Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   direct calf and hamstring work needed? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5160)

MMA Max 01-17-2011 04:39 AM

direct calf and hamstring work needed?

If you squat x2 a week is direct calf work and hamstring worked needed?

Carl1174 01-17-2011 06:12 AM

As long as you are going as low as is possible for you (so hams touching calves) then i dont think Hamstring work is definitely needed, calves maybee just 3 sets per week. It all depends on your goals. if its strength then i dont think its definitely needed as they will get strong in the motion that you are training them anyway. If it is looks then possibly, depending how hard they are hit during the squats, as everyone is different to how much the hammies become involved in their squat.

Carl.

gaspers04 01-17-2011 06:35 AM

I work Calves occasionally, but I feel that it is purely an aesthetic exercise. As for the Hammies, I feel that it should be 1 for 1. For every Quad dominate lift do a Hammie dominate lift. And not necessarily in the same workout, but do keep it to an equal ratio throughout the week. Just my 2 cents...

MMA Max 01-17-2011 07:20 AM

Im just trying to cut out some un-needed work. I am squatting twice a week now and calf raise`s just don`t seem like they are doing much for my calves anyways. I read atg squats and deadlifts hit your hammies anyways, so why hit them with sldl? Like i said. Im trying to trim the fat

Carl1174 01-17-2011 07:35 AM

ATG squats definitely hit the hammies... i think if you wanted to drop the hams and calves for a month it shouldnt harm yo tbh... If you can fit SLDL in the routine then do them as they are good for lots of muscles as well as the hammies (glutes, hip flexors etc etc), but I dont think you need leg curls or any isolation ham work to be honest.

Calves like has been said are DEFINITELY an aesthetic exercise IMO

Carl.

gaspers04 01-17-2011 08:04 AM

RDLs or Summo RDLS are awesomeand as the Carl said "no need for curls". I just like to throw them in as a burn set or two at the end.

5kgLifter 01-17-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMA Max (Post 107614)
Im just trying to cut out some un-needed work. I am squatting twice a week now and calf raise`s just don`t seem like they are doing much for my calves anyways. I read atg squats and deadlifts hit your hammies anyways, so why hit them with sldl? Like i said. Im trying to trim the fat

I've read that running downhill is good for calf development due to the force needed to decelerate and stop the foot at every step. Whether it's that good or not, I can't say, since I've never tried it. I'm kinda fortunate where my calves are concerned, they seem to respond to almost no work.

BendtheBar 01-17-2011 03:30 PM

Calves to me are genetics dependent. If you have great calves, I wouldn't worry. Or heck, if you're not bodybuilding (as in entering a show), I wouldn't worry.

BigFiveFive 01-17-2011 03:37 PM

At least beast some SLDL, great for hamstring development and growth, you acquire speed and quickness from hamstrings in athletics so I would advise working them.

dmaipa 01-17-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFiveFive (Post 107785)
At least beast some SLDL, great for hamstring development and growth, you acquire speed and quickness from hamstrings in athletics so I would advise working them.

true statement..SLDL are key especially when talking about performance