Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine
Default Egg Freak in a Small Town

Rant

Once. Just ONCE I would like to be able to buy eggs and not be given the third degree or the hairy eye. Every time I buy eggs, whether it's at the Farmer's Market (I likes the free-range chickies) or the grocery store, I'm always fielding the question about...why? And what the hey? Why on Earth do you need all these eggs, lady? You know it's not Easter or anything...right?

Case in point. Went to the FM this morning and got only 4 dozen eggs. Only 4 because I have 3 dozen at the house already from the grocery store. The lady selling them to me looks at me and says, "Um...are these all for you? Or are you like, buying eggs for other people or something?" She was genuinely confused. I simply said, "They're all for me. Yeah, I know, I just eat a lot of eggs." She looked at me like I had horns growing out of my head and I'm thinking...WTF do you CARE what I'm doing with them? I'm patronizing your egg stand and paying good money for them to boot. I could have some weird egg fetish whereby I get off by sitting home on a Saturday night and shoving eggs up my squish mitten while I cluck like a chicken. Who cares? I once saw a guy buying a case of Vienna sausage and 6 tubes of KY Jelly but he flew right on past the checker without so much as a view askance. But ooh, buy 6 dozen eggs, and everyone's gotta come look at the freakshow!

Then I realized that more and more I'm having to explain other things I do to people. Like when I ask "is this fat free cottage cheese or 4% or what?" and the lunch lady looks at me like I just asked her for her firstborn child. Or my personal favorite, having to explain to 99% of the patrons of the bar what this substance is that I'm drinking and why I am drinking it. I calmly and slowly explain that it is called "water" and when I inevitably get the confused look (and I always do), I explain that it's the same stuff that's in the ice in their drink. Nothing trips people up more than a chick at a bar that doesn't drink. But I digress.

This has really been bothering me as of late, because I don't think I should be compelled to explain myself to anyone (esp. when you're paying good money for their wares), but then I started to consider something, and that thing is this: When you do extraordinary things, ordinary people are going to question it. So, if I look at it THAT way, I feel more like an extraordinary person than a freak and that's not such a bad thing to be.

/Rant

What about you guys? Do you guys encounter scrutiny about your lifestyle choices? How do you handle it?

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
What about you guys? Do you guys encounter scrutiny about your lifestyle choices? How do you handle it?
f**k 'em. do what you want. if i want to do something, i do it

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Quote:
squish mitten
LMFAO!!!

We always by eggs in the 5 dozen packages and the only **** I've ever gotten was from a coworker who actually believes the Government is the best source for nutirtional advice. I told him I eat 5-6 a day and 1 or 2 are raw. He goes on this shpeel, like I actually give a **** what he's saying, telling me how you're only supposed to eat a max of 6 a week and always cooked or you'll get sick. I simply replied that I could bench him for reps and not tire
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
CallmeKing
Max Brawn
Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

CallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributor

I never have trouble I buy the eggs in the 5 dozen box. Some lady did ask if I was planning on doing someting unfavorable with the eggs I bought but, it was like midnight when I got them.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
CallmeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn

ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Lane View Post
LMFAO!!!

We always by eggs in the 5 dozen packages and the only **** I've ever gotten was from a coworker who actually believes the Government is the best source for nutirtional advice. I told him I eat 5-6 a day and 1 or 2 are raw. He goes on this shpeel, like I actually give a **** what he's saying, telling me how you're only supposed to eat a max of 6 a week and always cooked or you'll get sick. I simply replied that I could bench him for reps and not tire
Lulz...fortunately I haven't really encountered anyone trying to give me nutritional advice. I live in an area of the country where most women are overweight so I really HOPE none of them try to counsel me haha. And yeah, squish mitten. You know you're gonna use that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkout35
f**k 'em. do what you want. if i want to do something, i do it
I'm not saying I'm going to stop doing what I'm doing, I just find it very interesting that people are so nosy. It'd be one thing if they were genuinely interested in my diet, because they wanted to learn from me or something. But this is...almost like judgement.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

Old 07-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

i only buy from costco. and they are used to that ****.

aint nothing wrong with clucking like a chicken

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Quote:
Lulz...fortunately I haven't really encountered anyone trying to give me nutritional advice. I live in an area of the country where most women are overweight so I really HOPE none of them try to counsel me haha. And yeah, squish mitten. You know you're gonna use that now.
I'm gonna ask the wife for some squish mitten tomorrow
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:28 AM   #8
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Whey Powder
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

Two words: F*ck 'em.

If they're ignorant, that's their problem.

Stay strong.

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:52 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I get the third degree with how many tomatoes I eat. I literally eat about 30 a week. Doesn't matter if I by them at a stand or grocery store, someone always asks...

"Are ya making salsa?"...Nope!

"Are ya cannin' tomaters?"...Nope!

I'm eating the damn things.

Of course, I then here..."I don't think I could eat all those tomatoes. I don't really care for tomatoes."

I respond that I eat them for a snack, with lots of salt!

They only respond by cocking their heads sideways like a befuddled dog. Yet, said person chokes down 82 gallons of ketchup per year, and another 10 gallons of salsa.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #10
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I get the third degree with how many tomatoes I eat. I literally eat about 30 a week. Doesn't matter if I by them at a stand or grocery store, someone always asks...

"Are ya making salsa?"...Nope!

"Are ya cannin' tomaters?"...Nope!

I'm eating the damn things.
Ha! A firm and terse answer. "What do you with all these eggs?" "I eat them." 'Nuff said. I can't wait for Saturday's farmer's market so I can buy more! Mooooore!!!!