Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Thyroid issues

Anyone know anything about thyroid problems?

This past month I have been starting to experience some strange things happening with my body. I used to be able to cut 15 to 20 pounds a month at about 2500 calories per day. But weight loss started to grind to a halt at that level.

I experienced no real weight loss for a couple weeks so I dropped to 2200 per day, and for the last 17 days I haven't lost a pound. I am completely baffled. My wife keeps wondering if it's thyroid related but I'm not sure if I should see a Doc - don't want to waste time.

I'm not under-eating. 2400 to 2500 has always been my sweet spot for weight loss. I am less active then in the past due to my job, and have considered maybe I need to try 2000 per day. But to go from 15 pounds loss per month at 2500 per day to nothing at 2200 per day - well, I feel pressured to eat only 1800 per day and that level scares the crud out of me.

Thoughts?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

It very well could be a thyroid issue. You won't know for sure unless you get your levels checked. You may have just turned the corner and your metabolism has slowed.

Hows your energy levels, and your sleeping habits?

It would not be a bad idea to have a good full physical from a Doc you trust.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
It very well could be a thyroid issue. You won't know for sure unless you get your levels checked. You may have just turned the corner and your metabolism has slowed.

Hows your energy levels, and your sleeping habits?

It would not be a bad idea to have a good full physical from a Doc you trust.
I had full blood work late last year and Doc said my thyroid levels were low. But I really didn't worry about it. I thought with weight loss all would come back to normal. He didn't rush off to give me a script so I figured it was just a bit low. I was ignorant and had no reason to pursue this at the time.

Energy levels are fine. I feel good. Sleep is always OK but sub-par.

Mentally, the disconnect I am having is this...If I am not losing weight at 2200-2300 calories per day, should I try 1800? This seems crazy-low for me, so I'm a bit nervous about jumping to that level.

Finding a Doc I trust locally has been a challenge. I went to one last year and shared health concerns. Doc was a "naturalist and recommended a bunch of natural approaches...blech...more herbs and pills...

Second Doc I tried just kept telling me to eat better and exercise...I kept telling him I eat very good (better then most people for sure) and that I exercise at least 4 times per week. I don't think he believed me because he continued on and on like a broken record.

With our insurance I am running out of doctor choices fast

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-15-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

maybe its not how many calories you eat but what the calories are? not saying you have a poor diet just sayin maybe you need to change it up a little to maybe chicken, egg whites, rice, oats and tons of greens.

also i don't know if this would be similar but my work partners wife (long time friends) had thyroid cancer a few years back and obviously still deals with complications, i could talk to her about some of her early failure issues.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Mentally, the disconnect I am having is this...If I am not losing weight at 2200-2300 calories per day, should I try 1800? This seems crazy-low for me, so I'm a bit nervous about jumping to that level.
I can get by on pretty low cal levels. Aging process, and all that jazz. Keep going lower in increments. Try 1900, and keep your intensity up. Get those walks in. Gotta get your furnace fired up. Ypu will have to adjust calorie consumption times as well. Your going to need to even them out, and get more in the morning, as opposed to night.

Quote:
Second Doc I tried just kept telling me to eat better and exercise...I kept telling him I eat very good (better then most people for sure) and that I exercise at least 4 times per week. I don't think he believed me because he continued on and on like a broken record.
He does not believe you because of your size. He is ignorant to heavy lifting, and is out of his area of expertise. Thats why he keeps doing the broken record thing.

I'd go back and ask your Doc from last year about you low levels, and get more info from him. It's at least a place to start.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:48 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I have an old friend who is a nurse practitioner and I think i am going to approach her. I had completely forgotten about her because when I knew her she was "merely" a RN.

Thanks for the advice. I think this week I am going to drop to 2000, and I may start working out 6 days a week. I do need to get moving with cardio.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
Grip-N-Rip
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,478, Level: 21 Points: 1,478, Level: 21 Points: 1,478, Level: 21
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Grip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good posts

Having a low thyroid levels could have something to do with this; only blood work would tell.

However, a lot can come into considersation with this situation. Your body has obviously changed over the last year; like everyone elses. If the same person continues to take the same approaches that they have been taking over the years, the body is going to become accustomed to this and eventually hit a plateau; see this all the time.

It is about changing what you have been doing over the years since it is no longer working for you. I would like to see what your current diet and training template was andn what it is now to see if some of the members in here could assist.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip-N-Rip View Post
I would like to see what your current diet and training template was andn what it is now to see if some of the members in here could assist.
That's all on my log

I train 4 days per week, eating 2200 to 2300. Was eating 2500 to 2600. Eat primarily all protein during the day. At night I eat about a 1000 calories meal of whatever I want. I make sure I get fats in, and supplement with fish oil as well. Daily protein is about 240 to 250 grams. Fats maybe 60 to 70 grams. Rest is carbs.

Protein = 240 to 250
Fats = 60 to 70
Carbs = 180 to 185 grams

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-15-2010 at 10:52 AM.