Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   hack squats/leg press for strength gains... (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3208)

kman025 05-09-2010 03:16 PM

hack squats/leg press for strength gains...

just to mix up training i was thinking of occasionally doing either hack squats or leg press....

do you guys think they'd hell with stregth gains at all in the squat or not really....

i would just do them at the end of a squat workout for the hell of it

BendtheBar 05-09-2010 03:54 PM

I probably would do 20 rep sets of leg presses after squats if I had access to them. I don't think a little extra quad strength would hurt.

Maybe one of the powerlifters could comment on why powerlifters don't use them.

onetiredkris 05-09-2010 04:36 PM

I hacksquat at the end of my leg day, like BTB said I throw some higher rep sets in because I normally squat only low reps (3-8 reps). I definitely don't how they wouldn't help... how much volume does your leg day consist of already?

kman025 05-09-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetiredkris (Post 55025)
I hacksquat at the end of my leg day, like BTB said I throw some higher rep sets in because I normally squat only low reps (3-8 reps). I definitely don't how they wouldn't help... how much volume does your leg day consist of already?

i dont have a particular leg day... i just squat as often as possible (anywhere form 2-5 days a week), sometimes i front squat instead...

i think i'll add them everyonce in a while when im too fried for back off sets... bigger quads wouldnt hurt for strength....

so you guys pick leg press over hack squat (why is this)???

Shaolinkiwi 05-09-2010 06:22 PM

I've recently started up 20 rep sets of leg press after my squats. Taking the reps slow 2/2 and going as far down as I possibly can, once at the bottom I hold for a couple of seconds then concentrate on the push up.

Feels like it's really hitting those muscle used to get out of the hole in the squat movement, it's a little early for me to tell at this stage but yea I think it's working and you should give it a go.

bwys61 05-09-2010 06:55 PM

I've been doing some hack squats for some quad volume following some squat/dead workouts if I feel like they were not taxed enough

gaspers04 05-09-2010 07:01 PM

I have been doing heavy leg extensions after squats. Ive got a Powertec leverage thingy (correct terminology I'm sure). I wouldn't call it a squat, I think that the mechanics would be close to a press or a hack (whatever way that you are facing). I use it for standing calves. What do you guys think...

gaspers04 05-09-2010 07:10 PM

Here is that contraption, bought it when I hurt my shoulder and couldn't squat.

Attachment 1343

big valsalva 05-09-2010 07:28 PM

Yes. I do think they will help with squat strength, as long as you don't overcook it. However, the best thing to do to develop squat strength is to squat.

That said, I do a couple widow maker sets of leg presses after I squat. I have access to a hack sled, but they get to be wicked on my knees. If you're back squatting more than once a week, I wouldn't add them in any more than once a week. Either hacks or presses are a good supplementary exercise. Maybe on one day you could go heavy on the back squat and do a high rep chaser with the leg press or hack. On another day you could front squat without a chaser. And on a third day back squat with maybe 80% of the weight you used on the first day and again no chaser.

Good luck.

kman025 05-09-2010 08:28 PM

thanks too all post

BIG VAL- great advice, may try that