Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:18 AM   #1
Dynasty
The Irish One
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,235, Level: 19 Points: 1,235, Level: 19 Points: 1,235, Level: 19
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Dynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributor
Default Sleep Issues

Hey everyone. Straight to the point so you can skip the story of why if needed. However, reading the story might hold some ideas why. Has anyone been having sleep issues or ever had and know any good ideas/suggestions to overcome it?

Ever since Summer properly began (after my exams) I've been having continued disruption of sleep. After my exams I took 1 week off training to just purely chill, this was mid-May. From around the time of my exams till this very day I've been having endless nights of hours of wasted sleep. Tossing and turning, trying my hardest to just tell my brain let me sleep or whatever it is that controls you to put you into subconsciousness.

I've had only a few days of a full 7-8 hours sleep in the past month and a half, it is really draining. Surprisingly it has not affected my training (or at least in my view), just my general mood. I know damn well though my body isn't making 100 per cent recovery without enough deep sleep. I don't really get tired at night time, I don't really feel very tired when I wake up, if I even sleep. Everytime I look at the clock it just seems like another hour or 2 passes by, I'm going nuts because of it and I don't want to take tablets because I do not want to rely on them, I be setting myself down the wrong road.

Could it be the supplements I'm using? But they are all natural... Glutamine before bed, Creatine in the day (finished creatine for a month now) and a few shakes of whey a day, the last is usually 1-2 hours before I try to sleep. My normal exercise is pretty much gone out the window because I'm bulking and want to gain as much weight as possible really by January, so I'm not moving around as much besides gym when I'm actually at home, very boring place I live, guess I can try walk around outside an hour before bed or so. I spend a lot of time in front of a screen when I'm at home, whether it be a screen across the room or in front of me, I know they say turn it off about an hour before sleep, and sometimes I do that and it still doesn't work. I sometimes read before bed and that doesn't seem to work. Maybe I need to walk, read and I dunno something else before I try sleep.

This problem is pissing me off beyond belief and it will really be decreasing my gains, which is what worries and pisses me off the most. I hope for a few good suggestions, might not only help me but anyone else suffering from serious sleep disruption. Now I'm off to read and research about insomnia.... Thank you.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Ive got the same problems of and on, and ive got some advices for you.
The idea of talking a walk for 45-60 mins before bedtime is good, also be sure to take care of anything that might be a present time problem, like postponed stuff you should have done etc, even if youre not thinking about that when trying to fall asleep, it still gives you an amount of unwanted stress. And when your going to bed, dont concentrate on falling asleep. I know this sounds difficult and it is, and will take some night of practice. Train on not thinking at all, doing simple math-exercises in your head (like thinking of the number 2, adding 2 to that you get 4, adding 4 to that you get 8 and so on..).

I also reccomend taking vitamin B1 (2-400mgs) 1 hour before bed becouse it can help you relax. I drink a calcium/magnesium formula (Calcium gluconate and magnesium carbonate mixed with and acid in hot water) which is a good natural muscle relaxant (and also prevent and reliefs DOMS really good).

On the helthstore you can get a natural sleep aid called melatonin, look it up on wikipedia for more info. Its natural and not addictive.

Good luck man!

Last edited by big_swede; 06-27-2010 at 05:56 AM.
big_swede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:33 AM   #3
Dynasty
The Irish One
Uber Brawn

Dynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributor

aww thanks alot man for that advice! It's great. I'm sure myself and others will definetely be relived to read this stuff Gonna try get some of that melatonin not think of sleep and take a walk and anything else
Old 06-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

I don't have much to say except that I'm in the same boat as you. I've noticed that if I stay off the internet before I go to bed, I'm better able to fall asleep. The trouble is, I lift at night, and like to get my workouts posted right away, otherwise I can go for a week or two without visiting with my "friends." I'm also having some stress issues at work and a minor issue health wise.

Supplements like swede suggested may help. In the past, I've had a great deal of success with a supplement called ZMA. Also, lay off the caffeine and alcohol, although a glass of wine in the evening may help you relax a bit.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100

big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Yeah ive heard ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin b6) can improve sleep too
Old 06-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

i'm in this same boat as well.

for me i think its because i'm waking up so late in the day, by night time i'm not tired... then it becomes a never ending cycle- if i wake up late, i go to sleep late, which then causes me to wake up late again.

also i drink a ****load of caffeine.

i know this doesnt help you out, just saying... i feel your pain man, haha. it sucks

edit: also it's hot as hell here and my room is over the garage in my house so it is too hot to sleep in and it sucks
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 06-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
big_swede
Max Brawn

(f*cking works too lol)
Old 06-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Yes ZMA sup 30-45 min before bed will help you get great sleep. Just don't eat anything with calcium around the same time. So basically if you eat right before laying down just take the ZMA 45 min before bed.

Also vitomin D helps with sleep. I noticed a big diffrence when I jumped up my D-3 and sarted takeing AAEFX ZMA Elite. Now I fall asleep and am down for the count. Well exept getting up to peeeee. lol AAEFX ZMA Elite is the first ZMA that worked this well for me.

Last edited by Rich Knapp; 06-27-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Wow, I have this very same problem too. I thought it was just me! Maybe it's some "lifters curse" or something. I found myself getting caught up in relying on substances to help me get to sleep and stay asleep, simply things like Nyquil and Benadryl, but I've stopped because I didn't want to become too reliant on them. I even though about seeing a doctor to maybe get a script for Ambien or something, but again, I didn't want to become addicted to something.

The problem for was that I would be very tired when I went to bed, but just couldn't fall into a deep sleep, so I'd wake up a lot, toss and turn. I'd see every hour on my clock at night and I'd awaken again around 5 am or so and not be able to get back to sleep. I'd wake up feeling like I hadn't slept at all.

At the time I was taking a thermogenic (Lipo 6 Black) but I never took it after 2 pm (it recommends not taking it within 6 hours of bedtime) so I didn't think it could be that. Sure enough, when I went off of it I immediately started seeing better sleep patterns. I swear I wasn't sleeping well even before I started taking this, but since I've come off it, things have improved.

Also, way back about a year ago when I first starting lifting seriously, I bought some whey protein at Wal-Mart (because it was cheap and I didn't know any better). I was sleeping soooo horribly then and felt like smashed ass and couldn't figure out why. At the time I thought it was because I was taking in too much protein, but I think it was really because it was low quality protein and my body just didn't agree with it.

As to what some others said, I have used melatonin in the past when I worked third shift, and it does work very well.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
Dynasty
The Irish One
Uber Brawn

I heard of ZMA and I was going to get it with my last batch of supplments. Will go get it pronto and see what happens. As long as no side effects I dont care and if its just those 3 ingrediants nothing wrong could happen surely. Sleep, the last thing you'd think would ruin your training, bleh.... I get plenty of rest at night just not enough deep sleep so I just don't want it to ruin my muscle potential gains and recovery. My legs are still sore from Fridays training, I blame lack of deep sleep. I'll turn off the pc a good hour before I go to sleep or so and try get ZMA or something like it tomorrow or asap. I feel all you guys pain that has trouble going to sleep. I have no problem sleeping during winter usually, the heat is so annoying! I love the sun... not the heat when getting to sleep or training ha. Thanks for all the suggestions and posts so far guys