Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #1
Manlet
Brawn

Manlet is a consistent contributorManlet is a consistent contributorManlet is a consistent contributorManlet is a consistent contributorManlet is a consistent contributorManlet is a consistent contributorManlet is a consistent contributorManlet is a consistent contributorManlet is a consistent contributorManlet is a consistent contributorManlet is a consistent contributor
Default RAF Basic Training

I'm thinking of joining the RAF as an aircraft technician (mechanical), and I'm wondering if anyone here has been in the RAF. If so, what was the basic training at Halton like? What sort of training could I do before I apply to get me ready for it? Even if you weren't in the RAF, any advice on military training would be helpful. Thanks!
Manlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2015, 01:47 PM   #2
Belphegor
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: <1 year
Belphegor is a master memberBelphegor is a master memberBelphegor is a master memberBelphegor is a master memberBelphegor is a master memberBelphegor is a master memberBelphegor is a master memberBelphegor is a master memberBelphegor is a master memberBelphegor is a master memberBelphegor is a master member

US Marine here. Had I been more familiar with what goes on during boot camp, I would have spent more time running. It's one of my least favorite things to do, but instead of being a mediocre runner when joining and putting myself through hell to keep pace with the DI's, I should have ran more at home.

Recovery time is scarce, as is food IME

28 years old
6'2
198lbs
PR's/Total:
295 squat
230 bench
355 deadlift
(880)
Belphegor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:39 PM   #3
SCStrong
Max Brawn

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Furry Critters
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

I have to agree with belph - running ( and overall endurance ) were the keys to basic ( US Army ) and all of my other training for me.

May want to pack on a few ( read: A FEW) pounds before going in.... there will be some long hard days ahead.

On the mental side - just keep focused, do your job, be a team player, and go above and beyond what is asked of you. Work harder - train longer.

( and don't be a "Blue Falcon")
Old 02-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
Manlet
Brawn

Manlet is a consistent contributorManlet is a consistent contributorManlet is a consistent contributorManlet is a consistent contributorManlet is a consistent contributorManlet is a consistent contributorManlet is a consistent contributorManlet is a consistent contributorManlet is a consistent contributorManlet is a consistent contributorManlet is a consistent contributor

As far as training is concerned, other than the obvious running push ups and sit ups what should I focus on in the gym? With the amount of push ups I will be doing should just do a lot of rowing and stay away from benching?
Old 02-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #5
Belphegor
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: <1 year
Belphegor is a master memberBelphegor is a master memberBelphegor is a master memberBelphegor is a master memberBelphegor is a master memberBelphegor is a master memberBelphegor is a master memberBelphegor is a master memberBelphegor is a master memberBelphegor is a master memberBelphegor is a master member

I can't tell you what to stay away from, but I can tell you what we did a lot of, or regularly incorporated into PT. Overhead press, leg raises, chins, sit ups, monkey fuckers, a lot of climbing, swimming, pushups, "log carries," hiking with gear, body carries.

USMC training is pretty intense, and really A LOT of fun. I would be surprised if RAF training is as taxing.

I doubt you can really go wrong as long as you increase your endurance, like SC said, run more and get your head right.

One other thing I would have done is study the history of world military and our political structure, as we spent hours and hours every week learning in a classroom about these very things, and it helps to be prepared.

28 years old
6'2
198lbs
PR's/Total:
295 squat
230 bench
355 deadlift
(880)

Last edited by Belphegor; 02-10-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Belphegor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Anything overhead
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!

You're probably aware of what the standards are, but in case you aren't, I just found this on a running website:

Quote:
The 11 minute/1.5 mile standard is the standard you need to reach prior to being accepted into recruit training. I think you do it on the treadmill, which makes pacing easy enough. Current MSFT (multi-stage fitness test) for serving personnel in your age group [the guy asking the question was 20] are;

level 9-10 to 11-6 for the 20m Bleep test

20 - 39 Press ups (in 1 minute)

35 - 40 sit ups (in 1 minute)

The test is done to maximum effort, hence the range. If you get above the standard in all three disciplins, then you get a light blue pass. The advantage being you only have to take the test every year (and you are fitter). You can also get a dark blue pass, but that would mean;

15.04 Bleep test; 60 or more press ups and 55 or more sit ups.

Anything over level 12 is practically sprinting. Turning at speed becomes difficult.

Bleep test first, closely followed by press ups/sit ups. The whole thing should last no longer than 30 minutes.

This is the basic Pass standard, and has to be achieved every 6 months.

Ignoring irrelevant credentials since I was 17.
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:03 AM   #7
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

The PT test is on a treadmill...for real? haha

Anyways, Yes, we ran a ton, but in general the people who thrived in Basic training were the most athletic. Skinny runners didn't do the best. In fact, the people who kicked ass had some muscle on them but were also pretty lean.

Train like an athlete and you'll be ready for anything. Address whatever weaknesses you have and make sure you're a little good at everything, and you'll be way ahead of most of the pack. No offense to anyone out there, but I can't imagine that RAF initial training is as physically intense as Marine boot camp or Army Basic. You'll probably find that an alarming number of people have done absolutely nothing to physically prepare (That's what happened to me in the Army).
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:49 AM   #8
miked96
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 25
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manlet View Post
As far as training is concerned, other than the obvious running push ups and sit ups what should I focus on in the gym? With the amount of push ups I will be doing should just do a lot of rowing and stay away from benching?
I am a former Marine and I trained recruits for the Marine Corps for three years at Parris Island. My advice to you is get in touch with a recruiter and he will be able to point you in the right direction as what you need to do. Most recruiters in the US also have poolee programs where you do organized physical training to help you prepare. I am not sure about England.
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #9
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Anything overhead
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
No offense to anyone out there, but I can't imagine that RAF initial training is as physically intense as Marine boot camp or Army Basic.
They only have to run as far as the plane, which is generally conveniently parked.

Ignoring irrelevant credentials since I was 17.
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #10
Manlet
Brawn

So what exercises and rep ranges would be most optimal to prepare me?