Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:41 AM   #11
DocColossus
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Hammer Low Pull
Fav Supp: Jack3d, Yok3d, ModernBCAA
DocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machine

Hey OP if I could just throw this food for thought your way...

I have been known at all 3 of my gyms (yes, 3 gyms, one for normal workouts, one for strongman equipment and one for heavy *ss dumbbells) as the guy that bends the bars with Rack Pulls and Shrugs... Not to state e-stats, but I feel it adds some credibility to what I'm going to suggest, but I can dumbbell shrug 150lb with strict form for 25-30 reps, and barbell shrug anywhere from 700lb-800lb for sets of 10-12 or even 15 reps, and 800-900 for sets of 6-8 reps or so... Rack pulls are roughly the same weight wise.

With that said, I have found the BEST results for my shrugging to come from slow, strict repetitions using lighter weight dumbbells, for sets of anywhere from 25-50 reps per set. The high rep moderately heavy (though still very light in comparison) sets allowed me to thicken the upper and lower traps up nicely...

A typical trap routine for me these days looks like:

Barbell Shrugs 710x12,12,12,12.
Dumbbell Shrugs 75x25,25,25,25,25.

Seems high volume but it really isn't, not for the traps anyways, at least not for me. I'm all about finding balance within training volume, and have found this element of higher volume works together nicely with my lower volume routine for the other major muscle groups...

Anyways thought I would throw the lower weight higher rep concept out there, up to you on whether to use it or not... Message me if you have any questions!

Keep up the good work brother!
DocColossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #12
moore_716
Banned
Uber Brawn

moore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammer

no problem. I am always open to thoughts and insight. Right now I just have a goal of doing 500+ for a couple of reps. My gym only has db's that go up to 100# and I can rep them 20x pretty easily. Normally after bb shrugs I will do the db shrugs for more of a burn. I like to warm up to the heavy ones to preexhaust the muscle and then finish with behind the back shurgs and the db shrugs. I will never get to your weights that is awesome. I'm pretty happy now too. My bw is at 192-194 so I don't think the weight I'm doing is all that bad. Once again your sets are amazing.
moore_716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
DocColossus
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Hammer Low Pull
Fav Supp: Jack3d, Yok3d, ModernBCAA
DocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_716 View Post
I will never get to your weights that is awesome.
Never say never man, you don't know what the future will hold, just have to keep consistent and do it to it!
DocColossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #14
bb12
Hulk!
Max Brawn

bb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributor

nice numbers
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com

My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of All American EFX and they are my own.
bb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #15
Kpettitt
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Brawn

Kpettitt is a consistent contributorKpettitt is a consistent contributorKpettitt is a consistent contributorKpettitt is a consistent contributorKpettitt is a consistent contributorKpettitt is a consistent contributorKpettitt is a consistent contributorKpettitt is a consistent contributorKpettitt is a consistent contributorKpettitt is a consistent contributorKpettitt is a consistent contributor

good lord man!! You're a monster!!! I feel even more lazy after reading that!!--- I'm snowed in and can't get to the gym! lol
My comments have not been evaluated by the FDA, do not constitute medical advice, and are not official or authorized comments by Anabolic Addiction, LLC.
kpettitt@anabolicaddiction.net
Kpettitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #16
rippednmichigan
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpettitt View Post
good lord man!! You're a monster!!! I feel even more lazy after reading that!!--- I'm snowed in and can't get to the gym! lol
Snowed in in NC? Damn we're in Michigan and I did 3 miles today. My sis lives in SC, did you guys just get hit or what?

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/

Certified Personal Trainer
Training and Nutrition at
www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

"Take control and push your limits!"
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote