Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor
Default Gut

I am starting to get somewhat worried and am unsure what to do right now. My strength is on a steady rise, however so is my gut. It could just be the waterweight I am carrying around, I drink a ton of water each day but I have cut out the two peanut butter sandwhiches before bed the last couple nights to see if maybe I was just eating slightly too much. I have zero interest in a 6 pack but I dont want a keg either, belly is ok but not overhanging beer gut I wouldnt be concerned or care really at all other than the fact that I fear it may start to hinder my chances of success with the ladies, and we all know we cant have that! In the perfect world a woman would love monster arms and chests, and bellies too but for some reason they like 6 packs? I just dont want to do anything to interfeir with the good progress I am making, should I just not worry about it?
Old 05-21-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
CallmeKing
Max Brawn
Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

CallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributor

I used to worry about getting a belly but, I wasn't gaining weight. I say fu*k it man. If you need to get a gut to reach your goals then rock the gut and rock it with pride.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
CallmeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:36 AM   #3
Kyle Aaron
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

It's possible to gain muscle and gain fat at the same time, you're doing well if half of what you add is lean mass. You're doing poorly if you add heaps more fat than lean mass. This is energy in > energy out combined with weight training.

It's possible to lose muscle and lose fat at the same time, if you keep up strength training while doing it, you'll lose less muscle than you lose fat. Energy in < energy out combined with weight training.

It's not possible to gain muscle without gaining any fat, or while losing fat - unless you are an overfat beginner. The energy in shortage is made up for by your extra fat.

This is why competitive bodybuilders, fitness models and so on have "bulking" and "cutting" cycles. They expect to go up in muscle and fat both while bulking, and they try to lose less muscle than they previously gained while cutting.

It's pretty fiddly, adjusting the diet and training to get just the right amount of lean/fat gain/loss. So long as it's not harming your health to bulk to this level, the usual thing to do is to bulk to a big better (in muscle) than you'd like, and then to do a cut - during the cut you won't increase in strength.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn

Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor

CallmeKing, I like your outlook there! haha I would probably totally agree except that woman tend to think differently. I guess I'll have to find the woman who appreciate the big S.O.B's!

Thank you for the reply KyleAaron, I see exactly what you are saying and agree 100% but I dont do cuts or bulks I am maintaining a high calorie diet for strongman training, just need a little fine tuning maybe to help with the gut part, not sure though I may just be paranoid and really am not gaining as much belly as I think I am. As long as the gut doesnt surpass my chest Im happy, but I just want to make sure I keep everything under control and in check here as well as making steady progress in strength. My goal is to be almost 90 pounds heavier than I am now by the time I am done gaining.. I am 6'5" 250lbs give or take a couple at the moment.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:33 AM   #5
Kyle Aaron
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

It's the same principle, Marc, whether you're a strongman or bodybuilder. The bodybuilder wants as much as possible of their gain to be muscle for looks, the strongman for strength - an extra 90lbs of fat won't help you lift those bloody stones. So in that respect you have to balance things up, okay you get fat along with the muscle, does your gut get in the way of lifts and all that.

Like I said everyone has to fiddle with their diet a bit, the best most do is 50:50 muscle:fat, eat too much over what you need and it could be 25:75. But you have to go by feel, no-one can give you exact numbers of what to eat I'm afraid.

340lbs will be a bloody unit, alright.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:15 AM   #6
nighttrain
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68

Training Exp: 20+
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

^^ AGreed with the above posts... it's hard to get rid of the gut once you get it, so stay on top of the diet...
Old 05-21-2010, 06:33 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Hi Marc. I know your mental struggle. I got out of the military in 1994 and my weight has wanted to go up since. I recommend trying some different things out. Possibly a zig-zag approach to eating where you eat slightly less on non-training days, or possibly a more Paleo style of eating where you still eat more during the day but simply eating more meat and fruits and veggies. Neither of these are muscle answers but I guess overall I just want to say don't give up. Or you could eat normal for 2 weeks and cut back for a week.

I can gain strength while cutting, so don't rule out that possibility either. You could just cut back real slightly.

I don't want to overkill out with bad advice but I do want to encourage you to find a way to keep some balance, because it seems like that's what your after.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn

A good balance yes, I know I'll never get where I want to be without some fat along with it and I am totally ok with that. Woke up this morning and my gut was half the size... I am thinking it is just massive fluctuation in water weight that I am carrying more than anything. Reason why I am slightly concerned is like nighttrain said, it is easy to get one but alot harder to lose it so I would like to stay somewhat on top of it, as long as it doesnt mean sacrificing my gains in any way. I will just have to play with it a little I guess, thank you all for the helpful replys!