Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:28 PM   #1
Dray
100kg w/ abs! :p
Max Brawn

Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: bench press
Fav Supp: wpc
Dray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite member
Default Personal bias GONE MAD! (...for reals)

This is something that bothers me about an awful lot of strength training writers, gurus, Youtube personalities, etc.

What they tend to say, all too often, boils down to: "This works for me / I'm able to to do this / I actually understand this thing, therefore it's awesome / therefore you should do this too." Or, of course: "This doesn't work for me / I'm not able to do this very well (or at all, in some cases) / I don't understand this for shit, therefore it's not good / therefore you shouldn't do this either."

This might not matter so much if they actually came out and said the above, rather than working from that basis, but only saying words to the effect of "you should do this too" or "you shouldn't do this either".

I see this over and over again, all the time, be it regarding pet lifts, frequency, diet, or whatever else. Naturally, this radically changes the routines they create/modify (when they do so at all). Likewise, the routines they might otherwise recommend. Aaaaaand so on.

Anyhow, kudos to those "internet lifter" personalities - wherever they might hold forth - who never had that fucking annoying habit, or have kicked it at some stage.

Yes, there's a whole lot of bullshit in this industry, and this is but one relatively minor aspect. Still, had to get that off my chest.

And meanwhile, happy lifting folks!
Old 03-23-2015, 11:36 PM   #2
Sandbox
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Dead Cow
Sandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master member

Dray - I'm right there with you.
Self-proclaimed experts who diss on whatever they aren't doing or prescribe not to do.
Their favorite retort (to anyone doing anything different): "They're b.s.ing you. They don't really do that" or "They're juiced. That won't work for you".

The first snake oil salesman in this game was Weider. Now the internet has provided the last refuge for the powerbuilding gurus.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #3
skids
Max Brawn

Training Exp: ????
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Ego Strokers
Fav Supp: More Food
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

Yeah I get caught out by these bastards all the time Mic, I just stoped watching and reading lifting related stuff out side of MAB and just went back to watching motorbike racing, Pure Honest Motorbikes ; its just a world I understand so much better.

The only failure is lack of consistency, and no focus on progression, BTB
skids is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:11 AM   #4
big_swede
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I agree Dray.

There is just a handfull of people who I even read. All of them have proven themself in competition for many years and/or coached very successfull athletes.

Why anyone listens and takes advice from weak, bad looking keyboard warriors who never conpeted or Coached in real life is beyond my understanding
Old 03-24-2015, 12:13 AM   #5
yangwenbin
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Complete Chaos!
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: milk
yangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite member

Same here. When I started, all these contradictory statements drove me crazy, and I still read a lot of lifting related articles, I'm just better at detecting BS, now...
Old 03-24-2015, 01:24 AM   #6
BravenFenix
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 04/2013
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
BravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beast

Bullshit sells, usually more so then non bullshit.

Instagram: https://instagram.com/bravenfitness

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/BravenFitness

Training Log: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forum/show...918#post517918
BravenFenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:35 AM   #7
yangwenbin
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Complete Chaos!
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: milk
yangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post

Why anyone listens and takes advice from weak, bad looking keyboard warriors who never conpeted or Coached in real life is beyond my understanding
This is called good marketing, Swede!
Old 03-24-2015, 04:24 AM   #8
FlankNW
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: 3 years.
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Anything Cheap :)
FlankNW has made some very good postsFlankNW has made some very good postsFlankNW has made some very good postsFlankNW has made some very good postsFlankNW has made some very good postsFlankNW has made some very good postsFlankNW has made some very good postsFlankNW has made some very good postsFlankNW has made some very good postsFlankNW has made some very good postsFlankNW has made some very good posts

I don't particularly follow any of them, the only one I even allow to infiltrate my ear space on a semi regular basis is Johnny Candito, Guess he actually does lift etc, he seems to me like quite a nice guy, and his workout programs/nutrition advice seem to make sense - don't know if anyone shares this opinion....

Oh, and the BroScienceLife guy....but I guess that's more because he's funny
Bench 170 (140)

At BW<100kg.

My Training Log
FlankNW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:47 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:59 AM   #10
Dray
100kg w/ abs! :p
Max Brawn

Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: bench press
Fav Supp: wpc
Dray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlankNW View Post
I don't particularly follow any of them, the only one I even allow to infiltrate my ear space on a semi regular basis is Johnny Candito, Guess he actually does lift etc, he seems to me like quite a nice guy, and his workout programs/nutrition advice seem to make sense - don't know if anyone shares this opinion....

Oh, and the BroScienceLife guy....but I guess that's more because he's funny
To be sure, there are some good ones. Strikes me that Mr. Candito is one of those, from what I've seen (which isn't a lot, but still).

Humour? Well now, they don't need to be smart, honest, ethical or whatever. Just funny.