Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine
Default Smolov Jr for bench?

as the title suggest im thinking of do this.... any thoughts?

Smolov Junior Powerlifting Cycle
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 02-21-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
as the title suggest im thinking of do this.... any thoughts?

Smolov Junior Powerlifting Cycle
I think certain people could handle it, especially younger guys. The biggest DONMs days for me would be Monday and Wednesday. I'm wondering how it would work on a MWF, instead of 4 day per week.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

i like it and i don't like it..........

i like it for the reason of really focusing on building real power on the selected lift whether it be bench, deads, or squats but..........

i don't like it cause i think it could drain you and you would neglect other body parts and could develop some bad habits of neglect to those parts that could stick with you. and for a young guy that could be a major setback.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

This makes me wonder if adding a squat and deadlift day on off days is advised/possible...

Old 02-21-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post

i like it for the reason of really focusing on building real power on the selected lift whether it be bench, deads, or squats but..........

i don't like it cause i think it could drain you and you would neglect other body parts and could develop some bad habits of neglect to those parts that could stick with you. and for a young guy that could be a major setback.
I like this answer.

"K"

I understand that you want to get your bench numbers better. I think that right now you would be better served to stick with an all round balanced program and just focus on progression.

You need to concentrate on some overhead pressing, in addition to your benching. DELTOIDS!! You need some serious shoulder power to have a good bench. Build a program utilizing the 4 main big compounds. Squat, deads, bench, and pressing. Pair them up thus:

Squat, bench
Deads, Pressing

Add some assistance work, and go after it 3x a week. Keep adding weight and you will get your numbers up. The smolov is not what you need right now. IMO. Keep it simple, and just keep hitting it.

You had mentioned that you had been neglecting heavy shoulder work. Thats were you bench numbers are hiding. I hit my best bench numbers and I didn't bench, I did heavy delt work.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I think certain people could handle it, especially younger guys. The biggest DONMs days for me would be Monday and Wednesday. I'm wondering how it would work on a MWF, instead of 4 day per week.
i was thinking of possibly seperating day 3 and 4, making it 8 day program, instead of 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post

to have a decent total, i really need to get my bench up. its very weak compared to my other lifts. i was thinking on getting this up with smolov jr and then after 2 weeks, run smolov jr for front squats to help deads and back squat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
This makes me wonder if adding a squat and deadlift day on off days is advised/possible...
i planned to. i was thinking of doing blast your bench, similar to this. on that program you still squat, but just try to maintain it, rather than really push for numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
I like this answer.

"K"

I understand that you want to get your bench numbers better. I think that right now you would be better served to stick with an all round balanced program and just focus on progression.

You need to concentrate on some overhead pressing, in addition to your benching. DELTOIDS!! You need some serious shoulder power to have a good bench. Build a program utilizing the 4 main big compounds. Squat, deads, bench, and pressing. Pair them up thus:

Squat, bench
Deads, Pressing

Add some assistance work, and go after it 3x a week. Keep adding weight and you will get your numbers up. The smolov is not what you need right now. IMO. Keep it simple, and just keep hitting it.

You had mentioned that you had been neglecting heavy shoulder work. Thats were you bench numbers are hiding. I hit my best bench numbers and I didn't bench, I did heavy delt work.
i agree, i do really need to work on this. im trying to come up with a long term program, based of ideas of C&P, where i have about an 8 day cycle.

i really want to work on this, but i still wouldnt mind benching 225 very soon.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn

here is what i may do.

tues: smolov bench, front squats

thurs: smolov bench, bb rows

sat: smolov bench,

Sun: smolov bench, back squat

something close to above.... still needs work
Old 02-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
here is what i may do.

tues: smolov bench, front squats

thurs: smolov bench, bb rows

sat: smolov bench,

Sun: smolov bench, back squat

something close to above.... still needs work
I like the idea of an 8 day cycle. That looks solid. Simple, and hard work.

I agree with GL on many of his points, and normally I wouldn't recommend Smolov for a younger lifter. But with that said, I know your track record and how hard you work. I think trying this for a month would be OK.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

without actually knowing you personally i don't want you to take offense to this but this is just kinda how i have seen you post..........

you are very young and very determined and very impatient.....
you get an idea in your head of where you want to go with your training and alot of times no matter what the advice is you seem to wanna go your own way.........
you are always searching for new ways and new ideas to achieve you goals but never actually sticking to one and driving foward.........

being strong in mind and driven like you seem to be is not a bad thing i think its just clouding your judgement sometimes on just keeping things simple and gettin work done. you want this bench so badly i wonder if its cause you feel like you have to prove to people how strong you are with #'s. what you are doin at your age and the knowledge you have right now has set you up for a lifetime of strength.

don't take any of what i said the wrong way. hope you find the workout that fits you and you stick with it.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Get after the smolov "K". Get it out of your system. I'm no different than you. When I wrap my head around an idea, I go for it.

This is Yuri Van Gelder. He's a gymnast who specializes on the rings. Gymnastic strength training is how I set a PR for bench awhile back. Gymnastics requires a lot of Delt strength. Not to mention Abs.

glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote