Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor
Default Intermittent Fasting!

I know Steve does a variation of this, but does anyone else follow this kind of eating pattern?

For a long time I've been very anti-fasting, but I've been very, very curious about the IF principles after reading through Martin's blog:

Intermittent fasting for fat loss, muscle gain and health

So curious, in fact, I think I'm going to be crazy enough to try it. I'm not trying to lose fat by any means, but I am a BIG eater and like to feel quite full with meals. Also, this ensures I'll be able to experiment a little more with my cooking, as I'll have more calories to work with, seeing as they're not all spread over the day

I'm a HUGE breakfast person, and I absolutely love to eat breakfast...BUT, I'm willing to give this a try just for kicks. Besides, I can always eat pancakes or oatmeal PWO, heh. It's not the same as the WD, as you only fast for 14-16 hrs. and then eat for 8-9. And considering my schedule (school and training) it would actually be pretty convenient.

We'll see how it all works out. And if I don't like it, I can always switch back. Pretty simple.

http://www.fortheloveofcookies.wordpress.com

-------

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." - George Bernard Shaw

"Start wide, expand further, and never look back." -Arnold Schwarzenegger
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I'm sure that BAS and Jdalm have both tried it. Bumping so they see....

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Alot of paleo eating proponents push periods of feast and famine to mimic ancient people's diets more accurately. In fact, the guy who turned me on to the paleo diet basicaly eats one 3,000 calorie meal a day that simply consists of meat and maybe some fruit, and he eats this shortly after his workout or "hunt" to further mimic an ancient lifestyle.
Trevor Lane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
RickB
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

I skip a meal from time to time and I'm mentally torn about it. I think on the positive side, it's helping me lean a bit more, but on the negative side of it, it crushes my ego and I think I wonder how many pounds that will cost me on some lifts.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:37 AM   #5
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Whey Powder
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

I'll only be "fasting" if/when I'm homeless and living on the street.

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I skip a meal from time to time and I'm mentally torn about it. I think on the positive side, it's helping me lean a bit more, but on the negative side of it, it crushes my ego and I think I wonder how many pounds that will cost me on some lifts.
But see, this is a common misconception with fasting.

People automatically believe that fasting = muscle loss = strength loss. When in reality, as long as you're reaching all your protein and calorie needs in the last half of the day, your workouts and muscle won't suffer. Your body doesn't go catabolic if it doesn't eat every 2-3 hours. The body doesn't even fully digest food in the time frame you give it from it's last meal. Whether you spread 3000 calories throughout the day or eat them within 8 hours doesn't matter.

Your muscle/strength loss will depend on the type of calories and the amount of calories you're consuming in the day. NOT when you consume them.

-------

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." - George Bernard Shaw

Old 08-10-2010, 07:34 AM   #7
RickB
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32

RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezingstardust View Post
But see, this is a common misconception with fasting.

People automatically believe that fasting = muscle loss = strength loss. When in reality, as long as you're reaching all your protein and calorie needs in the last half of the day, your workouts and muscle won't suffer. Your body doesn't go catabolic if it doesn't eat every 2-3 hours. The body doesn't even fully digest food in the time frame you give it from it's last meal. Whether you spread 3000 calories throughout the day or eat them within 8 hours doesn't matter.

Your muscle/strength loss will depend on the type of calories and the amount of calories you're consuming in the day. NOT when you consume them.
I'm not saying that I truly believe in my fear...I'm just a tad OCD is all. You know how that can work despite what you know
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #8
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I'm not saying that I truly believe in my fear...I'm just a tad OCD is all. You know how that can work despite what you know
Haha, yeh I know what you mean. I was quite a firm believer that my body was catabolic the moment I wasn't stuffing my face We'll see if this proves me wrong.

-------

Old 08-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #9
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn

Okay, this is weird.

I'm 3.5 hours into my fast, and my energy is absolutely THROUGH THE ROOF. I feel like I'm buzzed out on like 4 coffees right now, haha. The 2nd hour was rough because I was a bit hungry, but I feel absolutely fantastic. My mind is totally clear, I'm super alert, and I feel like I've tapped into energy sources I never knew I had.

And I am NOT a morning person. At all.

I think I have just made a breakthrough

-------

Old 08-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezingstardust View Post
Okay, this is weird.

I'm 3.5 hours into my fast, and my energy is absolutely THROUGH THE ROOF. I feel like I'm buzzed out on like 4 coffees right now, haha.
Join the club.

When I fast in the manner I do, I RARELY ever feel sluggish during the day. It takes quite a bit of sleep deprivation to ruin my day. Before my Warrior Diet-esque approach, I was tired most days.

You might have a few low energy days during your first week, but after that, it's generally all good.

I don't know if you read Iron Addict's info on fasting, but he and I both came to the same conclusion...it's hard (for some - not all) to maintain muscle without eating some daily protein. I'm not telling you to immediately jump off your approach...I just want you to keep it in mind.

Each of us reacts differently, but if you do find yourself losing muscle, sip on whey or casein throughout the day.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-10-2010 at 10:06 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote