Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #31
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

What I am liking is that it does allow more room to eat what I enjoy. I am not tracking the macros too closely, as I eat fairly low carb by habit. I watch my total calories. Since I do not start eating until after noon, by dinner time I usually have 1500 - 2000 calories to play with, this leaves lots of options.

I have tracked what I have eaten and found I average about 4-500 cals under my calculated TDEE. I think, by my experience now, that my maintenance numbers are actually closer to the 2500 then 3000. At any rate, my weight has stayed pretty steady, but I a getting leaner. We will see at the end of my 16 week transformation challenge.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #32
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts
Default IM The Wrong Way

I used an unwitting version of Intermittent Fasting in 2001/02.

I say unwitting, because I had no idea what IM was at the time; I'd not heard of it, I simply did what worked for me.

My schedule was like this (times are all approximate):

8:30am: Woke, dressed and out the door, cycling to the gym (about 12-15 minutes ride, mostly uphill)
9:00am - 10:15am: Training
10:30am: warmdown cycle home

Once home I would gorge myself on high protein foods like:
a double scoop whey matrix shake, a large tin of tuna, and/or if I had the time a 3 egg and cheese omelette (1 yolk) or a large piece of steak.

I would then shower and go to work for 12:00noon.

I did not eat again until the evening - usually a shake around 6:00pm and dinner a couple of hours later. Again, high protein foods with no attention paid to good nutrition. I only knew carbs and fats were not muscle building, and avoided them like the plague. Not smart.

As a result of this, I was able to shred fat effectively. If my calliper measurements were done properly, I tipped the scale at 94 kgs (207 lbs) on 5% body fat.

I was also perpetually tired, irritable and completely disinterested in anything other than my training...

I had what felt like heaps of energy first thing in the morning. But I was on auto pilot at this time of the day (higher brain function was limited) so it might have just been the conditioning. This high petered out rapidly.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #33
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
I used an unwitting version of Intermittent Fasting in 2001/02.

I say unwitting, because I had no idea what IM was at the time; I'd not heard of it, I simply did what worked for me.

My schedule was like this (times are all approximate):

8:30am: Woke, dressed and out the door, cycling to the gym (about 12-15 minutes ride, mostly uphill)
9:00am - 10:15am: Training
10:30am: warmdown cycle home

Once home I would gorge myself on high protein foods like:
a double scoop whey matrix shake, a large tin of tuna, and/or if I had the time a 3 egg and cheese omelette (1 yolk) or a large piece of steak.

I would then shower and go to work for 12:00noon.

I did not eat again until the evening - usually a shake around 6:00pm and dinner a couple of hours later. Again, high protein foods with no attention paid to good nutrition. I only knew carbs and fats were not muscle building, and avoided them like the plague. Not smart.

As a result of this, I was able to shred fat effectively. If my calliper measurements were done properly, I tipped the scale at 94 kgs (207 lbs) on 5% body fat.

I was also perpetually tired, irritable and completely disinterested in anything other than my training...

I had what felt like heaps of energy first thing in the morning. But I was on auto pilot at this time of the day (higher brain function was limited) so it might have just been the conditioning. This high petered out rapidly.
Whoa, Keto and IM at the same time. Keto is tough enough on its own. While I eat relatively low carb, I am making sure I get some carbs and fats. I am also making liberal use of BCAA. I drink X-Tend throughout the morning and pre-training. I have not experienced any of the negative symptoms you did.

Squat 308 315
Deadlift 408 375

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
Old 02-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #34
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
Anybody else eating IF style or Warrior Style? Lets talk about your experiences.
I'm still eating this way, but taking in protein during the day. Been eating this way for over 2 years. Was losing muscle without the daily protein, but now with it I am good to go.

I love this lifestyle. It suits my needs. I am a big night time eater.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #35
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
Whoa, Keto and IM at the same time. Keto is tough enough on its own. While I eat relatively low carb, I am making sure I get some carbs and fats. I am also making liberal use of BCAA. I drink X-Tend throughout the morning and pre-training. I have not experienced any of the negative symptoms you did.
That would be because you are doing it right. I did not.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:59 AM   #36
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

You should be careful changing diets and experimenting with new things so close before a meet. You feel more energy because is burning up more resources because your not supplying it with them and you just started. Once your body realized it is not going to get any additional resources it will shut down and have a catabolic effect, hench why this form of fasting is strategically placed.

Never the less the reason why so many diets work and fail interchangeably is because the body adapts differently based on your age, gender, activity level, genetics, life style and eating habits.

Might want to ask elliot hulse for his opinion (he is a strength coach and pro strongman) as he promotes this type of diet.

Personally I agree with DW. Safe the fasting for the bums and the Martyrs.lol
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:02 AM   #37
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member
Default Slight Revision

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWeasel View Post
I'll only be "fasting" if/when I'm homeless and living on the street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
You should be careful changing diets and experimenting with new things so close before a meet. You feel more energy because is burning up more resources because your not supplying it with them and you just started. Once your body realized it is not going to get any additional resources it will shut down and have a catabolic effect, hench why this form of fasting is strategically placed.

Never the less the reason why so many diets work and fail interchangeably is because the body adapts differently based on your age, gender, activity level, genetics, life style and eating habits.

Might want to ask elliot hulse for his opinion (he is a strength coach and pro strongman) as he promotes this type of diet.

YouTube - Fat Burning & Muscle Diet Plan

Personally I agree with DW. Safe the fasting for the bums and the Martyrs.lol
Slight revision, I take fasting as not eating, I think this thread just meant in 3-6hour intervals,even 9-12 hours is by my definitions isn't really what i would call fasting. My prior response is more so geared to a full on 24 hour fast.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #38
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
Nope. The body doesn't become catabolic until you've gone past 32 hours of fasting. Your muscle does not break down in a 16-20 hour fast.

You are still eating during the day, you are just not eating in the morning. The common misconception is that your body NEEDS to be fueled every 2-3 hours, which simply isn't true. Your body is still digesting your food from the previous day, most of the time.

I've been eating this way since I started this thread, and have had no strength or muscle loss whatsoever. I typically have nothing except cream in my coffee until about 3pm.

http://www.fortheloveofcookies.wordpress.com

-------

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." - George Bernard Shaw

"Start wide, expand further, and never look back." -Arnold Schwarzenegger
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #39
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezingstardust View Post
Nope. The body doesn't become catabolic until you've gone past 32 hours of fasting. Your muscle does not break down in a 16-20 hour fast.

You are still eating during the day, you are just not eating in the morning. The common misconception is that your body NEEDS to be fueled every 2-3 hours, which simply isn't true. Your body is still digesting your food from the previous day, most of the time.

I've been eating this way since I started this thread, and have had no strength or muscle loss whatsoever. I typically have nothing except cream in my coffee until about 3pm.
Truth!

I have accomplished more PR's since I started my Leangains style IF, then I did trying to eat 6 times a day and always worrying about food.

Squat 308 315
Deadlift 408 375

Old 02-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #40
BigFiveFive
White Mamba
Max Brawn
Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows
Fav Supp: AMS Pump Fixx
BigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributor

I'm gunna give the hybrid dieting a shot. It fits my workout schedule pretty nicely and makes sense. Done a little research on some of the data given.

Get your Fixx at the Muscle and Strength store!
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/sto...e-science.html

Or our online store!
www.advancedmusclescience.com

Don't talk about it, Be about it
!

TEAM THOR!
BigFiveFive is offline   Reply With Quote