Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:35 AM   #1
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!
Default Finding my motivation

Now don't get me wrong, I'm still looking for it. Those of you who've been around for a while know me, and know how dedicated I was once upon a time. But a few things happened and my desire to lift went downhill pretty hard.

1. I moved away from my community of lifting friends. This hurt a lot, without them to push me, I found myself calling it quits a few reps early, or skipping that last isolation lift.

2. I got a real job. I had been consulting and making my own hours. Having to lift around a 10 hour a day schedule sucks.

3. I got married. As much as I tried, wedding planning and the honeymoon killed my consistency i the gym.

4. I got depressed. Not being in the gym makes me depressed. Being depressed makes me less likely to go to the gym. Then I binge eat because I hate myself. You know, fat girl from a romantic comedy sort of stuff.

So, what am I doing about it? I'm doing my best to eat better. My weight is coming off, so it's a start. I am making getting under 275 my main priority.

I'm making myself exercise every day for at least 30 minutes, even if it's just walking. And yes, mowing the lawn counts with the push mower.

I've written out a routine with specific days for the first time in 3 years.

So hopefully this will help. It's embarrassing to say so, but I am even watching old strongman videos to get myself pumped to hit the gym right before i go.

One thing I have noticed, pre-workout powders really have helped me in the past. I could always at least get enough motivation to drink one before a rough day, and then the energy from them got me into the gym and pretty happy about it. I may give them another try.

So let's see how this goes. I may never make world's strongest man, but right now I'd settle for getting a good lifting session in more than twice a week. Let's rock out. But quietly. It's a nice neighborhood.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:24 PM   #2
big_swede
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Ive been in that dark spot too brute. What helped me get work done was to create a routine that made me look forward to train. Progression is ifcourse essential but when life takes over, a training program thats just about having fun and hitting rep prs on a odd lift or whatever is a good motivator.

Good luck buddy!
Old 09-21-2016, 11:40 PM   #3
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Brute - I have been thru all 4 of your points as well. I just recently fought thru a year long bout of depression - brought on by my wifes ongoing unemployment and thus losing my ability to train with my crew - long with a few other things.

Like you said, you just have to look for a spark to ignite that inner spirit all us powerlifters and strongmen have to lift. For me, it was recently receiving 2 meet medals that were unjustly not given to me from 2014 and 2015. Additionally, the guys in the forum were a great help and inspiration.

I do hope you find your way my friend.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs/500X5
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:45 AM   #4
FlankNW
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5 Years.
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: MEAT
FlankNW is a dedicated contributorFlankNW is a dedicated contributorFlankNW is a dedicated contributorFlankNW is a dedicated contributorFlankNW is a dedicated contributorFlankNW is a dedicated contributorFlankNW is a dedicated contributorFlankNW is a dedicated contributorFlankNW is a dedicated contributorFlankNW is a dedicated contributorFlankNW is a dedicated contributor

Brute - Sorry to hear you're not doing well, I'll give my 2cents on what you have below - just my opinions from personal experience-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
1. I moved away from my community of lifting friends. This hurt a lot, without them to push me, I found myself calling it quits a few reps early, or skipping that last isolation lift.

2. I got a real job. I had been consulting and making my own hours. Having to lift around a 10 hour a day schedule sucks.

3. I got married. As much as I tried, wedding planning and the honeymoon killed my consistency i the gym.

4. I got depressed. Not being in the gym makes me depressed. Being depressed makes me less likely to go to the gym. Then I binge eat because I hate myself. You know, fat girl from a romantic comedy sort of stuff.
1.I can't really comment on this one, I moved city, but my 'lifting friends' community was pretty skeleton where I was at best. I have found another community of lifting friends here (better than my previous one) so I think this is something that can sort itself if you are in the right gym/talk to people occasionally etc. This kind of thing I find can fix itself in time - although can be intimidating at first, especially if you're not the kind of person to talk to random people.

2. I've been doing this for the last 5 years, I agree, it sucks. What I found worked for me is basically tagging my sessions on to my working day, before I get home, having my preworkout en route to the gym, no matter how shitty the day has been that always seems to get me 'in the mood'. Sometimes you'll be tired (even yawning), but in my experience, it doesn't impact your performance as much as you think.

This way for me it became part of my routine, and just 'something I did'. I found it difficult to go home, sit down etc. then motivate myself to get up and lift heavy things when there's TV/food/computer games there.

3. First, congratulations on being married! Can't help you on this one though as I'm single. Sounds like it's a temporary problem though, as I'd imagine that any woman who knows you well enough to marry will know that lifting is important to you, and something that makes you happy, so would probably be supportive of you spending time in the gym.

4. I was the opposite of this - I was depressed, and lifting was one of my main outlets which helped me get over my depression/borderline alcoholism.

There were periods since then when I'd massively beat myself up and get depressed if I missed a session etc. It's a very tricky situation, but I think the only solution is to be less 'black and white' about things. At the end of the day I realised I wasn't trying to be a professional powerlifter/rugby player/strongman, I was doing it because I like being strong as shit, being able to eat more than I otherwise could, and I just like picking up heavy things.

Missing a few sessions wasn't the end of the world. It's hard to make this realisation, but once I forced it on myself, it was actually very liberating.

I think you're going about it the right way, planning sessions etc is always helpful, in order to have a bit of structure etc, I found that really helped me.

Not sure if this helps at all, but it's all stuff that I'd have liked to know when I was first experiencing those kind of things.
Bench 170 (142.5)

At BW<100kg.

My Training Log
FlankNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:20 AM   #5
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

I just wanted to thank everyone for dropping in and encouraging me. It really is amazing how much the words of people from a tightly knit group like this can make a difference. One way or another I'll make it work. It's still important to me, and I will find the time to get it done.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:43 AM   #6
KD5NFW
Road to 1400
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: yes
Fav Supp: meat
KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!

I'm in the same boat right now Brute. We'll figure it out.
Dead 232.5 (513) 6/21/2015
Total 590 (1,301) 6/21/2015
KD5NFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:21 AM   #7
OneMorePlate
Max Brawn

Training Type: Other
OneMorePlate is one with Crom!OneMorePlate is one with Crom!OneMorePlate is one with Crom!OneMorePlate is one with Crom!OneMorePlate is one with Crom!OneMorePlate is one with Crom!OneMorePlate is one with Crom!OneMorePlate is one with Crom!OneMorePlate is one with Crom!OneMorePlate is one with Crom!OneMorePlate is one with Crom!

Not surprised looks like you have identified the concerns & already have a plan in place.
You'll rebound Brute, the hardest part is the initial phase after this your spirits, motivation will pick up
Will equate it to an all out sumo pull; the bar challenges your soul just to break ground the farther you move the bar the easier it becomes.
Cleaning up the diet will also help with the longer days and energy levels.

You'll be back up to speed in relatively short time frame.
OneMorePlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:33 AM   #8
SubZero
New Brawn

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Bench
SubZero is off to a bad start

Happens to me every few years. I'm married, have a kid, work full time plus long commute... live in the country and have tons of work around the house/property to do.

But as soon as I get to the point where I feel like I don't want to go back to the iron, I'll see somebody who's got their sh*t together (is big/in shape/etc.) and then it's on... I always want to be that big strong guy that people remember when they see. As soon as I realize that might not be me anymore, I'm back to it. I will not be part of the weak/scrawny/flabby masses... never. And seeing the success of others is what snaps me back into it.

I've worked too hard for too long to not continue reaping the benefits I've put so much of my life into.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #9
JTM811
Brawn

Training Exp: Off and on 15 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts or Squats
JTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributor

Hang in bro! Like you and others I've been in your shoes too. Life happens and it isn't always fun. I've been down this week because I haven't lifted at all and money issues came up. I haven't prioritized my time well because of other obligations and getting to the gym even once took a back burner. But I also had to recognize that last Thursday I tweaked my hammy a little on deads, and was already thinking of a deload week this week for squats and deads since I haven't done one since the winter. My positive is that maybe I just needed a week off to heal and refocus, then come back next week. Stay strong Brute!
JTM811 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:25 PM   #10
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Well, motivation to get into the gym (aka my garage) was strong today. Now I just have to dig deep to do my RDLs and ab work.