Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #21
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I have a mental block about not doing direct hamstring work, and this is one of the mechanisms of older workouts that took me a while to process. Many didn't have direct hamstring work and I often felt I had to squeeze it in somewhere.

Do your hammies get sore from squatting?

This is actually one of the topics I want to discuss in the MAB Sand Box.
Glutes DEFINITELY, Hammies, yes I think so, but then i normally work them directly on the same day, but I think i remember getting 'slightly' sore hammies when i have squatted with no Ham work. just seems strange to neglect a body part. i suppose as long as i am going deep enough the hammies will still get hit, plus when I start to advance to the intermediate i can add hammies in then

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
Glutes DEFINITELY, Hammies, yes I think so, but then i normally work them directly on the same day, but I think i remember getting 'slightly' sore hammies when i have squatted with no Ham work. just seems strange to neglect a body part. i suppose as long as i am going deep enough the hammies will still get hit, plus when I start to advance to the intermediate i can add hammies in then

Carl.
Well, I am slowly turning on this issue. Fullbody workouts are a different mindset than splits. Splits in essence preach that if you don't do direct work for every bodypart it won't grow, or will shrink.

I have never performed direct hamstring work, done very little calf work, and don't do much bicep work. I also don't currently do any direct tricep work. Until recently I never did abs either. These are actually very strong areas for me.

I don't think you need to saturate every muscle group to make good progress. That's one of the "Jedi mind tricks" involved with making the switch over to a fullbody.

With that said, I personally would alternate calves and hamstring work every other workout if I did the Reeves. I work in leg curls right now into my fullbody.

I don't want to sound confusing with my conflicting advice. It's just that far too much emphasis is placed on smaller muscle groups in general in splits, when if fact, a hardcore volume for these parts may or may not needed - depending on the individual, and strength and weaknesses.

For example, people add reverse flyes for rear delts. I am of the strong opinion that that aren't anywhere near as effective for rear delts as heavy row work.

I think you are safe squatting 3x a week and not doing any direct hamstring work. I have weak hammies and feel squats in my hammies quite a bit. Some guys, like you, don't. But I don't think you will regress with hamstring mass. If anything the taxing format of squats 3x a week will help.

But could you add it in? Sure. I love big legs, and want to maximize hamstrings as much as possible. So If I were to do it I would alternate calf/hamstring work.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #23
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Thats a great idea to alternate calf and hammies as i have naturally large calves anyway (wellnot large, but largish ), they also tend to grow with little or no direct work. For instance i put 1/2 inch on them in 6-8 weeks with only hitting them about once per fortinght for 3 sets...

I think i will run it as is for at least 2-3 weeks then add the hammies in, in replacement for calves every other week. Thanks again for the stella advice Steve

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #24
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
Thanks again guys... real helpfull stuff.

@ strkout35... how long have you ran the full body routines for and how did you like them ?

Carl.
I ran starting strength for roughly 4-5 months recently and made great progress, I loved it. I've been on the reeves classic program for a little over a month now and I'm already seeing decent progress on that too
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #25
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Well, I am slowly turning on this issue. Fullbody workouts are a different mindset than splits. Splits in essence preach that if you don't do direct work for every bodypart it won't grow, or will shrink.

I have never performed direct hamstring work, done very little calf work, and don't do much bicep work. I also don't currently do any direct tricep work. Until recently I never did abs either. These are actually very strong areas for me.

I don't think you need to saturate every muscle group to make good progress. That's one of the "Jedi mind tricks" involved with making the switch over to a fullbody.

With that said, I personally would alternate calves and hamstring work every other workout if I did the Reeves. I work in leg curls right now into my fullbody.

I don't want to sound confusing with my conflicting advice. It's just that far too much emphasis is placed on smaller muscle groups in general in splits, when if fact, a hardcore volume for these parts may or may not needed - depending on the individual, and strength and weaknesses.

For example, people add reverse flyes for rear delts. I am of the strong opinion that that aren't anywhere near as effective for rear delts as heavy row work.

I think you are safe squatting 3x a week and not doing any direct hamstring work. I have weak hammies and feel squats in my hammies quite a bit. Some guys, like you, don't. But I don't think you will regress with hamstring mass. If anything the taxing format of squats 3x a week will help.

But could you add it in? Sure. I love big legs, and want to maximize hamstrings as much as possible. So If I were to do it I would alternate calf/hamstring work.
i just asked a question about this in my steve reeves question thread guess i should have read here first
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is online now   Reply With Quote