Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Losing my motivation!!! (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3703)

JBlack16 07-06-2010 12:34 AM

Losing my motivation!!!

LOST MY MOTIVATION HELP!!!

It has been forever since I last went to the gym it seems. Honestly I don't know what to do. I think I am getting fatter, because I fit these jeans perfectly about 3 monthes ago and now they don't fit in the waist anymore WTF!!!! I am mad as hell because I bought them as outfits. So I need to start losing some of this fat on my stomach. Anybody have any ideas on what to do? I think I am going to start eating very clean because I have been eating TERRIBLE the last couple weeks! I feel bad because I haven't even hit the gym in a while! I am losing motivation because all it seems is that my waist size is going up and none of my lifts are going up. I am though considering buying a power rack and some weights so I don't have any excuses to miss the gym and can workout anytime I want!
I really feel like crap and hopefuly I can get back on track. Due to my busy work schedule since 2 people quit.

What are some good ab exercises to do to get me back down to my 32 inch waist?!?

kman025 07-06-2010 08:23 AM

i didnt read all of this... i'm about to head out the door lol.

i've lost motivation too mostly because i'm always worn out after work... just make it to the gym whenever possible man, even if you have a ****ty early workout. i've been doing this and at least getting to the gym 4 times a week. it's kept me from getting too out of shape while my diets been ****.

ElementalVirago 07-06-2010 08:36 AM

My primary motivation is results. I know that's kind of working backwards (you have to have motivation to work out, and working out provides results, the results motivate you to work out) but once you start to see results, that can fuel you BIG time.

As far as the abs, I'm a firm believer that diet is the primary factor in ab definition (and obviously I can speak from experience) so yes, a clean diet is essential. Nothing like junk food and beer to get that big belly you never wanted, right? In the gym focus more on compound lifts - kill the squats and deadlifts, IMO...anything that will work the core while getting a full body workout. Don't worry about crunches and whatnot, not yet anyway.

BendtheBar 07-06-2010 08:39 AM

JB...It happens from time to time. Don't feel like you're unique. It happens to the best of us.

My recommendation is to get back in touch with your goal. What exactly do you want? If you know that, then try to figure out an easy way to work towards it. Like training only twice a week right now. There is no sense killing yourself trying to hit the gym 5 times a week when motivation is low.

I also recommend surrounding yourself with things that keep you motivated and focused on your goal. A magazine, book, or even a forum. If I am not around things that keep me focused, it's easier to lose focus. If Arnold motivates you, go read his book.

I would also write down a hard and fast time twice a week that you WILL workout, no matter how you feel. Do not let anything come between you and your workout. You will feel better when the workout is done, even if you feel like crap going in. Force yourself to stick to plan.

Or make us guys on the forum hold you accountable. Make a plan, and tell us to keep on your ass.

Another this to motivate...read some transformations:

Body Transformations - Muscle & Strength Article Database | Muscle & Strength

I don't have all the answers, but man, I do want you to succeed. Let me know if I can do anything.

BendtheBar 07-06-2010 08:47 AM

I also forgot...there is a lot of pressure to put up big numbers, and to me more massive than the next guy. Forget all that and find a way to make training fun. Pick a program you want to do, even if it's Mike Mentzer's Heavy Duty. If it isn't fun, it will be just like another job.

kman025 07-06-2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 68312)
I also forgot...there is a lot of pressure to put up big numbers, and to me more massive than the next guy. Forget all that and find a way to make training fun. Pick a program you want to do, even if it's Mike Mentzer's Heavy Duty. If it isn't fun, it will be just like another job.

this... maybe your tired of the 3x5 world

CallmeKing 07-06-2010 10:32 AM

Nice to see you back JB. Some things that always helped me with motivation is setting goals. Like maybe your goal would be to fit in your pants by the end of the month. The thing that's hard about motivation is that it comes from within and everyone has something diffirent that will motivate them. When I set goals it helps me focus on what I need to make happen and not what has already happend and I can't control at that moment.

Marc 07-06-2010 05:11 PM

Option is always there to come and lift down here in CR with us man. I know youre almost an hour away but one day a week or something maybe. Private Gym full of strongman and powerlifting equipment. Sometimes getting with a few other people really drives motivation through the roof.

onetiredkris 07-06-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBlack16 (Post 68285)
LOST MY MOTIVATION HELP!!!

It has been forever since I last went to the gym it seems. Honestly I don't know what to do. I think I am getting fatter, because I fit these jeans perfectly about 3 monthes ago and now they don't fit in the waist anymore WTF!!!! I am mad as hell because I bought them as outfits. So I need to start losing some of this fat on my stomach. Anybody have any ideas on what to do? I think I am going to start eating very clean because I have been eating TERRIBLE the last couple weeks! I feel bad because I haven't even hit the gym in a while! I am losing motivation because all it seems is that my waist size is going up and none of my lifts are going up. I am though considering buying a power rack and some weights so I don't have any excuses to miss the gym and can workout anytime I want!
I really feel like crap and hopefuly I can get back on track. Due to my busy work schedule since 2 people quit.

Just drag yourself into the gym and start picking up weights buddy. I dont want to do **** either sometimes but i force myself into the gym and magic just starts happening.

Maybe its time for a routine change to stimulate stagnant training?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBlack16 (Post 68285)
LOST What are some good ab exercises to do to get me back down to my 32 inch waist?!?

No exercise is going to slim your waist down, only diet and cardio will give you that effect.

big valsalva 07-06-2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc (Post 68385)
Option is always there to come and lift down here in CR with us man. I know youre almost an hour away but one day a week or something maybe. Private Gym full of strongman and powerlifting equipment. Sometimes getting with a few other people really drives motivation through the roof.

JB, I'd take him up on this if I were you.

I have to agree with some things BTB said. Hopefully you kept a notebook or something. If so, pick it up and revisit your goals. Get your mind back into the state it was in when you were motivated. Don't worry about posting big numbers. This isn't a contest. This is a way of life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElementalVirago (Post 68310)
My primary motivation is results. I know that's kind of working backwards (you have to have motivation to work out, and working out provides results, the results motivate you to work out) but once you start to see results, that can fuel you BIG time.

As far as the abs, I'm a firm believer that diet is the primary factor in ab definition (and obviously I can speak from experience) so yes, a clean diet is essential. Nothing like junk food and beer to get that big belly you never wanted, right? In the gym focus more on compound lifts - kill the squats and deadlifts, IMO...anything that will work the core while getting a full body workout. Don't worry about crunches and whatnot, not yet anyway.

Pretty much Gospel. I couldn't have said it any better.

Good luck to ya, JB. You're not in this alone, but no one can make you do it either. My experience has been that if I've had a layoff and don't feel like doing it anymore, I've just got to do it once. Put the lifting first, and do it once. Then the rest, for me anyway, will start to fall in place. If I'm lifting, I'll be more focused on eating right, then proper supplementation, then proper rest. For me, it takes that first visit to the gym. And since you're going to be sore anyway, you might as well make it a squat day.