Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:01 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default How Planet Fitness Manipulates You Into staying Home

Is Planet Fitness manipulating you into NOT going to the gym?

http://uproxx.com/webculture/2014/12...ng-to-the-gym/

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Gyms are all different. I hate PF because of what they symbolize; laziness and excuses. But I can't hate any company for giving the stupid people exactly what they want. People want to know what Kim K. is up to, they want to know who this new singer is on the Kanye West song (Paul McCartney), they want to eat heavily processed food and occasionally feel better about themselves by eating heavily processed "healthy" food, and they want to know that one day, when the next random bit of motivation hits them, they can hop over to the gym and do a little exercising.

I don't hate PF. I hate all the people that allow PF to thrive or even exist.

Also, I don't like that the author says that "real" gyms are $500 a month. That's ridiculous. I used to train at a commercial gym that was in an out of the way location and had run down equipment, but everything worked and they had absolutely everything anyone could ask for including a pool, a sauna, a racquetball court and tons of free classes. They charged $120 a year and did just fine because their business plan was to keep costs low while offering a ton of value.

Comparing all gyms to eachother is like comparing all restaraunts. Some are so different they really can't even be placed in the same category.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:49 AM   #3
JBWarren70
GymRat
Uber Brawn

Fav Exercise: Curls brah!
Fav Supp: Skittles, Pizza, Proteinz
JBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributor

When we moved here I was looking for a gym. I didn't know what was here, of course we all know about the big-box chain gyms. I saw PF during my online search and was amazed at the low cost for membership, $10 per month as was stated in that article.

We went over to the local PF and spoke with a sales person, there were no personal trainers. The girl even stated that, "We do not promote bodybuilding here." Of course this immediately turned me away.

The marketing of PF is Fing genius though. Get 6,000 people in a particular area to give you $10 a month?? "It's cheap and maybe one day I'll have time to go." But many never make it, but they keep paying $10 because if they pay then eventually they may step foot in the gym, every few months.

Psychology 101:

"The incentive theory of motivation suggests that we are motivated to engage in behaviors in order to gain rewards."

Motivated by paying $10 per month, which is cheap; A cheap incentive to eventually make it to the gym to live a healthy lifestyle.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
JBWarren70
GymRat
Uber Brawn

Fav Exercise: Curls brah!
Fav Supp: Skittles, Pizza, Proteinz
JBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributorJBWarren70 is a dedicated contributor

Soldier, your idea of monthly membership for the younger gym-goers in your area, charge them $10 per month with actual personal training to make them bigger, faster, leaner high school athletes?

Spin the PF craze to your side and get actual members that want to learn and become better athletes for the SAME cost as a PF membership?
Old 01-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #5
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWarren70 View Post
Soldier, your idea of monthly membership for the younger gym-goers in your area, charge them $10 per month with actual personal training to make them bigger, faster, leaner high school athletes?

Spin the PF craze to your side and get actual members that want to learn and become better athletes for the SAME cost as a PF membership?
I've got to charge a lot more than that, although it'll still be cheaper than most gyms that are similiar, at least at first. My prices will be in the $80-$120/mo range, depending on how long they commit. I've seen more established warehouse based S&C gyms charging upwards of $300/mo.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:00 PM   #6
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I've got to charge a lot more than that, although it'll still be cheaper than most gyms that are similiar, at least at first. My prices will be in the $80-$120/mo range, depending on how long they commit. I've seen more established warehouse based S&C gyms charging upwards of $300/mo.
Damn. The SM gym I go to charges $35 a month for competitors. Then again, its like $200 for those who take classes.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:09 PM   #7
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Damn. The SM gym I go to charges $35 a month for competitors. Then again, its like $200 for those who take classes.
My setup for the athletes will be crossfit-esque, in that it will all be group training led by myself, which is the real reason crossfit is so expensive. No one will train alone or even be allowed in the gym without me there. It will be my private training studio. For around $100/mo the athletes will get 3x1hr sessions per week, all led and coached by myself, and there will never be more than 10 athletes training at a time. The programming will all be semi-personalized as well, based on each athlete's needs and goals.

I'll also be offering personal training at pretty ridiculously cheap prices considering what will be included. The real key will be getting people to see past the non-traditional personal training setup and see the value of what I offer, which will take time and patience, but the price will reflect the fact that people will have to take a bit of a leap to buy in to what I'm doing.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:36 PM   #8
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

I was talking about this with gym owners in 1993!

One owner pointed to the ceiling 20' up and said, "See that square foot by the lights? That's what I'm selling most people."

Hundreds pay and only dozens show up.

"Do not change shit up during a training cycle." -Sandbox

Best PL total: 1020 - 350/265/405
Current total: 925 - 315/245/365
jdmalm123 is online now   Reply With Quote