Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #1
Iron_Addict82
Max Brawn

Training Exp: Not enough
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beta Alanine
Iron_Addict82 is a lifting machineIron_Addict82 is a lifting machineIron_Addict82 is a lifting machineIron_Addict82 is a lifting machineIron_Addict82 is a lifting machineIron_Addict82 is a lifting machineIron_Addict82 is a lifting machineIron_Addict82 is a lifting machineIron_Addict82 is a lifting machineIron_Addict82 is a lifting machineIron_Addict82 is a lifting machine
Default Really?????

https://www.yahoo.com/food/are-you-e...709041786.html

In this article they say we only need 56g (for a man) of protein a day. So that only 224 calories a day from protein. Ive read articles where it say to keep fat around 50g a day (450 calories) and carbs in the low 100s (400ish cals). That's around 1000 cals a day. Who could survive like that. now this has nothing to do with bodybuilding or powerlifting or fitness just for average people. The article may have also been trying to push the vegan movement as well.

What do yall think about info like this being published?
Iron_Addict82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #2
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

All the fda serving size bullshit is based on a ridiculous 2000 calorie diet. Id die off that little protein. I had 150 grams for lunch
Old 05-01-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
Dray
100kg w/ abs! :p
Max Brawn

Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: strict press
Fav Supp: whey & fish oil
Dray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite member

If you are entirely sedentary, and you don't have a big build to start with, 2000 kcal would probably do the trick in a lot of cases.

As in, you won't starve, and you can get all the nutrients you need pretty easily... not that many people will, of course, but that's another issue.

But if they're truly saying ONE thousand is enough? Hell, no.

edit: I suspect it's mostly an overly strong (misguided and/or agenda-driven) reaction to the obesity epidemic sweeping not only the US, but similarly developed countries as well (like here, the UK, etc.) That is a real problem, and a serious one. However, this is not how you deal with it.

Last edited by Dray; 05-01-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:07 PM   #4
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

it is a survival level of calories

Army studies have kept soldiers on 800 kcals per day for extended periods, ehich was a minimum needed for functionality.

Army studies also grew muscle on 6g of protein per day.

Personally, until around age 20 my BF was 4-5% with 10% of less of calories from protein and I was steadily (but slowly) adding muscle the whole time.

"Do not change shit up during a training cycle." -Sandbox

Best PL total: 1020 - 350/265/405
Current total: 925 - 315/245/365
jdmalm123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:53 AM   #5
BravenFenix
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 04/2013
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
BravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beast

I think the human body is an amazing thing.

Instagram: https://instagram.com/bravenfitness

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/BravenFitness

Training Log: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forum/show...918#post517918
BravenFenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 02:39 AM   #6
baldbull
Brawn

Training Exp: 16
Fav Exercise: pull
Fav Supp: muscletech products
baldbull has made some good postsbaldbull has made some good postsbaldbull has made some good postsbaldbull has made some good postsbaldbull has made some good postsbaldbull has made some good postsbaldbull has made some good postsbaldbull has made some good postsbaldbull has made some good postsbaldbull has made some good postsbaldbull has made some good posts

Haha i have snacks w that much protein. Im 385lbs. I try to take in 400 grams plus a day
Old 05-02-2015, 09:18 AM   #7
Biggraygrizzly
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 32
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Beef Aminos
Biggraygrizzly is a lifting beastBiggraygrizzly is a lifting beastBiggraygrizzly is a lifting beastBiggraygrizzly is a lifting beastBiggraygrizzly is a lifting beastBiggraygrizzly is a lifting beastBiggraygrizzly is a lifting beastBiggraygrizzly is a lifting beastBiggraygrizzly is a lifting beastBiggraygrizzly is a lifting beastBiggraygrizzly is a lifting beast

In this article they say we only need 56g (for a man) of protein a day. So that only 224 calories a day from protein. Ive read articles where it say to keep fat around 50g a day (450 calories) and carbs in the low 100s (400ish cals). That's around 1000 cals a day. Who could survive like that. now this has nothing to do with bodybuilding or powerlifting or fitness just for average people. The article may have also been trying to push the vegan movement as well.

Well, this article from what I read has no data or studies backing this up, or peer review form research so it could be an opinion from the vegan community. In the article it state that men are recommended 56gm of protein a day, now with that being said protein need are relative as heavy weight in the gym, by that I mean is one size does not fit all whether it is a sedentary person or athlete when it comes to protein requirements a sedentary person will require less protein that one who is involved in a exercise program and also when determining protein requirement is also depending on height, weight, age and activity levels and that with the Harris- Benedict formula for EEN and in a clinical setting protein need are determined with .08 grams per bodyweight in kilos(150lb man divide by 2.2=68kg x.08=54gm protein) instead of using 1 gram per pound body weight (150 x 1gm- 150, and when it come to determining an athlete's need it can vary to 1-1.5 gms depending on what sport, height, weight, age. So this article does include these factors as well and to me it made a broad stroke statement with the 56 grams per day for men, I have had End Stage Renal Dialysis patients who were on much 70gm of protein and some 30gm and that because of height, weight, age, activity level which once again the one size fit all does not apply, and that is the fault I with the article, because as most lifters know a 150lb bodybuilder is going to have a different protein needs that a 275lbs power lifter and the authors seem not to realize that everyone is not the same and you can not use the "Cookie Cutter Method" on every one. The only point in the article that has some validity in the first paragraph when it stated that average person is increasing protein intake with various items, because it big business and half those folks do not exercise, which were this article fails to point out, I have always told patients every time you eat whether they were diabetic, on some trying to loose weight to eat a protein ,carbohydrate, and a fat every time they ate , this keep glucose(blood sugar)normal longer, and the protein and fat will keep the satiety ( feeling fuller longer) to help with weight loss and off track eating. Now as far as the vegans let them live, I am a carnivore, each to their own.
Biggraygrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:12 AM   #8
JBWarren70
GymRat
Uber Brawn

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Curls brah!
Fav Supp: Skittles, Pizza, Proteinz
JBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributor

I have been ignoring the number games for some time now. I don't even count calories, don't care to. I eat until I am satisfied, whether that means 1 plate or 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
it is a survival level of calories

Army studies have kept soldiers on 800 kcals per day for extended periods, ehich was a minimum needed for functionality.

Army studies also grew muscle on 6g of protein per day.

Personally, until around age 20 my BF was 4-5% with 10% of less of calories from protein and I was steadily (but slowly) adding muscle the whole time.

In some training environments you get 1 MRE, about 2500-3000 cal per package, for 5 days and dropped off in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night, and "bad guys" are looking for you.

I would consider this more-so than an "athletic" endeavor since you have very little rest, very little recovery, and heightened levels of stress for an extended period of time, and can still function and complete the "mission."
Old 05-02-2015, 12:16 PM   #9
kitarpyar
Max Brawn

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

You indeed can "survive" based on that sort of a diet if you are a sedentary person. The vast majority of human population will fall in that catehory, and its perfectly fine for them.

Before I started lifting, I didn't research any diet, used to eat food high in carb, probably about that much or a little more protein and did just great. That wasn't good enough once I started lifting and eventually had to research a bit about diet and add a lot more protein.

IMO, there's a big difference in dietary requirements for those who lift seriously and those who don't.

EDIT: They specify the minimum for each macro-nutrient for average (read sedentary) persons. The total of the minimum for each macro is in no way equal to the minimum calories required. Basically what it means is you need to get in at least that much of P/C/F - and then add in the remaining calories in whichever way you want, whether that be carb, fats or proteins. So, while it appears it suggests a 1000 cal diet, that really isn't he case.

Last edited by kitarpyar; 05-02-2015 at 03:15 PM.
kitarpyar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:36 PM   #10
LiftingDad
Brawn

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squbendeadlift
Fav Supp: Gym Juice
LiftingDad is a dedicated contributorLiftingDad is a dedicated contributorLiftingDad is a dedicated contributorLiftingDad is a dedicated contributorLiftingDad is a dedicated contributorLiftingDad is a dedicated contributorLiftingDad is a dedicated contributorLiftingDad is a dedicated contributorLiftingDad is a dedicated contributorLiftingDad is a dedicated contributorLiftingDad is a dedicated contributor

It appears to be targeted at the general population.

Protein "needs" is determined by activity level along with all other macronutrients. An athlete will need more amino's as the body is in a near constant state of rebuilding/recovery.

Protein synthesis is heightened with anabolic substances so needs are even higher when anabolic substances are involved.

A sedentary person doesn't need as much.

YouTube: http://youtube.com/LiftingDad
Home Page: Liftingdad.com
LiftingDad is offline   Reply With Quote