Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
MattB
Brawn
Points: 1,230, Level: 19 Points: 1,230, Level: 19 Points: 1,230, Level: 19
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

MattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributor
Default Body Set Point Theory?

I was wondering what is everyone ones thoughts on the body set point theory? For those of you that have not heard of it, it bascially says that everyone has a certain genetically determined weight/bodyfat that his or her body stays at. Some people diet and when they come off it go back to pretty much their body compostition before. While some Ectomorphs pretty much stay skinny or lean the majority of the time. Just a couple examples

Now part two of the question. If you believe in this theory, do you believe a person can change their body weight set point by staying at a certain body compostiton for a long time?

This is the main reason I bring up this thread. Before doing my show I stayed fairly lean but didnt have abs. Now after having dieted down and having my shoulder injury I have stayed around 8% or so bodyfat for several months while eating like crap all weekend long. I cleaned up my diet and I am currently eating over 350g of carbs a day and cannot gain weight and stay hungry all the time. I was never like this before and it made me think of this theory. So what say you???
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

I for one think its bullshit, the only reason for it imo is because people tend to have a normal daily diet, a.k.a they eat pretty much the same stuff day after day, with only a few changes. anyway, if your not gaining then i think the only answer is eat more.
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
MattB
Brawn

MattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
I for one think its bullshit, the only reason for it imo is because people tend to have a normal daily diet, a.k.a they eat pretty much the same stuff day after day, with only a few changes. anyway, if your not gaining then i think the only answer is eat more.
I'm not refering to just me. Merely giving an example of staying at a certain bodyfat I was never at for a long preiod of time.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:19 AM   #4
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
I was wondering what is everyone ones thoughts on the body set point theory? For those of you that have not heard of it, it bascially says that everyone has a certain genetically determined weight/bodyfat that his or her body stays at. Some people diet and when they come off it go back to pretty much their body compostition before. While some Ectomorphs pretty much stay skinny or lean the majority of the time. Just a couple examples

Now part two of the question. If you believe in this theory, do you believe a person can change their body weight set point by staying at a certain body compostiton for a long time?

This is the main reason I bring up this thread. Before doing my show I stayed fairly lean but didnt have abs. Now after having dieted down and having my shoulder injury I have stayed around 8% or so bodyfat for several months while eating like crap all weekend long. I cleaned up my diet and I am currently eating over 350g of carbs a day and cannot gain weight and stay hungry all the time. I was never like this before and it made me think of this theory. So what say you???
Even if it was so, wouldnt the genetic pre-determined point be different for different lifestyles for the same person? And if it changed for different lifestyles for the same dude, what exactly is the value of this theory?
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Personal experience from 20+ years of calorie counting is that my body likes to stay at 225. When I'm thinner then that, I gain weight rapidly. Prior to 1996 (age 29), My weight stayed between 170 and 200. During those years, every day was a battle to keep the weight off. A couple of times I found myself right around 225, and it seemed like I gained 40 pounds in a month - it was probably more like 2 or 3.

Since 1996 I have hovered around that point, getting bigger several times. But when I get bigger, the weight literally falls off and I can rocket back down to 225-ish. For example, I started a moderate cutting diet on January 1st. Even without an ultra-restrictive amount of calories, I know my body will lose 20 pounds a month for a couple months.

But, when I lose weight and get to 225...it's like a wall. In 2007 I lost quite a bit of weight. That's when I got back into lifting after several years off. I was losing weight like mad, and then I hit 228 and didn't lose a thing in nearly 3 months. I tried everything...calorie cycling...running, you name it.

I do not know enough about set point theory to express an intelligent opinion. But I do know that for me, 225 is where my body likes to be, and seems to level off.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
MattB
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Personal experience from 20+ years of calorie counting is that my body likes to stay at 225. When I'm thinner then that, I gain weight rapidly. Prior to 1996 (age 29), My weight stayed between 170 and 200. During those years, every day was a battle to keep the weight off. A couple of times I found myself right around 225, and it seemed like I gained 40 pounds in a month - it was probably more like 2 or 3.

Since 1996 I have hovered around that point, getting bigger several times. But when I get bigger, the weight literally falls off and I can rocket back down to 225-ish. For example, I started a moderate cutting diet on January 1st. Even without an ultra-restrictive amount of calories, I know my body will lose 20 pounds a month for a couple months.

But, when I lose weight and get to 225...it's like a wall. In 2007 I lost quite a bit of weight. That's when I got back into lifting after several years off. I was losing weight like mad, and then I hit 228 and didn't lose a thing in nearly 3 months. I tried everything...calorie cycling...running, you name it.

I do not know enough about set point theory to express an intelligent opinion. But I do know that for me, 225 is where my body likes to be, and seems to level off.
Good post BTB that is what I was refering. I know for me I can bulk like crazy but once I get past around 190 I start gaining fat.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Good post BTB that is what I was refering. I know for me I can bulk like crazy but once I get past around 190 I start gaining fat.
That's exactly the type of phenomenon I experience. I can cut like mad while heading towards 225, and muscle loss isn't an issue. And when I was thin, I would gain quite a bit of fat from 180 to 220...very rapid. I swear I could have one bad weekend and see the scale go from 177 to 192. I know sounds silly, but in a certain sense, it's a good representation of my body's tendencies.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

I have noticed set points too. Once I break through, then I find a new set point.

Warning!

I used to be 4-8% BF without trying or dieting (ages 0-30+). Once I tried bulking for real, I took my BF to 15-16%. When I tried to lower my BF, I got stuck at 12%. Took a huge effort to get back to 8%. Ever since then, I easily shoot up to 10-11%.

Weight loss/weight gain is all about hormonal triggers. Protein, fat, carbs are all meaningless except in how they trigger a hormone response. Consider...

Carbs = insulin spike (storage mode)
Fats = precursor to and production of testosterone
etc...

In addition to training and diet impact on hormones, our hormone profiles are ever-changing as we age...
Old 01-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

2D Knock-Out Champion! Lost for Words - Football Teams Champion!
Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
Even if it was so, wouldnt the genetic pre-determined point be different for different lifestyles for the same person? And if it changed for different lifestyles for the same dude, what exactly is the value of this theory?
it is so, but like you said it would be different for the same person pending their lifestyle. otherwise we would all be able to build fabulous pose ready physique's. but just like being tall or short you can be prone to fat or skinny.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Bump. I need to add to this thread.