Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Military Press ???? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2980)

kman025 04-20-2010 07:54 PM

Military Press ????

for strict military press, how low should i go?

i've been touching my touch, but many people say its too much shoulder rotation since leg drive isnt getting you throgh that "danger zone".

help/discuss.... GO!

btw, im sure its been discussed b4, so link me if its the case.

CallmeKing 04-20-2010 07:55 PM

I do them on the preacher and go till my elbows hit the pad the DB's are usually at my ear level.

BendtheBar 04-20-2010 07:57 PM

I don't worry about going below ear/eye level.

kman025 04-20-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CallmeKing (Post 49838)
I do them on the preacher and go till my elbows hit the pad the DB's are usually at my ear level.

for the record i'm talking about bb press....

kman025 04-20-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 49839)
I don't worry about going below ear/eye level.

may shorted ROM some.... at least to chin or so

EDIT: believe it or not, these few inches dont make much of a difference strength wise for me

BendtheBar 04-20-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kman025 (Post 49842)
may shorted ROM some.... at least to chin or so

EDIT: believe it or not, these few inches dont make much of a difference strength wise for me

I do deeper on military press compared to BTNs, but there is a point where I have to "move" the bar to avoid my face, and that scares the crap out of me. An unnatural move, and I fear shoulder issues.

ricka182 04-20-2010 08:43 PM

I just get my chin over the bar, and then tilt my head back and push up..

kitarpyar 04-20-2010 08:48 PM

I military press after cleaning the weight, so it's a clean and military press, which by default means that it is up to the shoulder. For the record, I have tried keeping it till chin earlier, and that let's you handle heavier weights and is probably easier on the shoulder as well.

kitarpyar 04-20-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 49845)
I do deeper on military press compared to BTNs, but there is a point where I have to "move" the bar to avoid my face, and that scares the crap out of me. An unnatural move, and I fear shoulder issues.

I am assuming you are talking of a seated press. While doing it standing (at least for me), the back bends ever so slightly, so the bar can move up easy enough without me having to bother about it touching my face.

Shaolinkiwi 04-20-2010 09:09 PM

I do seated press and generally take the bar to nose level on the lighter presses, otherwise I a bad feeling in my right rotators cuff.

Heavier presses generally the eyes.

Do what works for you K-Man, anywhere between chin and eyes.