Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:09 AM   #1
CaseyB1987
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 1.5 year
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor
Default Need advice on dealing with stress

I did something really stupid today. On my drive into work, some guy was on my tale the whole way and I was doing 5mph over the speed limit. He stayed on my ass for almost the whole 30 minute drive. When we finally entered a straightaway he tried to pass me. I should have just let him pass but I got pissed, so I punched it and wouldn’t let him pass me. After about 5 seconds, he slowed down, got behind me and backed off. What I did was stupid. I could have caused a wreck. After I got to work, I asked myself “Why did you get so pissed off? Why did you let that bother you?” My root problem is stress. I’ve let stress from work and stress from personal life get to me. I’m worrying about little shit that I can’t do anything about.

Do you guys have any advice on how to get rid of all the stress? I know I’m not the only one who has this problem, so how do you guys deal with it?

Last edited by CaseyB1987; 06-02-2015 at 11:32 AM.
CaseyB1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Dude, therapy, seriously. My wife has anxiety disorder and getting into therapy along with getting some medication made a huge difference in her life. For the past 3+ years she's been either pregnant or breastfeeding, and hasn't been able to be medicated. She's been struggling and we were even having marriage problems. She just started finally taking something again and almost instantly things starting improving.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #3
big_swede
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Trainikg works for me, or getting out walking by the sea.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:31 AM   #4
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

I am the exact opposite. Id he pretty damn pissed if i was behind someone for 30 minutes and they didn't pull off or let me pass.

Dont get like me. I literally scream and cry and hit myself in the face because of road rage or hearing someone talk nonstop at work. I feel like it wouldnt bother me to kill someone. My blood pressure is up up and away.

Big Swede and Soldier are both right, although i havent tried therapy yet. Lifting is an amazing stress reliever if you let yourself get a little emotional. One last thing, being alone, at least for me, helps alot. Some people get worse when theyre alone though. I wish you the best, know that youre not alone.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Chicken every day Homie!
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Iron is therapy. Training is therapy. However, since you are already here I am assuming you are already doing that.
If you really are concerned about your mental state I encourage you to seek professional help. There is no shame in doing so and it can make a difference. Therapy and/or Psychiatry can be extremely valuable tools for getting through a rough mental and emotional season in your life.
Having said that, I have a hard time trusting and liking therapists and psychiatrists. I think often times they are lazy, jaded, and at times flat out irresponsible. It is up to you to use take some initiative, ask questions, and take the time to find the right people that work for you and your personality.
To be transparent with you, I personally have been on Prozac for 5 months due to anxiety and OCD brought on by "outside factors". I was doing therapy for a while, but I chose to part ways with my therapist and need to seek another one. He was helpful, but he was a one trick pony and there were some other things I didn't care for.
Anyway, long story short, if you need it there is help and you should utilize it.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #6
CaseyB1987
Max Brawn

CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor

Thanks for the advice guys. My biggest problem is I let shit at work get to me when I shouldn't. The Iron is the best therapy. I lifted this morning and I think my own "Mr. Hyde" still wanted to play. I tend to get pretty fucking angry when I lift. Plus, I had Pantera blastin' in the car, so I had a "fuck you" attitude anyway. I started the tread right after I got to work, so I was really flustered but I'm all good now, I just need to learn how to take all my aggression out on the iron and not on the road.

ED- I'm just like you man. I need some "ME" time.

Last edited by CaseyB1987; 06-02-2015 at 11:24 AM.
CaseyB1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:39 AM   #7
Sandbox
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 30
Fav Supp: Dead Cow
Sandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master member

Casey...I've battled that most of my life. Recently I discovered floatation tanks. Awesome.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:40 AM   #8
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB1987 View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. My biggest problem is I let shit at work get to me when I shouldn't. The Iron is the best therapy. I lifted this morning and I think my own "Mr. Hyde" still wanted to play. I tend to get pretty fucking angry when I lift. Plus, I had Pantera blastin' in the car, so I had a "fuck you" attitude anyway. I started the tread right after I got to work, so I was really flustered but I'm all good now, I just need to learn how to take all my aggression out on the iron and not on the road.

ED- I'm just like you man. I need some "ME" time.
Work is one of the worst ones for me. But thats changing soon.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:38 PM   #9
SCStrong
Max Brawn

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Furry Critters
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB1987 View Post
I did something really stupid today. ......

Do you guys have any advice on how to get rid of all the stress? I know Iím not the only one who has this problem, so how do you guys deal with it?
Bourbon & Jesus, man!
Old 06-02-2015, 12:54 PM   #10
CaseyB1987
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
Bourbon & Jesus, man!
Amen SC amen! I need to ask the lord for some relief from all these idiots i work with.