Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   You are overtraining... (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4662)

dmaipa 11-12-2010 02:33 PM

You are overtraining...

I was approached today by one of the personal trainers at the gym. He's a pretty cool guy an every once in awhile we will have a conversation. Today he asked abou my workouts. I told him what I been doin lifting as well as cardio. After that he tells me that is some serious overtraining you should back off a bit. I just told him that we'll see what happens but I've been havin constant progression the way i've been doin things.

I believe that there are some guidelines and maybe if someone else saw my plan they would think I'm overtraining. I believe that there are programs, methods, and etc that are mainly guidelines. In my opinion I think if you are not afraid to go outside of the guidelines in a smart manner than you will not truly know what your potential is. I am finding that my body does best on a high volume/high frequency. As long as you are going about your program and paying attention to how your body feels both mentally and physically. Keep pushing the envelope because you will never know what you are truly capable of. That's just my 2 cents.

BendtheBar 11-12-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaipa (Post 92663)
As long as you are going about your program and paying attention to how your body feels both mentally and physically. Keep pushing the envelope because you will never know what you are truly capable of. That's just my 2 cents.

^ Good stuff.

I used to really fear overtraining. I did an Arnold split at the age of 20 for about 3-4 months and I was toast. I was tired, my back was killing me, and I felt like something was wrong.

Eventually I learned that training is an evolutionary process, and small changes over time are ok. Right now I rarely get much soreness anymore, and could train 7 days a week if I wanted to.

I think the big issue with training is that guys try to add too much, too soon with no reasoning behind it.

I am interviewing Tom Martin, a lifter who deadlifts over 700 at a bodyweight under 200, and he told me his secret was to slowly increase the volume. He squats every day of the week, and deadlifts (I believe) twice a week.

BTW, was this trainer as big, or as strong as you D?

PCT 11-12-2010 02:55 PM

if your eating and sleeping enough you wont over train

dmaipa 11-12-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 92667)
^ Good stuff.

BTW, was this trainer as big, or as strong as you D?

haha he's bigger than but not muscular I'm only pushing 5'8" and Im pretty much stronger than him. He's a mirror looker and walks around like his lats are huge.

big_swede 11-12-2010 03:58 PM

Theres no one-rule-fits-all when it comes to overtraining imo, everyone is different. Bottom line is that everyone will adapt, eventually.

The reason my max-squat every workout program failed was that i didnt have time to eat and sleep in sufficent amounts, for example.

Check out this article, i thought it was quite spot on when it comes to "overtraining".

Squatting Every Day and the John Broz Training Method

CoopDawg 11-12-2010 04:17 PM

dont even have to read the words just the subject to tell u overtraining is a myth, you ever notice guys from places where its 20 below will come somewhere wearing short sleeves in 35 degree weather, their body has adapted, and the guys who trains 6 days a week and rests 1 his body has adapted we were made to adapt

dmaipa 11-12-2010 04:45 PM

I feel the same way. You give your body some stress and it has to adapt to it...I mean you hve people who do manual labor everyday lifting things and everything. I remember when I was back in Hawaii working on a farm I was super sore during my first week of manual work but as the time went on my body got used to all the work.

big_swede 11-12-2010 04:47 PM

Exactly. Some guys work that way for their whole life, while eating like crap and drinking beer everyday and still are strong as hell.

andys_trim 11-12-2010 04:51 PM

I'd just say you worry about you and I'll worry about me.

jslep 11-12-2010 06:02 PM

just keep doin your thing D. no one will know if you are overtrainin but you. if you don't continue to make gains then maybe look back and see what you can change but if you are making gains then you are recovering and the "overtraining" BS means nothing.