Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Director Guillermo Del Toro Leaves "The Hobbit"

Director Guillermo Del Toro Leaves "The Hobbit"

Director Guillermo Del Toro Leaves "The Hobbit" - ABC News

Quote:
After spending the last two years developing "The Hobbit" as his latest directing project, Guillermo del Toro has stepped down as director of the J.R.R. Tolkien adaptation amid studio delays and schedule conflicts."In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming "The Hobbit," I am faced with the hardest decision of my life," Guillermo wrote in his announcement on "Lord of the Rings" fansite TheOneRing.net. "After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien's Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures."

He said he would continue to co-write the screenplays with Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Phillippa Boyens.

The walls started to crumble for del Toro in recent weeks as the uncertain financial future of MGM put the project, which was to have been two movies, in limbo. The producers had been hoping to be in production this summer but no greenlight was forthcoming.

That put pressure on del Toro, who has a laundry list of projects outlined for the next 10 years, in a position of cutting bait or staying on for more uncertainty. The director moved his wife and children to New Zealand for the shoot, and the first movie was aiming for a December 2012 release.

"The blessings have been plenty, but the mounting pressures of conflicting schedules have overwhelmed the time slot originally allocated for the project," said del Toro in his statement. "Both as a co-writer and as a director, I wish the production nothing but the very best of luck and I will be first in line to see the finished product. I remain an ally to it and its makers, present and future, and fully support a smooth transition to a new director."

Jackson stated he understood del Toro's position: "We understand how the protracted development time on these two films, due to reasons beyond anyone's control ... has compromised his commitment to other long term projects. The bottom line is that Guillermo just didn't feel he could commit six years to living in New Zealand, exclusively making these films, when his original commitment was for three years."

Jackson said development on "Hobbit" would continue apace, although his statement did not specifically address any possible postponement of the release date.

"New Line and Warner Bros. will sit down with us this week, to ensure a smooth and uneventful transition, as we secure a new director for the Hobbit. We do not anticipate any delay or disruption to ongoing pre-production work," he said.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
bas781
Brawn

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
bas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good posts

Disappointing. Del Toro is a fantastic director. This isn't the only project the MGM debacle is hurting though. The next James Bond installment is postponed indefinitely due to the same issue. None of these projects can move forward until someone purchases the studio.
bas781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I hope this doesn't mean that they are moving the movie into a more "commercial" direction. The Hobbit is such a great adventure tale. I hope they don't turn it into Superman IV.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
HumanHorrorFilm
Wolfman of Ironsport
Max Brawn

HumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beast

This made me do a double take in absolute horror. Del Toro is probably my favorite director and had no doubt he would do wonders with the Hobbit. I honestly hope something can be done to bring him back.
"Before the Beginning, after the great war between Heaven and Hell, God created the Earth and gave dominion over it to the crafty ape he called Man. And to each generation was born a Creature of Light and a Creature of Darkness... and great armies clashed by night in the ancient war between good and evil. There was magic then. Nobility. And unimaginable cruelty. And so it was until the day that a false sun exploded over Trinity, and man forever traded away wonder for reason."

Reigning Undisputed MAB Beard Champion

HumanHorrorFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
bas781
Brawn

bas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good posts

It won't go Superman IV. Peter Jackson still maintains full control on the project and he is one of the few guys in Hollywood with final cut on a film. He'll either decide to direct it himself like he did LOTR or he'll hand pick another great director like he did when he (Jackson) had Blomkamp direct District 9.

Make no mistake though, losing Del Toro is a hit indeed.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
MMA Max
Max Brawn

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

This is truly a massive disappointment, I only fear that this movie will go the way of the new Conan.

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
bas781
Brawn

Speaking of Conan. Several years back I found the an early draft screenplay for Conan 3.

This was pre-Arnold as Cali governor. The script was massive (easily 150 pages) and it involved an aged King Conan (Arnold) squaring off with his armies against what would turn out to be an illegitimate son (rumor was The Rock). Why this never got greenlit is beyond me.