Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
JBlack16
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,155, Level: 28 Points: 2,155, Level: 28 Points: 2,155, Level: 28
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

JBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributor
Default Losing my motivation!!!

LOST MY MOTIVATION HELP!!!

It has been forever since I last went to the gym it seems. Honestly I don't know what to do. I think I am getting fatter, because I fit these jeans perfectly about 3 monthes ago and now they don't fit in the waist anymore WTF!!!! I am mad as hell because I bought them as outfits. So I need to start losing some of this fat on my stomach. Anybody have any ideas on what to do? I think I am going to start eating very clean because I have been eating TERRIBLE the last couple weeks! I feel bad because I haven't even hit the gym in a while! I am losing motivation because all it seems is that my waist size is going up and none of my lifts are going up. I am though considering buying a power rack and some weights so I don't have any excuses to miss the gym and can workout anytime I want!
I really feel like crap and hopefuly I can get back on track. Due to my busy work schedule since 2 people quit.

What are some good ab exercises to do to get me back down to my 32 inch waist?!?
JBlack16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

i didnt read all of this... i'm about to head out the door lol.

i've lost motivation too mostly because i'm always worn out after work... just make it to the gym whenever possible man, even if you have a ****ty early workout. i've been doing this and at least getting to the gym 4 times a week. it's kept me from getting too out of shape while my diets been ****.
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 07-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

My primary motivation is results. I know that's kind of working backwards (you have to have motivation to work out, and working out provides results, the results motivate you to work out) but once you start to see results, that can fuel you BIG time.

As far as the abs, I'm a firm believer that diet is the primary factor in ab definition (and obviously I can speak from experience) so yes, a clean diet is essential. Nothing like junk food and beer to get that big belly you never wanted, right? In the gym focus more on compound lifts - kill the squats and deadlifts, IMO...anything that will work the core while getting a full body workout. Don't worry about crunches and whatnot, not yet anyway.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Option is always there to come and lift down here in CR with us man. I know youre almost an hour away but one day a week or something maybe. Private Gym full of strongman and powerlifting equipment. Sometimes getting with a few other people really drives motivation through the roof.
JB, I'd take him up on this if I were you.

I have to agree with some things BTB said. Hopefully you kept a notebook or something. If so, pick it up and revisit your goals. Get your mind back into the state it was in when you were motivated. Don't worry about posting big numbers. This isn't a contest. This is a way of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
My primary motivation is results. I know that's kind of working backwards (you have to have motivation to work out, and working out provides results, the results motivate you to work out) but once you start to see results, that can fuel you BIG time.

As far as the abs, I'm a firm believer that diet is the primary factor in ab definition (and obviously I can speak from experience) so yes, a clean diet is essential. Nothing like junk food and beer to get that big belly you never wanted, right? In the gym focus more on compound lifts - kill the squats and deadlifts, IMO...anything that will work the core while getting a full body workout. Don't worry about crunches and whatnot, not yet anyway.
Pretty much Gospel. I couldn't have said it any better.

Good luck to ya, JB. You're not in this alone, but no one can make you do it either. My experience has been that if I've had a layoff and don't feel like doing it anymore, I've just got to do it once. Put the lifting first, and do it once. Then the rest, for me anyway, will start to fall in place. If I'm lifting, I'll be more focused on eating right, then proper supplementation, then proper rest. For me, it takes that first visit to the gym. And since you're going to be sore anyway, you might as well make it a squat day.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
JBlack16
Uber Brawn

JBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributor

Thanks for all the encouraging words of wisdom. Very helpful to help me get back on track in the right direction. Hopefully on Sunday, I can go to the place that has the power rack so I can workout in my basement.

I did come up with a diet plan to help me instead of eating junk food. Also going to start a new notebook when I get a power rack hopefully!

EDIT: just got done with a quick workout at the gym, and feeling good.

Deadlift
135x5
185x2x5

Overhead Press
95x3x5

Chin up Hold
3x 20 seconds

Dips
2x10

Now I think I am going to do some planks and oblique exercises

Last edited by JBlack16; 07-07-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Good going, JB. Sometimes just sticking your toe in the water is all it takes.

I'm envious of the chinup holds. I couldn't do that to save my life. I tried doing chins in between bench sets tonight. Fuggetaboutit! Couldn't eke out 1.

Keep it up. You aren't a couch potato anymore.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
JBlack16
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
Good going, JB. Sometimes just sticking your toe in the water is all it takes.

I'm envious of the chinup holds. I couldn't do that to save my life. I tried doing chins in between bench sets tonight. Fuggetaboutit! Couldn't eke out 1.

Keep it up. You aren't a couch potato anymore.
lol I cant do a chin up either, read somewhere that if u do those u can mabe squeak one out haha.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

JB...It happens from time to time. Don't feel like you're unique. It happens to the best of us.

My recommendation is to get back in touch with your goal. What exactly do you want? If you know that, then try to figure out an easy way to work towards it. Like training only twice a week right now. There is no sense killing yourself trying to hit the gym 5 times a week when motivation is low.

I also recommend surrounding yourself with things that keep you motivated and focused on your goal. A magazine, book, or even a forum. If I am not around things that keep me focused, it's easier to lose focus. If Arnold motivates you, go read his book.

I would also write down a hard and fast time twice a week that you WILL workout, no matter how you feel. Do not let anything come between you and your workout. You will feel better when the workout is done, even if you feel like crap going in. Force yourself to stick to plan.

Or make us guys on the forum hold you accountable. Make a plan, and tell us to keep on your ass.

Another this to motivate...read some transformations:

Body Transformations - Muscle & Strength Article Database | Muscle & Strength

I don't have all the answers, but man, I do want you to succeed. Let me know if I can do anything.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I also forgot...there is a lot of pressure to put up big numbers, and to me more massive than the next guy. Forget all that and find a way to make training fun. Pick a program you want to do, even if it's Mike Mentzer's Heavy Duty. If it isn't fun, it will be just like another job.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I also forgot...there is a lot of pressure to put up big numbers, and to me more massive than the next guy. Forget all that and find a way to make training fun. Pick a program you want to do, even if it's Mike Mentzer's Heavy Duty. If it isn't fun, it will be just like another job.
this... maybe your tired of the 3x5 world
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)