Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Those annoying local gyms?

What annoys you most about your local gym?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
Got2Squat
New Brawn
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4 months
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Supp: Milk
Got2Squat has made some quality postsGot2Squat has made some quality postsGot2Squat has made some quality postsGot2Squat has made some quality postsGot2Squat has made some quality postsGot2Squat has made some quality posts

The ONLY thing that annoys me is the drive there when I have to use a gym. This is only when I am working out of town. Other than that, I don't let anything bother me....it's way too easy to be condescending to anyone not doing the exact type of lifting/training as ourselves. Sort of like the old driver saying: "anyone driving faster than you, or slower than you, is an a$$hole"

Now granted, that does not mean that if someone was using the squat rack for curls that I would not ask them to relocate. Luckily, in the ten visits I have made to the gym while working out of town, one of the two racks has only been in use one time. Two girls doing barbell lifts, the smaller of the two doing multiple reps and sets with 2PPS!

Last edited by Got2Squat; 10-29-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Got2Squat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
_J_
Chalk Rebel
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,253, Level: 35 Points: 3,253, Level: 35 Points: 3,253, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Whole Milk
_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine

1. They outlaw chalk. No other gym in the area has more free weights, but chalk is not allowed?

2. Their are never enough clips/collars in the free weight area. They're letting a bunch of the crossfitters take them into the "multiuse" room, but they're not bringing them back, so the free weight area has 3 sets of clips to split between 2 power racks, 1 squat rack, 1 OH rack, and 3 benches. Sure, that's enough right?

3. Nowhere in the locker room to hang your clothes. Yes, there are free lockers (think highschool-size), and you can rent big lockers, but there used to be a large clothes rack in there. It was removed to make room for more of the big rental lockers.

4. The paper towel dispensers in the locker room are empty half the time. I saw a guy get so pissed about there being nothing to dry his hands on (again), that he ripped the dispenser off the wall and threw it in the trash.
_J_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
Got2Squat
New Brawn
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4 months
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Supp: Milk
Got2Squat has made some quality postsGot2Squat has made some quality postsGot2Squat has made some quality postsGot2Squat has made some quality postsGot2Squat has made some quality postsGot2Squat has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _J_ View Post
4. The paper towel dispensers in the locker room are empty half the time. I saw a guy get so pissed about there being nothing to dry his hands on (again), that he ripped the dispenser off the wall and threw it in the trash.
Proof that roid-rage is just a myth.
Got2Squat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
Sandbox
Max Brawn
Points: 2,325, Level: 29 Points: 2,325, Level: 29 Points: 2,325, Level: 29
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Dead Cow
Sandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machine

I'm reposting from an earlier rant only becasue it fits here:

My local gym is a big box:

Big Box gyms. I hate them. I'm going to rant a little here. And my apologies to Tann and other educators....it might be somewhat gruff and rambling.

I have a fairly well equipped home gym. 4 bars (one is a 1500lb Troy) a great rack, dumbbells from 150lbs to 5 lbs. 1550 lbs of free weight including 3 pairs of 100s, 2 benches, a GHR, a seated press, a heavy bag / speed bag stand, and stationary bike and a versa climber. It's my sanctuary.

I also have a 24 hr gym membership I bought in 2000. I bought three years for around $350. Now I pay $20 a year. This comes in handy when training for a meet. I need a spot on my last four benches. My off again training partner works out at this devil den. Tonight was IT for me. I'm done. I've never really analyzed it much to realize why I hate it so. I did tonight. After my bench I helped him find depth in his squat. So, I had a good 40 minutes to just take it in. Other than the split tail (and there were some lookers) I witnessed over 80% of the douchebags who 'workout'. But they weren't. They were 'posturing'. In their walk, in their lifts, in their resting, in their trak to the water fountain, in everything. And they are not posturing to garner the affection of the few gals in the gym. They are posturing to boost their ego amongst themselves.
I just want to hit my bench set and go home. I don't even care if you work in. BUT.... I don't want to explain why I warmup the way I do. I don't want to hear about your uncle in Orlando who benches Five. I'm not interested that your trainer says touching on bench is dangerous. And I don't want to spend the next 20 minutes explaining how I got my bench to where it is. Not because I'm an obstinant bastard (which I am), but because they don't listen. Ever. What THEY do do...is get in the way. Set up deads and drop 225 like its 650 and grunt. Talk on the cell. Wear that stupid t shirt split on the side and a wool cap. And walk around like Chuck Norris' illegitimate love child.
I'm done. Thank you.
Sandbox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _J_ View Post
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
FlankNW
Brawn
Points: 774, Level: 14 Points: 774, Level: 14 Points: 774, Level: 14
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Training Exp: 3 years.
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Anything Cheap :)
FlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality posts

^ I like the Metalocalypse reference

The biggest irritation for me is when they just don't have any proper equipment, and also when they just have a really small amount of weights - what's the point in having a free weights area if one person can deadlift ALL the weight?

The other pet peeves of no chalk, no grunting allowed are also things which annoy me.

I've decided I was just going to have to get used to noobs, because they're everywhere and will never go away, that and rubbish music (headphones are a wonderful invention)....
Bench 170 (140)

At BW<100kg.

My Training Log
FlankNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
CaseyB1987
Max Brawn
Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Supp: Food
CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor

My local gym actually has pretty good equipment, but what annoys me are the little douchebag pricks who dont respect other people or the equipment. I cant stand them. The little fuckers show up in their expensive gym cloths and smell like they bathed in Axe body spray, they hog the benches so nobody can use them, just so they can bullshit and half rep 225. They throw dumbbells down just to draw attention to themselves, they scream while doing cable flyes, and never unload a bar.

And the one thing that annoys me the most. They tell me how to get bigger & stronger, when I can already out lift them on everything, and most of them dont even deadlift.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:07 PM   #9
KD5NFW
13 in 15
Max Brawn
Points: 12,466, Level: 73 Points: 12,466, Level: 73 Points: 12,466, Level: 73
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: yes
Fav Supp: meat
KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
a great rack
I didn't get past this, and yes you do
Dead 227.5 (501.55) 11/16/2014
Total 572.5 (1,262.13) 11/16/2014
KD5NFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #10
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB1987 View Post
My local gym actually has pretty good equipment, but what annoys me are the little douchebag pricks who dont respect other people or the equipment. I cant stand them. The little fuckers show up in their expensive gym cloths and smell like they bathed in Axe body spray, they hog the benches so nobody can use them, just so they can bullshit and half rep 225. They throw dumbbells down just to draw attention to themselves, they scream while doing cable flyes, and never unload a bar.

And the one thing that annoys me the most. They tell me how to get bigger & stronger, when I can already out lift them on everything, and most of them dont even deadlift.
Amen & Amen !!!