Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Bill Phillips

What happened to Bill Phillips?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bill-phillips-1.jpg
Views:	1375
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	1124   Click image for larger version

Name:	bill-phillips-2.jpg
Views:	1087
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	1125  

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Wtf???
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Lane View Post
Wtf???
Exactly. Back in the day I liked this guy. What's gone haywire in the hay-making plant?

Old 04-16-2010, 02:32 AM   #4
DocColossus
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn
Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Hammer Low Pull
Fav Supp: Jack3d, Yok3d, ModernBCAA
DocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machine

Well I don't want to sound closed minded because I'm not, and have quite a few friends who live an alternative lifestyle, but I would say this is just him working his way out of his shell/closet... The guy built an empire and that's never going to be taken away from him, but once he sold EAS and parted ways with Ed Byrd I think he just sort of lost what his vision was in the first place...
Old 04-16-2010, 06:12 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocColossus View Post
I think he just sort of lost what his vision was in the first place...
His Transformation site is still helping people make differences, which I applaud.

Bill Phillips Transformation

But everything just seems so over-marketed and plastic right now. I remember that first Body for Life challenge where Bill gave away Corvettes to everyone. I had so much respect for him. I hadn't seem his website in a while and decided to take a look yesterday. I hate to come off as so superficial but Bill looks so dramatically different now that he just didn't feel like the old Bill Phillips. With all the marketing and posturing, he's almost become a caricature of himself.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
Fire36
Nozzle Jockey
Max Brawn
Points: 2,397, Level: 29 Points: 2,397, Level: 29 Points: 2,397, Level: 29

Fire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributor

I know this guy has helped alot of folks in his BFL contests. And like others don't want to sound superficial, but gotta call it like I see it. Was a great way to "market" his product. Phillips was a tremendous marketing guru. And sometimes when folks "dig" a little deeper its not what it appears on the surface.
Fire36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Just read Body For Life. Pretty standard stuff. One thing I found interesting was Bill's advocacy of an upper body workout consisting of 2 exercises each for the chest, back, shoulders, biceps and triceps. Each exercise should consist of 5 sets each, and the goal is to finish around 46 minutes.

Am I calculating wrong, or is this 50 sets in under 50 minutes?

Granted the intensity and weight are ramped up, but from a simple math standpoint it doesn't add up. Anyone know more about his training approach? Am I missing anything?

Also, a nice audio interview:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...7D185-he.hydra

Old 04-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
DocColossus
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn
Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Hammer Low Pull
Fav Supp: Jack3d, Yok3d, ModernBCAA
DocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Just read Body For Life. Pretty standard stuff. One thing I found interesting was Bill's advocacy of an upper body workout consisting of 2 exercises each for the chest, back, shoulders, biceps and triceps. Each exercise should consist of 5 sets each, and the goal is to finish around 46 minutes.

Am I calculating wrong, or is this 50 sets in under 50 minutes?

Granted the intensity and weight are ramped up, but from a simple math standpoint it doesn't add up. Anyone know more about his training approach? Am I missing anything?

Also, a nice audio interview:

TMUSCLE.com | Audio Interview: TC
I don't think you're missing anything, sounds like it wasn't well thought out when it was written, clearly not a routine he actually follows himself.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
MikeC
Uber Brawn
Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47

MikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributor

Stirring up an old thread, I know, but is this a toupee?

I heard Bill had a NDE a while back and became very spiritual but I don't know if this involves a specific religion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	billphillipswtf.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	3713  
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

That's spooky. I was just thinking this morning ' What ever happened to Bill Phillips'?

Years ago, I thought 'Muscle Media 2000' was the best thing since sliced bread. It seemed a breath of fresh air after the Weider tripe. Then he took a decision to alter the direction of the mag and go for a more mainstream look.

I went off him after he promoted HMB and CLA as incredible new supplements. I fell for the hype, spent an arm and a leg on them, and got zip out of them.

I jumped ship with TC Luoma, who set up Testosterone (later T-Nation) as 'the old spirit of Muscle Media'. And it sure was, as he did the same super-supplement carpet-bombing. Fell for it again, of course, another bunch of over-priced and entirely useless supplements.

Bill's no doubt got his good points, but he and those from his stable make a speciality for parting fools like me from their money.

I hope that's a toupe, I really do.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote