Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts
Default Frivolous And Probably a Bad Example - BUT

IS this an 'Arnold press'? And if so, what are it's special characteristics?

The guy seems to manage 6 reps twisting at the wrist while performing the motion - which to my mind is pointless, much like knocking the DBs together at the top of a bench movement.

The last 2 are normal DB overhead or major incline bench press, are they not?

But I reserve the right to be wrong.

I have to ask, because references to the 'Arnold press' come up frequently. And I know several people on MAB use them.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

That's not an Arnold press or a Scott press. It's a rotating dumbbell press, which I rarely see used.

I'm sure there is some funky name for them, like "The Bob Press" or "The Drunk German Press".

And yes, the last 2 are normal presses.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-06-2011 at 09:38 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Ah, thanks for this post, Ab.

I can't see the vid here, but it made me search for Arnold Presses again and I realize that my form (today) was not exactly as it should be.

I'll start correcting that next week.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

I cant see the vid at work, but I know a lot of people think that if you just turn your wrist in a normal Shoulder press then it is an Arnie. I think the point of an arnie press is to hit the lateral delt as well (I could be wrong) by moving the arms outwards as well as up. I have always done them so that the elbow comes out to the side which activates the lateral head first and turns the forearm, then there is a 'small' twist as you push up and use the anterior delt. If you are just pushing upwards and twisting the wrist how is it hitting more shoulder muscles. If you look at the technique here, there isnt that much twisting to be honest !! Arnold Press I could be completely wrong, but thats just how i have always done them...

hope this helps

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42

Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Yeah this isn't really an Arnie press, IMO. Not that I'm the world expert, I mean, obviously this guy is pretty big and he didn't get that way being an idiot. I suspect he's just kinda cheating for the video, to look like a badass.

I do them just like this and I think this is the standard (e.g. the way most of the free world does them when they're not trying to be showoffs):

Arnold Dumbbell Press

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
rippednmichigan
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn
Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
Yeah this isn't really an Arnie press, IMO. Not that I'm the world expert, I mean, obviously this guy is pretty big and he didn't get that way being an idiot. I suspect he's just kinda cheating for the video, to look like a badass.

I do them just like this and I think this is the standard (e.g. the way most of the free world does them when they're not trying to be showoffs):

Arnold Dumbbell Press
This is how I do them, good post Ev!
User owns 3x $30 I\'ll Pump You Up cash User owns 1x $20 I\'ll Pump You Up cash
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42

Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippednmichigan View Post
This is how I do them, good post Ev!
Thanks, man! I'm starting to get this stuff down!

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote