Muscle and Brawn Forums
 

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 01:59 AM   #1
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
kman025's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 4,829
Reputation: 26022
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine
Default ARMY info? Military Police info?

I know a lot of you guys have been in the army. I'm just exploring my options & thought i'd come here as i dont know anyone (at least that i know well) in the army. and i'm not about to go to a recruiting station, as i'd probably walk out and then be shipped off somewhere a few months later

As bad as this sounds- my motivation isn't to serve our country. NOT THAT I DONT LOVE THE UNITED STATES, just saying this isn't my primary motivation. I dont want this to turn into a political debate thread, but i should state i'm not particulary motivated to fight in the current "war". there are things i'd be willing to die for, but getting my head blown off in the current citation is NOT one of them.

What's sparking my interest are the benefits. There are too many to list, but there are some, lol.

I'm not saying i wouldnt go to a foreign country or be in a "war zone", just that i'd wouldnt want to be a front line guy or whatever.

----
do you pretty much have to start as a basic private or whatever before you can move on to something else?

so what im trying to find out is, what are some of the "safer" jobs out there, if any?

the reason i mention this in particular is because i've thought of being a cop, but this seems similar+ a ton of benefits--- anyone have information of being a Military Police Officer? do you have to have prior army experience or anything? is it a hard area of the army to get into? is this mainly for bases in the US or also overseas?


thanks guys with any help i can get

not trying to come off as an ass or anything else- just trying to explore my options
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
__________________
I <3 front squats

Last edited by kman025; 07-30-2010 at 02:07 AM.
kman025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2010, 04:29 AM   #2
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
 
DieselWeasel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,670
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Whey Powder
Reputation: 74259
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast
Default

I'm drunk and really trying to restrain myself from releasing a bunch of expletives in your direction, kman. I'll come back to this thread when I'm sober.
__________________
Journal: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...s-journal.html
Videos: http://youtube.com/maxbm

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:47 AM   #3
nighttrain
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
nighttrain's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,646
Training Exp: 20+
Reputation: 69074
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast
Default

Kman--- PM me and i will help you out, kinda point you in the right direction... but you must understand that there are very few jobs in the Army where you will never see "combat" or the current war.... and militray police is not one you wanna get into if you dont want to see the war...... moving to PM whenever you send one and i will answer tonight when i get home form work....
__________________
Support our Troops
nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:56 AM   #4
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
 
Trevor Lane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 2,451
Training Exp: A few
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Reputation: 57912
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast
Default

Kman, any job in the Army will likely see deployment/combat, but you can pick a job that will get you a more marketable skill after your service is over. As far as getting more rank before coming in, there are basically 2 ways. 1 is to have a college degree, if you have an associates you'll automatically be an E-3 and if you have a bachelors you get E-4. Also with a college degree, you can become an Officer instead of enlisting. 2nd is to be an Eagle Scout and I believe they make you an E-2 or E-3 for that. I personally would explore other branches of service to minimize deployment chances or at least length, epsecially the Air Force or the Coast Guard. Hopefully that helps.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%
 
BendtheBar's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 80,900
Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
Reputation: 2581830
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default

One thing I recommend is doing your homework. Research military jobs that are less likely to put you on the front lines like Unit Supply Specialist or Cook. Sure, you might get deployed, but you can go into the recruiter's office, say I want this, this or this, and if he won't help you, go the the recruiter in the next town.

And I agree with Trevor...explore other branches. I would try Air Force first. I don't know much about the Navy.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."


BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
kman025's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 4,829
Reputation: 26022
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine
Default

ok, sorry guys i can see how some of that came across as bad, but i have to stand by it.... it's very hard for me to justify risking my life for what's going on over in the middle east.

i want to change some things- yes the benefits are sweet and thats one reason i want to join- i would have no problem fighting/risking my life for a cause i believe in, just that i dont want to go what i consider bull****.

i shouldnt say i dont want to fight. i just dont want to be your basic whatever, where it seems they just stick anyone in (when people say the army will accept nearly anyone).
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
__________________
I <3 front squats
kman025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
 
ElementalVirago's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 928
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Lard
Reputation: 41901
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine
Default

Kman - I think most guys go into the military, not because they have an overwhelming sense of patriotism, but because they are interested in the personal benefits. One thing I would caution you on is this: recruiters will pretty much tell you whatever you want to hear just so they can get you in the door, so they are very prone to tell you "oh you'll probably never see combat". They don't care because once you sign your name on the dotted line, you belong to them and that's that. That's straight from the lips of an army recruiter. I just want you to be aware that nothing is guaranteed. If you sign up for the military, don't think for one minute that you can't be called to duty.
__________________
"Somewhere, someone isn't impressed by your looks. Not all men jump through the hoops of your fire. You're unbelievably boring to more people than you'll ever know." --Henry Rollins

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%
 
BendtheBar's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 80,900
Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
Reputation: 2581830
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default

There is nothing wrong with serving your country, and having your own opinion. That's what this country is about. There is also nothing wrong with trying to avoid being a meat shield (being on the front lines).

I know that if any of us were called to battle, we would do it with as much bravery as we could muster. But that doesn't mean we are less brave if we don't want to be Infantry.

Make sure you have a list of MOS positions you would accept, and don't sign up unless you get what you want.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."



Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-30-2010 at 12:10 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
kman025's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 4,829
Reputation: 26022
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWeasel View Post
I'm drunk and really trying to restrain myself from releasing a bunch of expletives in your direction, kman. I'll come back to this thread when I'm sober.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain View Post
Kman--- PM me and i will help you out, kinda point you in the right direction... but you must understand that there are very few jobs in the Army where you will never see "combat" or the current war.... and militray police is not one you wanna get into if you dont want to see the war...... moving to PM whenever you send one and i will answer tonight when i get home form work....
not sure if there's even any specific questions to PM...

last night i wrote this post after working all day at like 3 in the morning... obviously i'm probably going to at one point see combat if in the army... basically i just want to know which jobs will be the "safest"/have the most benefits/set me up for an army career or for my future career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Lane View Post
Kman, any job in the Army will likely see deployment/combat, but you can pick a job that will get you a more marketable skill after your service is over. As far as getting more rank before coming in, there are basically 2 ways. 1 is to have a college degree, if you have an associates you'll automatically be an E-3 and if you have a bachelors you get E-4. Also with a college degree, you can become an Officer instead of enlisting. 2nd is to be an Eagle Scout and I believe they make you an E-2 or E-3 for that. I personally would explore other branches of service to minimize deployment chances or at least length, epsecially the Air Force or the Coast Guard. Hopefully that helps.
thanks a lot, this really helps. that's what i wanted to know. from the little research i did, i found out i dont want to be an E-1 haha, that may be a better route.

also Air Force sounds pretty badass, depending on what the job. this is one of the things i'm wondering- i've seen the videos of the guys in planes or whatever who man guns, ect. how hard is a job like that to come by?

also i'm not too fond of being on a boat for a prolonged period of time, so i'm guessing coast guard is out of the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
One thing I recommend is doing your homework. Research military jobs that are less likely to put you on the front lines like Unit Supply Specialist or Cook. Sure, you might get deployed, but you can go into the recruiter's office, say I want this, this or this, and if he won't help you, go the the recruiter in the next town.

And I agree with Trevor...explore other branches. I would try Air Force first. I don't know much about the Navy.
thanks and that's what i've heard.





I want to make my self clear- part of the reason for considering doing this is because i love and want to serve this country. right now things are looking up in my regular life- connections for future jobs, ect so i i dont "need to join". the reasons are to serve the country and the benefits-
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
__________________
I <3 front squats
kman025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
kman025's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 4,829
Reputation: 26022
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
Kman - I think most guys go into the military, not because they have an overwhelming sense of patriotism, but because they are interested in the personal benefits. One thing I would caution you on is this: recruiters will pretty much tell you whatever you want to hear just so they can get you in the door, so they are very prone to tell you "oh you'll probably never see combat". They don't care because once you sign your name on the dotted line, you belong to them and that's that. That's straight from the lips of an army recruiter. I just want you to be aware that nothing is guaranteed. If you sign up for the military, don't think for one minute that you can't be called to duty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
There is nothing wrong with serving your country, and having your own opinion. That's what this country is about. There is also nothing wrong with trying to avoid being a meat shield (being on the front lines).

I know that if any of us were called to battle, we would do it with as much bravery as we could muster. But that doesn't mean we are less brave if we don't want to be Infantry.

Make sure you have a list of MOS positions you would accept, and don't sign up unless you get what you want.
thanks to both of you. i've heard recruiters kind of suck and that you should make sure to get everything in writing and make sure you know what your signing up for before you sign.

haha, yes i would like to avoid being a "human meat shield". it's not as much not wanting to be in combat, just not a "human meat shield".

thanks for the info
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
__________________
I <3 front squats
kman025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
army, info, military, police


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ultrareps info bamazav Nutrition, Diet and Supplements 9 12-11-2012 09:23 PM
Some info about Fat... Carl1174 Nutrition, Diet and Supplements 7 05-20-2011 10:29 AM
Kettlebell info thread 5kgLifter Kettlebell Training 20 02-15-2011 05:30 PM
Only workout info you will ever need BendtheBar Articles 7 03-09-2010 01:25 AM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.