Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

View Poll Results: Should a forum encourage the posting of pics/videos?
Yes. Pics and videos help build a community of respect. 15 88.24%
No. Some of us want anonymity. I don't want the pressure. 0 0%
It's a good idea in theory but limits forum growth. 0 0%
I don't care either way. I'm here for the testosterone thread. 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Poll: Picture Posting on Lifting Forums

What are your thoughts on lifting forums and the posting of pictures and videos...

-- Do you feel it helps a forum when everyone is encouraged to be forthcoming about their current state, and posts pictures and videos?

-- Do you feel that a lifting forum should stay out of the business of encouraging lifters to post pictures?

What do you think and why? Any personal stories from either side of the fence?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-05-2010 at 10:05 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

personally i think pics and videos make a huge difference and making the forum a little more personal. i think you can actually feel like you have a friendship with the person when you can put a face(or body) to the name. when you can physically see results and progress in someone's pics it makes things seem real and not just bs across a web page.

i really wanted to vote for the test thread though.........
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post

i really wanted to vote for the test thread though.........
Me too The test thread is my daily escape from swarms of emails.

My thoughts are...handling things in the manner we do at MAB does hinder growth in a certain sense. But we are creating a home for lifters that don't want hidden "Internet Ninjas" who talk and talk and talk but don't do.

No one here has to be a Superman. God knows I used to think I was strong until I met you guys! To me the picture thing is not about chest pounding, or denying someone the right to post advice/opinions because they don't look like such-and-such.

For me, pictures and videos builds trust and respect. We know we aren't hiding. Look at BB.com's Bodyspace...lots of pictures, and it can be an enjoyable community. No one can really hide.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by nighttrain; 02-05-2010 at 09:51 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
What are your thoughts on lifting forums and the posting of pictures and videos...
This is the only forum, that I have experience with that has a rule for such. I personally like the rule, and feel it sets this forum apart, in a good way.

The rule does not say you have to have a picture to be a member, only that you must provide one as a sort of resume to give lifting advice. Again, this is a good policy.

Members should not have an issue with giving there experience level, or particular area of what they consider their expertise area. Responses should be tempered with the thought as to what is opinion, and what is considered fact. Many people confuse their opinion for fact.

Quote:
-- Do you feel it helps a forum when everyone is encouraged to be forthcoming about their current state, and posts pictures and videos?
Absolutely!

Again, this is what sets this forum apart from others. Frankly, I like it. It keeps the BS chest beating down, and promotes a more real, mature, serious lifting atmoshere for discussion. I'm not against having fun, and making some jokes. However these things can get out of hand and destroy a good forum. The quality of the content is diluted by too much of this type of behavior. There are plenty of places to go act like a fool, go there and do that. Come here to lift, and SFW.

Quote:
-- Do you feel that a lifting forum should stay out of the business of encouraging lifters to post pictures?
No. Not here at least.

There are already plenty of places like that. The internet is full of E-stat Supermen. I'd rather have 10 serious lifters together, than 100 BS people who only talk like they are the greatest thing since Arnold.

Quote:
What do you think and why? Any personal stories from either side of the fence?

I think I've pretty much covered my thoughts. MAB, needs to be different. We don't need to do what the other guys do. BB.com is a huge forum with plenty of people. It's also a wasteland because it is allowed to run amuck in so many ways.

BB.com's workout section is a prime example of what can happen when things are allowed to be polluted. That sub-forum is a complete wasteland of BS.

Change your rule to say that anybody can offer any advice without having any idea of who they are, and this place will turn into that.

There is already the seeds of some behavior starting to take shape here that needs to be addressed. It's not out of hand, but better to kill it before it becomes commonplace than to let this place be contaminated by it.

Lets keep our mission in focus, and concentrate on what we are here to do.
Get big, get strong, get ripped!
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
nighttrain
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68

Training Exp: 20+
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

I agree fully with the rule that you should have to post a picture and current stats in order to give advice.

as, i have said before I am not the strongest, biggest, most ripped or even most knowledgeable person on the internet.... Infact im probally far from it, but i do have a vast knowledge of physical fitness, and i like to help out where i can. If that means i have to post a picture resume so to speak then so be it, no big deal.

plus if you post before, during, and after pictures people can see your progress... they can actually see progress that you may not see yourself. think about it for a moment, you look at yourself inthe mirror everyday, chances are you will not notice gradual growth as to you, you look the same as you did yesterday..

ok enough ranting for me... like i said previously, i like the rule and WE here at MaB need to be better in order to make a better place to grow.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
buZZkiLL
NOOB
Brawn
Points: 1,007, Level: 17 Points: 1,007, Level: 17 Points: 1,007, Level: 17
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

buZZkiLL is new to the forumbuZZkiLL is new to the forum

I guess I don't worry about it either way. Not having trolls here is pretty damn cool.
buZZkiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

I think it should be mandatory.

But a picture doesn't mean everything, you could have a fit ass guy who is genetically blessed and works hard but really doesn't know ****.
Then have completely out of shape bastard that has a studied really deep into the material (degrees,certs, ect), but just doesn't feel like making the change to him/her self.

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:01 PM   #8
onetiredkris
Max Brawn

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

it censored my verbage!! haha, nice.

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #9
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetiredkris View Post
I think it should be mandatory.

But a picture doesn't mean everything, you could have a fit ass guy who is genetically blessed and works hard but really doesn't know ****.
Then have completely out of shape bastard that has a studied really deep into the material (degrees,certs, ect), but just doesn't feel like making the change to him/her self.
your right that a picture won't tell the whole story about the person's true knowledge but having 10 different degrees and certificates doesn't make you the smartest either. too many things work for one but not the other. the rest is just advice and if you haven't tested your knowledge in the real world how can you truly know if your advice is accurate.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
onetiredkris
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
your right that a picture won't tell the whole story about the person's true knowledge but having 10 different degrees and certificates doesn't make you the smartest either. too many things work for one but not the other. the rest is just advice and if you haven't tested your knowledge in the real world how can you truly know if your advice is accurate.
Well, while it being true that any dumbass can scrape by and earn a degree without truly comprehending the subject. I would like to have some faith in formal education and believe someone who is taught heavily researched findings has more knowledge than a fit person spitting bro-science.

So it kind of goes both ways, but I think the gathering and discussing of different views (like on this forum) can really fish out the good information from the nonsense.

-OTK's LOG-