Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Abs Exercises, Abs Myths, Abs Tips!

I am writing a feature article in February on everyone's favorite topic...abs.

What I would like to know from you:

1) What are your favorite exercises for building abs thickness?
2) Do you have any favorite abs workouts, yours or a workout by another athlete?
3) What do you feel are the biggest myths about abs, having great abs, developing abs, whatever...???
4) Do you have any abs-related training or dieting tips, tricks, etc.?

...anything else on abs that you would like to get off your chest, or...err...stomach?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

1) for ab thickness i really like that cable rope crunches and weighted decline sit-ups

2) one of my favorite workouts is to alt. between weighted exercises and bodyweight:
example:
Cable Crunches: 3-4 sets of 8-12
Roman Chair Leg Raises: 3-4 sets to failure making sure its controlled motion
Decline Weighted Crunches: 3-4 sets of 8-12
Briefcase crunches: 3-4 sets to failure making sure its controlled motion

3) one of the main myths i believe is people thinking that doing crunches and abs everyday is going to give you a six pack. It really all comes down to diet and lowering your bf% in order to have your abs show. There are also many sides to how to train abs. Some don't train abs directly because they believe doing the compound lifts and keeping your core tight will train your abs enough and the other side thinks different. I feel you have to see what works for you.

4) sorry btb, i have no tricks

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Thanks D. Good stuff.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Everything that lets u use a heavy weight and a free rom (no ab machines please!)

Quote:
2) Do you have any favorite abs workouts, yours or a workout by another athlete?
I like doing Cable crunches to near failure (10-15 reps) and directly afterwards some bw exercise to failure for 3-5 sets, short rested.
3 sets of very high incline situps, almost vertical with a slow negative and explosive contraction, 10-15 reps.

Quote:
3) What do you feel are the biggest myths about abs, having great abs, developing abs, whatever...???
*That doing 300 bw crunches a day will get you a six pack. I havent tried it but its no different from other muscles - it reacts to progressive overload much better than to repeated motion in terms of growth.

Quote:
I work my abs mostly to get a good posture and to get abpressure up and stabilize my lower back while squatting and deadlifting, thats the purpose and its a core stabilizing muscle. Squatting, deadlifting, OHP, powercleans etc etc will target your abs in a way or another. Lots of compound movement will and i have experienced ab soreness without doing any direct ab work several times.

With this said, i belive that incorporating direct abwork into your heavy routine is a good thing, but it should not be focused upon. If your dieting and lifting heavy, and losing bf while, adding 10-15 mins of weighted abwork a couple of times a week, that will be enough imo.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
TitanWIP
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39

TitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good posts

What would you consider the best non-direct, non-isolation exercises for abs to be? Squats?
TitanWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I am writing a feature article in February on everyone's favorite topic...abs.

What I would like to know from you:

## Weighted Decline Crunches and Weighted Leg raises IMO will build good thick abs... progressive overload once or twice per week, just like any other muscle group
## Any Over head stuff really works the core well. TGU's O/H Squats things like that.
## Doing sit ups will give you abs, or the ab machines that are on the infomercials actually work. Its all usesless unless you have a low body fat. Abs really are built in the kitchen
## The big compunds will build nice abs all by themselves. if you really want to work on them great, but its not necessary IMO. I think core exercises are more inportant than crunches. Also if you want a stomach like the greats (Reeves, park etc) then try stomach vacuums... i think they are a forgotten exercise and could help a lot of people to get that washboard stomach.

...anything else on abs that you would like to get off your chest, or...err...stomach?
Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
butterZ83
New Brawn
Points: 1,086, Level: 17 Points: 1,086, Level: 17 Points: 1,086, Level: 17

Training Exp: 6 Months
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Flys
butterZ83 is off to a bad start

Does doing abs every day really help build muscle?
butterZ83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterZ83 View Post
Does doing abs every day really help build muscle?
NO definitel not. you wouldnt train every other muscle everyday and expecrt to see results so why do the abs ??? Train them with the same methodology as any other muscle. no more than twice pr week with resistence will definitely be sufficient to see results. remember you are using the core on a lot of the big compound lifts too, so training them directly everyday as well is just gonna lead to overkill.

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

^ Like Carl said...the "abs everyday" mentality is misguided. The thought is...more work equals defined abs. This is not the case. As with all muscle groups, abs training should be quality first, not quantity.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I'm in the camp of heavy compounds will hit your abs to a high degree.
Squats, deadlifts and varients of.

There are no tricks to ab work.

A fork is your greatest tool to having abs that you can see

Hanging leg raises are one of my staples for direct ab work. Even those involve hips to a high degree.

I think ab work falls inline with arm work in most peoples minds. They want to focus on the show muscle, without realizing the go muscles are what they should be working.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote