Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
Shaolinkiwi
Ground Zero Training
Max Brawn
Points: 3,328, Level: 35 Points: 3,328, Level: 35 Points: 3,328, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Shaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributor

All I can add to this is I rate begin in the gym, it's my second home. So when I happy with my cut (sometime away) I'll be looking to add some mass with C&P.
Think that it will work nicely coming off a cut and throwing some more cals into the mix.

T-Alpha Log - CURRENT
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sup...alpha-log.html

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me 1500+! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!
Shaolinkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2010, 09:25 PM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post

low risk=low reward

high risk= high reward
I consider high risk simply manning up and pushing for progression on each set. That's "risky" for 90% that lift.

I was training with lower reps when no one was talking about lower rep training for hypertrophy. This might sound like a chest beating, but remember I grew up lifting in the 80's when the only thing on the planet was Weider propaganda. There was no full body routines for me, and no "lower rep" thinking. I just had me and the weights, and I found what worked for me.

My entire year last year in fact was lower rep, rest-pause work, and most of my training over the last 13 years was all under 6 reps. Of course, it's not structured like C&P, but it's a lot of the same thinking. Doug Hepburn used the same style strategy to get strong as heck.

I wanted to mention this because I have always leaned towards lower reps and heavier weight. This didn't start overnight, of course. I found out quickly that heavy weight sets made my body responded, and from 1986 to 1989, my training evolved to a focus on strength first.

Many of you guys grew up in the Internet era. There was no information superhighway for us old-schoolers. We just learned out body and applied what we learned.

Low rep, high rep, whatever rep. Move more weight. That's what works.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:33 PM   #13
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

I think the internet has helped us but also hurt some people. Sometimes there is just too much information and you really dont learn anything until you get under the bar. A lot of young folks spend way to much time posting in forums, trying to prove that they know more than any one else. I love to read about lifting but I have learned the most by being in the gym and talking with people that I want to look like.

I started lifting a long time ago, and my dad taught me what to do in my basement. We never did curls or anything, we did compounds for 3 sets of 5 or 6. I have always looked up to my dad, the man is huge. And used to just be jacked, so I wanted to be bigger than him. I am still working for this, I love low reps and I love pushing more weight.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:14 PM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
I think the internet has helped us but also hurt some people. Sometimes there is just too much information and you really dont learn anything until you get under the bar. A lot of young folks spend way to much time posting in forums, trying to prove that they know more than any one else. I love to read about lifting but I have learned the most by being in the gym and talking with people that I want to look like.

I started lifting a long time ago, and my dad taught me what to do in my basement. We never did curls or anything, we did compounds for 3 sets of 5 or 6. I have always looked up to my dad, the man is huge. And used to just be jacked, so I wanted to be bigger than him. I am still working for this, I love low reps and I love pushing more weight.
Your approach has always been commendable, and it's one I hope more of the younger guys follow. When you try something new, you do it for the right reasons. Many times it's easy for young guys to see a program and do it because so and so is doing it, and then a week later another so and so comes along. It's definitely OK to start with a certain approach. We model who we idolize. But the Internet age gives us a billion idols, and it can get tricky. people start to look for a perfect routine, and don't understand the necessity of learning their own body.

My point about you is that you take it, learn from it, and apply it to your needs and body. You are in essence creating your own style and approach. That was basically the point of my long-winded ramble...I did the same thing...I learned my body and did what felt right using the tools I had available.

When a young lifter jumps programs every week or two, they never learn "under the bar". I learned under the bar that the Weider programs were useless for me. You learn under the bar what approach works for your body.

We all start somewhere...with Casey Butt, John Christy, Jay Cutler or Jamie Lewis. And somewhere along the road we train with something that is uniquely ours.

I wish I could do 500 pound plus partial squats. I envy C&P in that respect. I physically "can", but my shoulders and biceps always strain. This is part of the "under the bar" education.

Anyway, end of my babble for tonight...

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-31-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:02 AM   #15
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I <3 Huckabees, and these...

MILK FOR WEIGHT GAIN!!!!
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
MILK FOR WEIGHT GAIN!!!!
And a natural testosterone booster!

What a kick ass supplement.