Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
Ha! A firm and terse answer. "What do you with all these eggs?" "I eat them." 'Nuff said. I can't wait for Saturday's farmer's market so I can buy more! Mooooore!!!!
I sometimes eat 18 eggs for dinner, with onion and hot sauce.

Next time I'm down near you we'll have top hit the farmer's market together.

Buy their entire stock.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #12
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I sometimes eat 18 eggs for dinner, with onion and hot sauce.

Next time I'm down near you we'll have top hit the farmer's market together.

Buy their entire stock.
Yeah well let's do up the Madison farmer's market. The one in my stupid little city sucks big ass.

Oh, by the way, my uncle is a tomato vendor at the Madison farmer's market. I could probably hook a brother up.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
Yeah well let's do up the Madison farmer's market. The one in my stupid little city sucks big ass.

Oh, by the way, my uncle is a tomato vendor at the Madison farmer's market. I could probably hook a brother up.
Om nom nom!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #14
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn

ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Now that I think about it, there have been times when I've brought a tomato to eat and people are like, "what are you going to do with THAT?" and I'm like, "Eat it?" I mean...jumpin' Jesus on a pogo stick, a tomato is a freaking fruit, but you don't see people ask someone with an apple why they are eating THAT.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

Old 07-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
bas781
Brawn
Points: 689, Level: 13 Points: 689, Level: 13 Points: 689, Level: 13
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
bas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good posts

In response to the question. Yes, I get grief. Though not from the checkout lady. I eat a ton of eggs as well for the record - probably my favorite go-to food. They're insanely cheap and easy to doctor up.

The incredulous looks and comments really stem from things like taking the bread off of a McDonald's double cheeseburger when out with friends late at night or drinking only 1/2 beers at the bar on a Thursday instead of 4/5 (knowing full well I was going to pound beer all day on the 4th of July just a few days later). It makes people feel really really uncomfortable really really quickly when you do things like that though. It calls to attention their own unwillingness to maintain control over their diet or train so they inevitably redirect all that discomfort back to you in the form of incredulous questions as to what the point of taking the bread off of a McDonald's sandwich is and how you're not "living life fully" by only having 2 beers instead of drinking 5 with them.

This has been consistent ever since I started to regain fitness as a priority in my life. People go on the attack with lighting speed when they feel threatened. This really applies to any form of self-improvement in your life though that has visible application. We're awfully quick to jump on someone not following the norm and right now the norm in this country is being obese.
bas781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #16
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn
Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: ON's Pro Complex Gainer
Craig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributor

Haha, that's why you got to spread out your visits to the store so they don't notice. I think I've only been asked once when I bought 5lbs of raw almonds.

"That's a lot of nuts."
"I know."
"You going to eat them all?"
"Yep."

End of conversation. Avoid eye contact and straight to the car.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #17
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas781 View Post
In response to the question. Yes, I get grief. Though not from the checkout lady. I eat a ton of eggs as well for the record - probably my favorite go-to food. They're insanely cheap and easy to doctor up.

The incredulous looks and comments really stem from things like taking the bread off of a McDonald's double cheeseburger when out with friends late at night or drinking only 1/2 beers at the bar on a Thursday instead of 4/5 (knowing full well I was going to pound beer all day on the 4th of July just a few days later). It makes people feel really really uncomfortable really really quickly when you do things like that though. It calls to attention their own unwillingness to maintain control over their diet or train so they inevitably redirect all that discomfort back to you in the form of incredulous questions as to what the point of taking the bread off of a McDonald's sandwich is and how you're not "living life fully" by only having 2 beers instead of drinking 5 with them.

This has been consistent ever since I started to regain fitness as a priority in my life. People go on the attack with lighting speed when they feel threatened. This really applies to any form of self-improvement in your life though that has visible application. We're awfully quick to jump on someone not following the norm and right now the norm in this country is being obese.
YES. Yes. I think you've hit it on the head. I have noticed a lot of people give me the ol' hairy eye or are like when I do anything against the norm, food-wise. Like when I allowed myself a drink the other day and asked the bartender how many ounces of rum was in it, the guy next to me was like, "is it too strong or what?" Valid question, and I didn't take offense, but then I found myself explaining that I tracked my calories and macronutrients, etc. and that's when I start losing people. I get the whole "Why are you doing that? You don't look like you need to lose weight." And then I get the feeling that they feel affronted because the buff girl watches what she eats but the overweight person confronting me doesn't. Like, because I care about what I put in my body, I'm judging them by proxy or something. Or another one of my favorites: "Why do you work out? You look great!" Yeah thanks, but maybe I look this way BECAUSE I work out.

Years ago I used to be a strict vegetarian, and nothing trips common folk up more than someone who doesn't eat meat. I'd get a lot of questions, which were honestly welcomed, but then I'd get the people on the immediate offensive, complete strangers outright bashing me for my choices, purposefully starting arguments with me over the choices I made for myself. FOR MYSELF. And I was always like, "Look, I don't give a crap what you eat, so why do you care so much about what I eat?"

Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #18
cooltom
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

cooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributor

I'll bet if the person at the tomato or egg stand was selling bread, pastries, or candy, they wouldn't question you for buying a lot of them. In fact, it is likely considered rude to question people buying excessive amounts of candy, etc. because they are more than likely fat asses and it is wrong to make them feel uncomfortable.

The second that someone who is lean and muscular buys lots of eggs, meat or vegetables, every one around them is on the verge of intervening in their life because they are "destroying themselves." I had to argue the egg and meat thing so many times that my blood boils now whenever I hear the questions raised.

The following are the menus of some of the people that have criticized me recently for eating beef, chicken, eggs, nuts and vegetables:

1) A vegetarian who eats cheese pizza, candy bars and drinks coca cola.

2) A woman who eats McDonald's at least twice a day (hamburger, fries, large coke).

3) A guy that eats Popeye's chicken daily (fried chicken, french fries, large orange drink).

4) A woman that eats food from 7/11 twice daily (chili cheese hot dogs, large fruit drink, taquitos).

5) My mother-in-law would always tell me **** like "you should get your cholesterol checked because of all the eggs you eat." Yet she had to have gastric bypass surgery because she could not keep herself of washing down a package of chips ahoy cookies with a 2 liter bottle of cream soda every night.

And I could go on and on. People suck and the same ****ers who have spent months and months ripping me are all asking me to write them up diet and exercise programs now. I will charge them for any information I give to them.

Follow my progress: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-powerful.html

Last edited by cooltom; 07-13-2010 at 12:05 PM.
cooltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #19
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltom View Post
I'll bet if the person at the tomato or egg stand was selling bread, pastries, or candy, they wouldn't question you for buying a lot of them. In fact, it is likely considered rude to question people buying excessive amounts of candy, etc. because they are more than likely fat asses and it is wrong to make them feel uncomfortable.

The second that someone who is lean and muscular buys lots of eggs, meat or vegetables, every one around them is on the verge of intervening in their life because they are "destroying themselves." I had to argue the egg and meat thing so many times that my blood boils now whenever I hear the questions raised.

The following are the menus of some of the people that have criticized me recently for eating beef, chicken, eggs, nuts and vegetables:

1) A vegetarian who eats cheese pizza, candy bars and drinks coca cola.

2) A woman who eats McDonald's at least twice a day (hamburger, fries, large coke).

3) A guy that eats Popeye's chicken daily (fried chicken, french fries, large orange drink).

4) A woman that eats food from 7/11 twice daily (chili cheese hot dogs, large fruit drink, taquitos).

5) My mother-in-law would always tell me **** like "you should get your cholesterol checked because of all the eggs you eat." Yet she had to have gastric bypass surgery because she could not keep herself of washing down a package of chips ahoy cookies with a 2 liter bottle of cream soda every night.

And I could go on and on. People suck and the same ****ers who have spent months and months ripping me are all asking me to write them up diet and exercise programs now. I will charge them for any information I give to them.
Yes, exactly! Just yesterday I observed a very overweight woman I work with (and there are a LOT, despite nutritional options in our cafeterias and FREE gym) telling another woman about this low-fat cheese, offering her advice on how to cook food, etc. I have also observed a lot of overweight folks in the cafe here talking about good foods, bad foods, etc. It's like, they know what the right answers are but they don't follow through on their own advice!!

And you bring up another very good point. Why is it OK to tell me I'm "too muscular" or tell someone else that they're skinny, but it's not Ok for me to say "you're fat"? Fat chicks rip on non-fat chicks all the time (the old "real women have curves" statement that really gets me going) and that's completely OK, but you can't rip on them, because it's not politically correct. So I guess being overweight or unhealthy is the norm, and the majority class makes the rules.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #20
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn

BTW Tom, what is someone's argument against beef, chicken, eggs, nuts and vegetables? What could they possibly say about them? The eggs thing I do get a lot of cholesterol comments (but yeah my cholesterol is just fine, thanks for playing) but what about the others? ESPECIALLY from someone who eats fast food all the time?