Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member
Default Arnolds routine

This is from the front of the site.

Arnold Schwarzenegger?s Workout Routine | Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.

Look at some of the comments. I'll add my own after while.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Young Arnold prior to volume training:

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Young Arnold prior to volume training:

and 100% natty right?
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanCT View Post
and 100% natty right?
Um...that would be a negative. Though at that age I don't think he was far from his natty potential. Maybe 5 pounds heavier.

Just speculating though.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I found this response post, lets call it, "interesting."

Quote:
Brett
September 4, 2010 | 1:47 am
What you have to be aware of is Arnold didn’t have a full time job like we do. He trained in the morning and again in the afternoon 6 days a week with 1 day of rest each week. If he had a job that consumed 8 – 9 hours of his day, he would not have had the energy left over for this kind of workout regime. I have to admit it is a full on workout program. I do honestly believe if he trained his entire body over 3 or even 4 days he would’ve grown a lot more in size over the years, like many pro body builders of today, who train their entire body over 5 or 6 days. Arnold was doing this workout program for years and his body was used to it. Maybe he felt at the time that if he stretched his entire body workout over more days of the week he would’ve gone backwards with his gains. Who knows? I honestly put it down to knowledge of the sport then as compared to now. It’s like anything. Only time and learning from the past will advance and improve on any system. Pro body builders of today who train their entire bodies over 5 to 6 days are overwhelmingly huge. Arnold has admitted increased knowledge and changes in today’s training principles have proven results in the size of competitors these days. Back in the 70′s pro body builders were massive, but they had nothing on the body builders of today who are way bigger, and have much more definition.

When I first started training when I was 15, I trained my entire body over 2 days, 6 days a week, just like Arnold. I thought it’d work for me. I did that for 2 years and thought I got pretty big. But I was constantly sore and tight and was never training a fresh muscle. Fatigue got the better of me and I gave it up for 12 months. I then went back a year later and trained my body over 3 days, twice a week with a day’s rest at the end of the week. I made even more gains a lot quicker than I had previously. But it did get to a point again eventually after 6 months where I was always sore and wasn’t recovering in time, but didn’t want to take days off to recuperate, because for some wierd reason I thought I’d lose gains. It was stupid I know. So I gave up again. Then went back again 6 months later and trained over a 4 day period instead with even better results. Workout days had an even more reduced number of exercises, which meant I could smash two body parts per day with max intensity like never before and receive even better gains. The body parts I was training every time were nice and fresh. I felt strong & fresh, not constantly sore & fatigued like I did previously when trying to cram so much into one workout. I’m 32 now and still train with this 4 day workout program. I usually have a day rest after each 4 days. So it’s more like a 5 day full body workout. I have to admit, I am not confident in training my whole body over 6 or 7 days to this day. I personally believe I’ll go backwards in gains doing that as I’d be resting trained muscles for too long. But it’d probably be even more benefitial to me to tell you the truth. I think this is what Arnie believed back in the day with his 2 day full body workout. He thought it worked for him, and he was not confident in stretching out his program over more days in the week even though I believe it would’ve been profoundly benefitial for him. I think his muscles would’ve had such little time to recuperate and it limited his growth gains while training so ballistically. I think there’s only 3 body parts that you can successfully get away with training so frequently at such intensity and still make gains on, and they’re the calves, abs and biceps. Arnie’s program was advanced for it’s time and was betetr than programs of the 50′s. Programs of the 90′s were better than Arnie’s program of the 60′s & 70′s. Programs of today are better than they were 10 years ago at a pro level, and in the future I’m sure they’ll improve again. Sorry for the length of my comment, but I felt I had to write this in such detail to get my point across. But make what you want of it. Feedback is welcomed.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

"Interesting" is being polite. The only body parts that can be successfully trained more than once a week are "calves, abs and biceps?"

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Overall a very interesting read. One quote I would like to comment on:

Quote:
Arnie’s program was advanced for it’s time and was better than programs of the 50′s. Programs of the 90′s were better than Arnie’s program of the 60′s & 70′s. Programs of today are better than they were 10 years ago at a pro level, and in the future I’m sure they’ll improve again.
Neither the poster (I assume), nor the bodybuilders of the 50's were taking steroids. This "evolution" of training has to be viewed through the lens of expanded drug use. There is no other way to view it.

Call it a warped evolution if you will.

I simply do not believe the workouts in the 50's were inferior because they were "old", or labeled as being in some "pre-evolutionary" stage. These workouts were evolved. It's not like men started lifting all of a sudden in 1950 and developed full body workouts.

The reason why these highly evolved natural bodybuilding workouts became "outdated", and the reason splits became popular is because of the mutually beneficial relationship between steroids and magazines. Whether they knew it or now, splits worked well when hand in hand with steroids. (This is not a condemnation of splits, but rather a look at history of bodybuilding)

The steroid game is about a battery of intense contractions, so volume training works well. Volume "forces" or moves a bodybuilder towards splits because you can't hit each bodypart for 20+ sets 3 times a week.

Arnold was caught in the middle of two eras. He was weened on fullbody workouts, but thrived in an era that started to split these workouts and focus on volume. He had volume and frequency, along with a very different approach to steroid use.

His competitive weight was around 235 pounds. His natural potential was around 210. So steroids "only" gave him a 25 pound advantage. In the modern era the combination of roids and HGH and other drugs can give a competitor a 60+ pound advantage (Dorian Yates, etc.).

I believe that Arnold had a very inefficient workout, but I don't believe this to be the difference between Arnold and modern bodybuilders. I believe that if Arnold had access to modern steroid and HGH cycles, he would have been much bigger.

I don't really think training has evolved all that much, though splits have defininitely refined themselves into a relaxed frequency for greater recovery. I think drugs have evolved.

Anyway...mileage may vary. Arnold made a big splash in the water, and as the ripples spread and smoothed out, routines did evolve slightly. But this happened pretty rapidly.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
"Interesting" is being polite.
I agree.

For so many people, the pre-Arnold era is a completely non-existent era of lifting history. It's like it never happened, and is meaningless.

Whether it's the Holy Grail of lifting, or not - it should be studied seriously by any natural looking to advise others in this game.

You simply can't frame a natural perspective by viewing it only with the lens of the steroid era.

(Not a condemnation of drugs...merely a reflection of the reality that natural training IS different.)

Old 12-29-2010, 02:01 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I will add that I find powerlifting workouts to be far more interesting than modern bodybuilding workouts, simply because of the uniqueness and variety of approaches.

They are much less, "100 ways to prepare an egg" than bodybuilding splits.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #10
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Steve, you beat me to it. I was gonna say the big difference was the drugs. Aslo, I have a problem with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
The only body parts that can be successfully trained more than once a week are "calves, abs and biceps?"
for 2 reasons. First it's a Wiederism and I am suspect of all Wiederisms. Second, Broz' results basically speak for themselves and he advocates squatting up to twice a day 5-6 days a week (10-12 total squat sessions)... although he's not a bodybuilder/trainer of bodybuilders muscles are muscles and growth is growth to a certain extent. Also, Chaos & Pain did a challenge where folks were doing any lift for 6 days straight and no one who particpated that I know of did not gain on that lift. And, that included at least 1 crazy **** who deadlifted all 6 days!
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote