Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Parenting and Exercise

My wife and I were considering using some forms of exercise as a consequence to certain actions by our children. For example, out 6 year old always leaves her towel on the floor after bath time. She also always starts bouncing while eating.

We have tried other consequences, like chores, etc., but they aren't working.

So we are thinking about trying the avenue called "physical consequence". For minor things, such as stated above, me were considering the consequences of:

--25 situps or pushups or jumping jacks.

Thoughts?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
RickB
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

My thought is if you use exercise as a form of punishment then they might associate exercise with negativity. I've done push-ups punishments with my boys for a short time when they were constantly calling each other gay, but I let up on it. And so did they.

Not sure. You could try it and see how it works out. Heck the military does it
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Yeah, we are worried about that very issue...seeing exercise in a negative way.

There are some actions that my youngest daughter just won't cease...the eating related ones, especially, because we worry she could choke. We've tried every other consequence known to man

I'm not sure if this is the best approach for her, but I might give it a go this week and see what happens.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

that's the only problem I see, that maybe they won't want to exercise ever if they recall it being used as punishment....

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

I think I recall reading somewhere about siblings actually developing a good natured competition when it came to exercise consequences. I think I read it in a Barbie Barbell bio or something. Or could it have been Sneezy's thread? I'm getting old. I have a good memory, it's just short and not always clear.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

i used the pushups as punishment for a while but to be honest i think i forgot to enforce more often than not and it just became irrelevant. really my kids hate to have to sit on their beds and do nothing for 10 mins than anything.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
i used the pushups as punishment for a while but to be honest i think i forgot to enforce more often than not and it just became irrelevant. really my kids hate to have to sit on their beds and do nothing for 10 mins than anything.
We tried that but my younger daughter would bounce back out of her room as immediately start doing what she was punished for

Not on purpose, mind you - she's not defiant. She just hasn't met a consequence that motivates her to remember yet.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
jslep
Max Brawn

jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

have you thought of taking away a privalege instead of trying to use a consequence. like taking away the favorite toy or game or something that is part of their everyday life.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
have you thought of taking away a privalege instead of trying to use a consequence. like taking away the favorite toy or game or something that is part of their everyday life.
Done that too. Treats are her big one. She is a treat hound. TV is second. Spongebob, ftw!

We've taken away both, sometimes for a week...didn't help. She's right back to doing the same thing again, even during the punishment period.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
jslep
Max Brawn

right now i'm laughing cause it sounds just like my kids...........