Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor
Default Arm size threads on other boards

So I read alot of crap on various forums, and after reading a hilarious post today about a guy with the goal of having a 16 inch bicep... I got to thinking, I train biceps just for fun once a week like 3x8, sometimes not even once a week, but I train my triceps hard and often, I love tricep workouts. So I got to thinking, I wonder how big my arms are. Cold, I sit at 17 inches... Now I thought I had pretty small arms personally? Could also be that I have a large wingspan being 6'5" My question is, what percentage of your arms are tricep vs bicep? Also Hamstring vs quad? Reading that morons post got me thinking and actually got me wondering about these things, just never did any research before.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:01 AM   #2
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
So I read alot of crap on various forums, and after reading a hilarious post today about a guy with the goal of having a 16 inch bicep... I got to thinking, I train biceps just for fun once a week like 3x8, sometimes not even once a week, but I train my triceps hard and often, I love tricep workouts. So I got to thinking, I wonder how big my arms are. Cold, I sit at 17 inches... Now I thought I had pretty small arms personally? Could also be that I have a large wingspan being 6'5" My question is, what percentage of your arms are tricep vs bicep? Also Hamstring vs quad? Reading that morons post got me thinking and actually got me wondering about these things, just never did any research before.
I know the arm is 2/3 tricep so that leave the bi being a measly 1/3 of the total size. No clue on quad to ham ratio though.

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:06 AM   #3
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Good question. My simple answer (and not necessarily the right answer) is 3:2 Tricep:Bicep. I'm not so sure on the legs, but I'm guessing somewhere close. Maybe 4:2 or 4:3 in favor of the quads. My reasoning for saying so is only because of the number of muscles that make up the various groups (bicep, tricep, quads, hammies). My guess is only a guess and not scientific at all. But since there are three muscles making up the tricep group and two muscles making up the bicep group, to me it only makes sense that the potential for size favors the group made up of more muscles. If you want big arms, then bomb the tri's.

Again, this is all supposition. I realize that I'm setting myself up for much ridicule, but you have a good question. I just wanted to get the ball rolling.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:38 AM   #4
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

How to measure that? I would go with 3:2 ratio too if i had to guess
Old 06-06-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

OTK had it dead on. In general, the triceps to bicep ratio is 2:1.

Hamstrings/quads are a mystery to me though.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
Kyle Aaron
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

Basically 2:1 in both cases, assuming more or less proportional development. I mean, look at sprint cyclists...

Overall size includes fat, remember. Big difference between even 15" arms at 10% bodyfat and 15" arms at 20% bodyfat.

And then there are the different ways of measuring, is the elbow extended, is the elbow flexed with the biceps contracted as much as possible, do you hold the tape tight or just kind of hang it there...

It's like measuring your penis, really. Always a smaller measurement when someone else does it.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
Overall size includes fat, remember. Big difference between even 15" arms at 10% bodyfat and 15" arms at 20% bodyfat.
^ True dat.

I have 19 inch fat man arms at the moment and will be lucky to have 16.5 inch arms at 10% bodyfat.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
It's like measuring your penis, really. Always a smaller measurement when someone else does it.
i usually try not to let to many other people measure mine............takes away from the illusion that its actually 6 inches!
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote