Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Recipe: Freshly Ground Black People (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2964)

thumpinos 04-19-2010 06:45 PM

Recipe: Freshly Ground Black People

Does this editor get fired?

Recipe Calls for "Freshly Ground Black People"

Recipe Calls for "Freshly Ground Black People" - CBS News

Quote:

An Australian publisher is reprinting 7,000 cookbooks over a recipe for pasta with "salt and freshly ground black people."

Penguin Group Australia's head of publishing, Bob Sessions, acknowledged the proofreader for the Pasta Bible should have picked up the error, but called it nothing more than a "silly mistake."

The "Pasta Bible" recipe for spelt tagliatelle with sardines and prosciutto was supposed to call for black pepper.

"We're mortified that this has become an issue of any kind and why anyone would be offended, we don't know," he told The Sydney Morning Herald for a story printed Saturday.

"We've said to bookstores that if anyone is small-minded enough to complain about this ... silly mistake, we will happily replace (the book) for them."

The reprint will cost Penguin 20,000 Australian dollars ($18,500), but books already in stores will not be recalled because doing so would be "extremely hard," Sessions said.

There was no answer at Penguin's offices Sunday.

strkout35 04-19-2010 07:00 PM

hahaha, freudian slip??

sneezingstardust 04-20-2010 08:18 AM

HAhaha, that's great.

BendtheBar 04-20-2010 08:37 AM

Reason number one not to rely on spellcheck as your sole editing tool.

Hmmm...people, pepper...what's difference....

glwanabe 04-20-2010 08:53 AM

I think this quote from the publisher says a lot about them.

Quote:

"We're mortified that this has become an issue of any kind and why anyone would be offended, we don't know," he told The Sydney Morning Herald for a story printed Saturday.
For a company to take this attitude about something that will be so repugnant to an entire race of people is morally unconscionable.

It may be an honest mistake, but they will lose more than money with their attitude.

BendtheBar 04-20-2010 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 49651)

For a company to take this attitude about something that will be so repugnant to an entire race of people is morally unconscionable.

It may be an honest mistake, but they will lose more than money with their attitude.

I agree with you. Makes you wonder why they just didn't say..."We made a mistake. It should have read 'pepper'."

The end.

Not exactly textbook PR from Penguin.

Grim83 04-20-2010 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 49651)

yeah but its kinda an honest mistake, id have probably seen it and laughed like i do at most typos in books