Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Worst bodybuilding magazine advice (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1671)

Smirkules 01-11-2010 02:37 PM

Worst bodybuilding magazine advice
 
What's the worst bodybuilding magazine advice you've ever recevied?

Back in the day, the late 80's, some pros were doing double splits. I think Gasapi was one of them, but I can't remember if it was his workout that I followed. I remember reading about this insane split in Flex, and decided that more is better. I went home and outline a 6 day double split. I hit the gym 12 times in a week, then gave up that madness. My life was like eat train eat train eat sleep eat train eat train eat sleep. I wanted to end it all.

lefthookright 01-11-2010 05:23 PM

I see plenty of magazines and people offer up arnold like routines to beginners.

swoleramon 01-11-2010 06:12 PM

I really bought into Ronnie's routine years ago. Then I bought his video and saw how horrible his form was.

kman025 01-11-2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swoleramon (Post 19322)
I really bought into Ronnie's routine years ago. Then I bought his video and saw how horrible his form was.

you cant hate on his form, he does what he needs to do to move the most weight. Hes a strong ass bodybuilder

RickB 01-11-2010 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kman025 (Post 19377)
you cant hate on his form, he does what he needs to do to move the most weight. Hes a strong ass bodybuilder

Yeah, and if you pumped as much juice and hgh as he did, you'd be huge/strong arse like him too. And I'm not directly discounting the hard work he did along with it. I know some of the other pros probably do as much juice/hgh as well, but you still have to train smart to stay injury free. And Coleman's Lats are so disproportional (is that a word?) that I think he's screwed up forever...even if he does compete again, he'll have to be really creative to hide it.

http://fitblog.biz/uploads/posts/thu...coleman_2.jpeg

BendtheBar 01-12-2010 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB (Post 19391)
And Coleman's Lats are so disproportional (is that a word?) that I think he's screwed up forever...even if he does compete again, he'll have to be really creative to hide it.

I'm sure it's a word. Or maybe disproportionate is appropriate. Not that's a sentence.

Coleman's form scares the shit out of me. I'm always waiting for something to explode.

kitarpyar 01-12-2010 10:01 AM

IMO, worst advice from mags are -

1. Splits
2. Tons of isolation
3. Miracle supps

Yeah Coleman's form is s***, but I guess perfect form is over-rated. IMO any form that allows you to lift without injuring yourself (and this might change a bit depending on the individual's structure) should be fine, as long as it lets you lift heavy.

W/e Coleman has done worked for him (bigness being the criterion, overall though, I am not a fan of that physique at all). Not saying it will work for everyone, but it did okay for him.

kman025 01-12-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitarpyar (Post 19425)
IMO, worst advice from mags are -

1. Splits
2. Tons of isolation
3. Miracle supps

Yeah Coleman's form is s***, but I guess perfect form is over-rated. IMO any form that allows you to lift without injuring yourself (and this might change a bit depending on the individual's structure) should be fine, as long as it lets you lift heavy.
W/e Coleman has done worked for him (bigness being the criterion, overall though, I am not a fan of that physique at all). Not saying it will work for everyone, but it did okay for him.

this is what i believe as well and was my poinr earlier.

i havent seen a ton of his vids, but i have seen his 800 lb deadlift and thats impressive

BendtheBar 01-12-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitarpyar (Post 19425)
IMO, worst advice from mags are -

1. Splits
2. Tons of isolation
3. Miracle supps

Yeah Coleman's form is s***, but I guess perfect form is over-rated. IMO any form that allows you to lift without injuring yourself (and this might change a bit depending on the individual's structure) should be fine, as long as it lets you lift heavy.

I agree that perfect form is over-rated. I'm all about moving a weight with smart leverage.

Coleman uses some really crazy form with crazy weights. I think there's a difference between loose form to move a weight and being reckless. And when young guys try to emulate Coleman, it's recipe for disaster.

Heavy training is hard enough with good form. And to try to lift heavy over the course of your life injury free isn't easy. Just make sure you keep the distinction between smart leverage and reckless form. Because there are many out there that will read this and think it's a license to get crazy.

And I in no way think you should be playing with loose form until you have solid form. Most guys I see on Youtube have piss poor deadlift and bench form. Arms all out to the side on bench, deadlifts with a high ass. If these guys start lifting like Coleman - well, good night Irene.

Regarding your points, #2 is a big one for me. I will never, ever see the point in lifting a weight that can't be progressed for an extended period of time. I think it took me exactly 2 months to max out side laterals. After that, I threw them aside.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.