Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Went to the Army recruiter today (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2667)

CallmeKing 03-25-2010 03:45 PM

Went to the Army recruiter today

Well my original plan was to go to emt and paramedic school but I currently do not have the funds for that. I went into the army recruiter today and everything went smooth. On monday I'm going to take my ASVAB and physical. I know there are a lot of former and active army guys on this forum. I do have to get a waiver for some dumb sh*t I did as a juvinille so if that gets cleared I should be good to go.

Just thought I would let you guys know

strkout35 03-25-2010 03:55 PM

that's awesome man sounds great

glwanabe 03-25-2010 04:01 PM

Good stuff. Go look through MOS books and make sure you get the mos that you want. Army medical training for medics has a few different levels, and you can even go Special OPS. Spec ops guys get seriously good training, but it's not easy.

My first assignment in Korea was with a Dustoff unit. I was a blackhawk crewchief assigned to a medical command. I even worked in a platoon assigned to support the MASH unit.

CallmeKing 03-25-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 41036)
Good stuff. Go look through MOS books and make sure you get the mos that you want. Army medical training for medics has a few different levels, and you can even go Special OPS. Spec ops guys get seriously good training, but it's not easy.

My first assignment in Korea was with a Dustoff unit. I was a blackhawk crewchief assigned to a medical command. I even worked in a platoon assigned to support the MASH unit.

Sounds pretty cool I want to do something mechanical or medical

glwanabe 03-25-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CallmeKing (Post 41037)
Sounds pretty cool I want to do something mechanical or medical

Pick a job that has real world applications in the field you want to work in.

Aviation jobs are very specialized in the Army, and don't carry over as well as some others.

Diesel mechanics is always good. Medical is good, but for any of them you still need civillian accredidation, and or licenses. Just be sure to do your homework.

Have you checked with the Air Force? The overallquality of life and schooling is better than with the Army. Your past issues, may be a stumbling block with them.

jhuse2 03-25-2010 04:13 PM

Sound good King. I hope everything goes well. I wish I could have joined the military when I was younger.

CallmeKing 03-25-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 41040)
Pick a job that has real world applications in the field you want to work in.

Aviation jobs are very specialized in the Army, and don't carry over as well as some others.

Diesel mechanics is always good. Medical is good, but for any of them you still need civillian accredidation, and or licenses. Just be sure to do your homework.

Have you checked with the Air Force? The overallquality of life and schooling is better than with the Army. Your past issues, may be a stumbling block with them.

I'd perfer the Army my dad is in the Air Force and my sister is in DEP for AF my mom was also former service Air Force. I want to do it diffirent.

MMA Max 03-25-2010 04:59 PM

I am current Army for many years, I am a MP and I have served over seas a few times, If you have any question's please feel free to ask me. I will tell you this...I don't care what the Army recruiter tells you, You will find yourself in Ass-Crackistan or Iraq, Please understand this. If you are ok with this then by all mean's ask me your question's, I am not here to recruit you but save you from a possible bad choice if you are not prepared for going over seas and if you choose medical and get attached to a combat unit you will possibly find yourself over seas...Now that the disclaimer is out of the way

HOOOAHHHH!

BendtheBar 03-25-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 41036)
Good stuff. Go look through MOS books and make sure you get the mos that you want.

Exactly. Be ready to walk if they don't give you what you want. I wanted a supply and the Army said "none available." I told him that I was going to go next door to the Marines and suddenly that MOS WAS available!

You're too smart to be a meat shield, and don't let them force you into being one.

nighttrain 03-25-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CallmeKing (Post 41032)
Well my original plan was to go to emt and paramedic school but I currently do not have the funds for that. I went into the army recruiter today and everything went smooth. On monday I'm going to take my ASVAB and physical. I know there are a lot of former and active army guys on this forum. I do have to get a waiver for some dumb sh*t I did as a juvinille so if that gets cleared I should be good to go.

Just thought I would let you guys know

OK King, first off, congrats on what i consider to be a good choice (of course im biased)

alright 2ndly, anthing the recruiter promises you make sure you get it in writing...

as far as mechanical Jobs go, if that is what you think you want to do then the only MOS to chose is 91B- light wheel mechanic... promotions in the 91A (M1 tank), 91M (bradley fighting vechicle), 91P i think (howitser) MOSs suck when you get up in rank suck.... the light wheel guys out promote us hands down. I am a 91M, I made it to SFC but couldn't go any higher and the youger guys are starting to see a trend of not getting promoted.

if you want you can PM me and i will fill you in on anything you want to know, i have almost 20 years time in service and i retire in May so i know what im talking about.

once again i applaud you in your future choice and will gladly welcome you in to the service of our great country. :rockon::rockon::rockon: