Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #1
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default Please consider signing this petition.

Please have a read of this article:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...e-sign-5008930

This man has been arrested for administering medicinal cans is oil to his dying two year old daughter, who has been diagnosed with stage four neuroblastoma.

I didn't know what this was, so I did a little research.
Neuroblastoma is a form of Cancer, and is essentially a tumor that forms on the neural crest element of the sympathetic nervous system (the sympathetic nervous system basically stimulates the 'flight or fight' response.)
Severity is measured in levels, and level four is second highest on the severity scale.

Canabis oil is well documented to have helped many young children with the same condition ( a video is provided in the article at the bottom of the page of a father who administered the oil to his son), and the father that has been arrested said he saw a "miraculous" improvement on his little girls condition)
Many others have come forward, and also said the same thing about their children.

The fact that he's been arrested and can no longer continue with this treatment that's clearly working really angers me.
A petition for intervention has gone global, and I wanted to share it with you guys here so that it could get some more signatures to add to the large list of over 160,000.

Here is the link for the petition:

https://www.change.org/p/campbell-ne...sored_donation

Thanks allot!

- Linden
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2015, 11:01 PM   #2
BobbyMac
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: about 3y (total combined)
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: goat milk
BobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributor

This looks like a good cause and all, Linden, but it's in Australia so I'm not sure what good someone who isn't Australian would be doing by signing it, especially since it involves their legal system. Plus, there's a lot of controversy surrounding change.org in that the personal information remains visible on their site (unless you join up) and they've been accused of selling personal data in the past.

My training log: Twice a Week, Twice the Recovery!
BJJ in Moldova: Pride Moldova BJJ

Facebook link
BobbyMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Anything overhead
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

It's a complex and emotive issue, but personally I wouldn't sign a petition like that.

At any one time, there are thousands of people who think they've found a 'miracle cure' for cancer. People are injecting, inhaling, eating and drinking a massive range of substances, from pretty innocuous through to harmful. Each one claims that their treatment really works and that they are being rejected by the medical establishment. And of course people in desperate circumstances are really motivated to believe that these cures work.

So what should the law do when a dad starts giving his daughter an illegal drug because he believes it makes her better? It's a heartbreaking decision someone had to make, but to my mind, they have to do their best to protect the daughter. Even if she is dying, the authorities have a responsibility to stop her from getting even sicker from a well-meaning parent treating her with a powerful drug.

The child can't decide for herself, so it comes down to who you think is best placed to administer medical care to her. I wouldn't support the father in this case, in the same way I wouldn't support a father's right to inject his child with massive doses of vitamin C (also promoted as a miracle cure), or to withdraw a child from cancer treatment to undergo faith healing.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:07 PM   #4
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
This looks like a good cause and all, Linden, but it's in Australia so I'm not sure what good someone who isn't Australian would be doing by signing it, especially since it involves their legal system. Plus, there's a lot of controversy surrounding change.org in that the personal information remains visible on their site (unless you join up) and they've been accused of selling personal data in the past.
Oh right, had no idea this was the case..

Regardless, perhapse we can use this thread for a good discussion, even if people don't feel they should sign the petition.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #5
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
It's a complex and emotive issue, but personally I wouldn't sign a petition like that.

At any one time, there are thousands of people who think they've found a 'miracle cure' for cancer. People are injecting, inhaling, eating and drinking a massive range of substances, from pretty innocuous through to harmful. Each one claims that their treatment really works and that they are being rejected by the medical establishment. And of course people in desperate circumstances are really motivated to believe that these cures work.

So what should the law do when a dad starts giving his daughter an illegal drug because he believes it makes her better? It's a heartbreaking decision someone had to make, but to my mind, they have to do their best to protect the daughter. Even if she is dying, the authorities have a responsibility to stop her from getting even sicker from a well-meaning parent treating her with a powerful drug.

The child can't decide for herself, so it comes down to who you think is best placed to administer medical care to her. I wouldn't support the father in this case, in the same way I wouldn't support a father's right to inject his child with massive doses of vitamin C (also promoted as a miracle cure), or to withdraw a child from cancer treatment to undergo faith healing.
Yeah, I can totally see that point of view.

However, We really don't know what the situation is.

The prospect of the Canabis oil appearing to be work may very well be caused by the fathers despiration, but what if it isn't?

There is quite allot of information online, and it does seem promising.
Promising in that there are quite allot of actual medical studies to back it up (I looked at a website that provided twenty medical studies.)
Which isn't normally the case with allot of these new supposed 'cures' that have emerged.

Couple that with the fact that the side effects are minimal, (from why I've read after a quick search) you've got something that does seem to be legit.

At the end of the day, we don't really know.
Maybe this really is the exception to the many alternative cancer cures, and maybe it isn't, but with what looks to be minimal side effects, I belive he should have the right to do what he feels is best.

I too am Somewhat skeptical about Canabis oil being used as a cure, but he could really be on to something that works,
And I can't imagine how devastating it would be to hear that this little girl didn't make it, and then it come out later that what this guy had in mind, really was the real deal.

It's an incredibly difficult situation, but weighing everything up, I'm in support of the father.

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 01-23-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #6
FlankNW
Brawn

Training Exp: 3 years.
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Anything Cheap :)
FlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality posts

My observations from what I know (I'm not a doctor however my father before retirement (12 months ago) was a world leading expert in neuro oncology and the related surgery, so I've picked up a thing or two over the years).

A stage 4 neuroblastoma is incredibly likely to kill the child and will in the vast majority (perhaps all, but I'd need to check with my dad) kill the child eventually, there is no actual cure per se, and I don't believe that cannabis/ cannabis oil has been touted as a cure (again not doing research, based off what I know)

Secondly, I believe that in this case, cannabis oil would have been applied mainly for its analgesic (pain killing) properties, there are many many documented cases of use of cannabis as an analgesic for cancer sufferers, and I believe 'medical marijuana' is legal even in many US states. If it was applied for this reason, I think it's not unusual that a potentially 'miraculous' change in the way his daughter was from the outside is overly surprising.

My opinion would be that he is being punished for using something which is, rightly or wrongly, on the banned substance list in order to bring his daughter out of pain. I don't think I could blame the guy for wanting his daughter to be as happy as possible for the time she has left, I know I would.

Unfortunately the law is the law though, and whilst it's still in the law, doing this is illegal, and getting caught gets you in trouble. I do think that cannabis and other variants should be allowed for use on cancer patients for analgesic purposes ( I also don't think there is any logic in it being banned at all, but that's for another debate).

Tl dr: I can't blame him for doing it, but it was against the law, I think the law in this area should be changed.
Bench 170 (140)

At BW<100kg.

My Training Log
FlankNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #7
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlankNW View Post
My observations from what I know (I'm not a doctor however my father before retirement (12 months ago) was a world leading expert in neuro oncology and the related surgery, so I've picked up a thing or two over the years).

A stage 4 neuroblastoma is incredibly likely to kill the child and will in the vast majority (perhaps all, but I'd need to check with my dad) kill the child eventually, there is no actual cure per se, and I don't believe that cannabis/ cannabis oil has been touted as a cure (again not doing research, based off what I know)

Secondly, I believe that in this case, cannabis oil would have been applied mainly for its analgesic (pain killing) properties, there are many many documented cases of use of cannabis as an analgesic for cancer sufferers, and I believe 'medical marijuana' is legal even in many US states. If it was applied for this reason, I think it's not unusual that a potentially 'miraculous' change in the way his daughter was from the outside is overly surprising.

My opinion would be that he is being punished for using something which is, rightly or wrongly, on the banned substance list in order to bring his daughter out of pain. I don't think I could blame the guy for wanting his daughter to be as happy as possible for the time she has left, I know I would.

Unfortunately the law is the law though, and whilst it's still in the law, doing this is illegal, and getting caught gets you in trouble. I do think that cannabis and other variants should be allowed for use on cancer patients for analgesic purposes ( I also don't think there is any logic in it being banned at all, but that's for another debate).

Tl dr: I can't blame him for doing it, but it was against the law, I think the law in this area should be changed.

Interesting post, thanks.

On the point of 'staging', some good news has just come through a couple of hours ago.
The little girls tumor is shrinking, and has the cancer is now stage 3.

Let's pray she improves further.

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 01-23-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #8
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
(I looked at a website that provided twenty medical studies.)
Linden, have you got a link to that page? Doesn't matter if you haven't - it's just out of interest.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:05 PM   #9
yangwenbin
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Complete Chaos!
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: milk
yangwenbin is a dedicated contributoryangwenbin is a dedicated contributoryangwenbin is a dedicated contributoryangwenbin is a dedicated contributoryangwenbin is a dedicated contributoryangwenbin is a dedicated contributoryangwenbin is a dedicated contributoryangwenbin is a dedicated contributoryangwenbin is a dedicated contributoryangwenbin is a dedicated contributoryangwenbin is a dedicated contributor

It doesn't matter how illegal was his action. From what I've read, a stage four neuroblastoma is not curable with available treatments, his daughter is basically condemned. Would you rather watch your child dying or try to do something about it as a responsible father?
There are many examples of children who have benefited from weed based treatment (http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/15/he...dle/index.html)
Bench 102,5 kg (226 lbs)
BW 82kg (181 lbs)
yangwenbin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:06 PM   #10
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangwenbin View Post
It doesn't matter how illegal was his action. From what I've read, a stage four neuroblastoma is not curable with available treatments, his daughter is basically condemned. Would you rather watch your child dying or try to do something about it as a responsible father?
There are many examples of children who have benefited from weed based treatment (http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/15/he...dle/index.html)
It depends on what the responsible father is doing. I go back to my example - what if he took it upon himself to inject her with vitamin C? He thinks he's doing the right thing, but actually he isn't helping her at all. Can the law stand by and let him do that because she is already condemned? No. The law has to attempt to protect her, regardless of his feelings.

Next is the issue of whether cannabinoids do anything. From my admittedly limited reading, I can't see much evidence that they do anything to halt the disease. (note that individual 'case studies' are the weakest form of evidence, and can mislead us badly about 'what works'). Cannabinoids might help in managing the side effects of cancer treatments, or even pain from the disease, but that's something different. Improvement in these areas does not mean you're getting better.

The tragic thing is that some cancer sufferers will stop undergoing chemo because they've discovered Cure X. They start feeling better because chemo can make you feel very, very ill. Then they discover Cure X hasn't done anything at all.

At any one time, there are HUNDREDS of compounds that 'look promising' in the fight against cancer. Most of them will get a few studies supporting their use, but turn out in the long run to be ineffective.

There might be an argument for marijuana-based treatment for pain or side-effect management, but the risks/benefits have to be evaluated against tested treatments that are already available (and which the girl will be already treated with). And at the moment, cannabinoids aren't understood well enough for most places to accept them as a viable alternative.

The bottom line is that no responsible authority lets parents loose on very sick children with poorly tested treatments, no matter how desperate those parents are, or how certain that they've found a cure.