imagines a terrifying sequence of events as the inspiration for Dickens's last, uncompleted novel, The Mystery of Edwin Drood, in this unsettling and complex thriller. In the course of narrowly escaping death in an 1865 train wreck and trying to rescue fellow passengers, Dickens encounters a ghoulish figure named Drood, who had apparently been traveling in a coffin. Along with his real-life novelist friend Wilkie Collins, who narrates the tale, Dickens pursues the elusive Drood, an effort that leads the pair to a nightmarish world beneath London's streets. Collins begins to wonder whether the object of their quest, if indeed the man exists, is merely a cover for his colleague's own murderous inclinations. Despite the book's length, readers will race through the pages, drawn by the intricate plot and the proliferation of intriguing psychological puzzles, which will remind many of the work of Charles Palliser and Michael Cox. 4-city author tour. (Feb.)
Copyright Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

From The New Yorker

In this creepy intertextual tale of professional jealousy and possible madness, Wilkie Collins tells of his friendship and rivalry with Charles Dickens, and of the mysterious phantasm named Edwin Drood, who pursues them both. Drood, cadaverous and pale, first appears at the scene of a railway accident in which Dickens was one of the few survivors; later, Dickens and Collins descend into London�s sewer in search of his lair. Meanwhile, a retired police detective warns Collins that Drood is responsible for more than three hundred murders, and that he will destroy Dickens in his quest for immortality. Collins is peevish, vain, and cruel, and the most unreliable of narrators: an opium addict, prone to nightmarish visions. The narrative is overlong, with discarded subplots and red herrings, but Simmons, a master of otherworldly suspense, cleverly explores envy�s corrosive effects.

bamazav 01-17-2011 08:06 PM

I am currently hooked on Civil War books.

A great Historical fiction that flips back and forth between the key Confederate and Union Players. A picture of Lee and Grant at their best.

big valsalva 01-17-2011 08:37 PM

Warrior Class, by Dale Brown. I've read nearly the entire Dale Brown series with Patrick McClanahan as the main character. Dale Brown is a retired B-52 navigator. His character, Patrick McClanahan, is a B-52 navigator. 'nuff said.

Abaddon 01-18-2011 12:31 AM

Atlas Shrugged.
Not enjoying it, but I promised my buddy I'd read it.

BendtheBar 01-18-2011 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abaddon (Post 108013)
Atlas Shrugged.
Not enjoying it, but I promised my buddy I'd read it.

That's always been on the "to read" list, but I could never find the motivation to actually read it.

Abaddon 01-18-2011 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 108033)
That's always been on the "to read" list, but I could never find the motivation to actually read it.

I have it right here, next to me. Still empathise with you.

Carl1174 01-18-2011 08:06 AM

I have just finished reading 'The girl who kicked the hornets nest' its the last one in the 'Millenuim' trilogy... Not a bad trilogy to be honest, not exactly high brow (but a lot of my reading isnt lol :D) but good characterisation and a plot that moves along at a good pace, not too many twists to get confusing or make it hard work, but a few (even if a bit obvious) to keep you guessing...

Just Started 'the vampire diaries'.... RUBBISH, put it this way they obviously influenced Stephanie Meyer... nuff said, bu there is nothing else in the house that i havent read, and I have just spend my pocket money on some AMS Body Mortar lol :D

Carl.

BendtheBar 01-18-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl1174 (Post 108039)
not exactly high brow (but a lot of my reading isnt lol :D) but good characterisation and a plot that moves along at a good pace,

I'll read anything with a good story, and am never beyond stepping down the food chain in books to be entertained.