Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine
Default Knee ache during and after squatting

on the last few reps of my last set today squatting 175 my right knee started aching and it's been aching all day since then. I think I have pretty good form, keep my knees behind my toes and keep my weight on my heels. does this happen to anyone else? any advice on how to help it?

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
MMA Max
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

I have this problem, My left knee sucks. Back Squats just hurt it bad, but front squats are ok with my legs.

I have been using other methods of working my legs. I have big Legs but I did not get them though squats, Well I am sure squatting helped.

I look into the old fighters and the warriors of old. Gene Lebell has some killer legs and he never squatted, he used other methods along with a lot of the old school grapplers

I suggest trying some other methods if it still bothers you.

I suggested this before

Get a wheel barrow, Fill it with plates and push it around on grass, That will jack you Calves, Legs, Thighs, Ass and everything.

Weight Sled

Fire mans Carry and squat with a friend - Throw a friend on your back and walk 8 aces then squat down twice, Rinse wash and repeat till you throw up blood

Weighted Step ups or Squat hops

Pistols

Hindu Squats

Run with a back pack full of weights

There are other options

Look into the Olympic distance jumper program, Have you seen those peoples LEGS

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

just because it happened one time doesnt mean it will happen again
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 05-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I get various, unexplained aches from time to time. Sometimes you body is just in an adaptation and growth phase, and sometimes your body is just not up for the task on a given day. If you ever notice a tweak, or something off, just shut your squats (or deadlifts) down. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you are concerned, just take a lighter workout next time around. Even with perfect form you can get strains. Heavy weight will overload not just the muscles but also the connective tissue. Hopefully this is a good thing...a sign that you are forcing your body to grow and adapt. Eat big, rest big, and let us know how it feels the next couple of days.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-29-2010 at 06:57 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Kyle Aaron
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

BendtheBar has the right of it. I always explain to the beginners I work with that little twinges here and there will happen. It's just your body saying, "dude, I was doing nothing, WTF are you doing to me?" But this still happens to more experienced lifters, one muscle has grown faster than another, or you're doing the exercise slightly differently to last time, so there's a different effect, and so on.

Just don't go out hard out on that particular exercise that day, and like the pill box says - if pain persists, see a doctor. Or in this case, a sports physiotherapist.

Don't worry about the occasional twinge here and there. Do worry about pain which lasts for a week or more, or about pain which resistricts movement (as a strain or sprain would).
Old 05-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
strkout35
Max Brawn

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

thanks for the responses guys, i didn't mention this but it's happened in the past, it was really bad when I used to squat 3 times a week on starting strength. It went away already just it was annoying me for a few hours after lifting. I was fine for my baseball game today

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
Old 05-30-2010, 03:24 AM   #7
BRaWNy
Pain Master
Max Brawn
Points: 3,850, Level: 39 Points: 3,850, Level: 39 Points: 3,850, Level: 39

Training Exp: ~23 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Back Squat
Fav Supp: Fish-oils
BRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributor

I am not "fixed" for a vertical Squat (olympic style) with the job done mostly with my knees, in which I had knee pains in the past, so I turned it to Hip Drive Squat (with the job done mostly with my hips) like Rippetoe recommends and all the pains are gone !!
Never had any problem so far, though I can do Olympic style as well now, I prefer to stay with hip drive and involve my knees less.

I don't know how you Squat, but if it's more with the knees (Oly style) and does not "fix" with your bodytype or flexibility (for example if you have long limbs or are tall etc), a turn in hip drive Squat may eliminate the problem.

On the other side if it's not your case with the style you squat, things like this happen for us in the iron game, and sometimes it is an old problem and appears from time to time for a while.

Last edited by BRaWNy; 05-30-2010 at 03:28 AM.
BRaWNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRaWNy View Post
I am not "fixed" for a vertical Squat (olympic style) with the job done mostly with my knees, in which I had knee pains in the past, so I turned it to Hip Drive Squat (with the job done mostly with my hips) like Rippetoe recommends and all the pains are gone !!
Never had any problem so far, though I can do Olympic style as well now, I prefer to stay with hip drive and involve my knees less.

I don't know how you Squat, but if it's more with the knees (Oly style) and does not "fix" with your bodytype or flexibility (for example if you have long limbs or are tall etc), a turn in hip drive Squat may eliminate the problem.

On the other side if it's not your case with the style you squat, things like this happen for us in the iron game, and sometimes it is an old problem and appears from time to time for a while.
^^^ I agree with this. Check out these two pictures of squatters. The 2nd pic has a short note which explains typically, not always, what sort of squatting style will suit different body structures.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HbaApmpa-P...s1600/one3.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HbaApmpa-P.../s1600/two.jpg

You appear to be a fairly tall guy, so I think as Brawny says, Ripp style hip drive squatting will suit you a bit more.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #9
strkout35
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRaWNy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
^^^ I agree with this. Check out these two pictures of squatters. The 2nd pic has a short note which explains typically, not always, what sort of squatting style will suit different body structures.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HbaApmpa-P...s1600/one3.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HbaApmpa-P.../s1600/two.jpg

You appear to be a fairly tall guy, so I think as Brawny says, Ripp style hip drive squatting will suit you a bit more.
thanks guys, i've been trying my best to incorporate hip drive but i'll really focus on that during my next session

Old 05-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Think about sinking with the weight on your heels. This might help take some of the pressure off the knees. When I don't do this on RDLs and squats I find my knees feel better. Not sure what the powerlifters feel about this, but it works for me.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote