Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #1
syn
Max Brawn
Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
syn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beast
Default Chemicals in Plastic

I know some people think this is a huge concern, I try to use BPA free containers for my lunch.
I would prefer to use glass but carrying around a bag of glass containers on daily is not going to happen.

so Is BPA really as toxic as its made out to be?

I watched a documentary on-line about a year ago, it claimed plastic is one of the main reason for raising cancer rates. It also stated that chemicals in pvc are causing boys to be born with malformed genitals, and it lowers testosterone.

Some of the interwebz gurus such as Elliott Hulse only drink out of glass jars

Thoughts & opinions?
Old 02-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
syn
Max Brawn

syn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beast

quote from Shorts posted in the Subway Tread
Quote:
Feel free to make another thread or PM me if you'd like. Once of my first projects as an engineer was developing a BPA free coating for can/bottle's/etc. It was a big push from the US since most of the EU had banned it.

All the research does point to it being toxic (and it is). The issue is when it is used for coatings, you're not getting the full amount. The testing done showed that when mice ingested BPA (100% reactive, pure) they have severe adverse effects (ie death). However, the rate of desorption of BPA from the coating to whatever fluid was in the container is so slow that it would take 10 lifetimes for someone to reach the dangerous level of BPA needed for adverse effects.

But, all it takes is a study to show that it can happen, and from there the words can be twisted to make that product look terrible.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

It's difficult to say, I don't know one plastic from another, as such. It has been said that people that have reactions to plastic may only be reacting to the chemicals they use in the production process and not the plastics themselves, per se; the problem is ascertaining which compound, elements they are having issues with and to what degree.

Cancer, etc...don't know, can't say on that.

The one thing I do know for sure now (about me specifically and some others, obviously) is that I have a problem with plastics; initially when I carried shopping bags (years ago) I wrongly assumed that it was the weight of the plastic handles cutting in to the hands and causing red, itchy, welts but since trying to learn to play the penny whistle (a couple of Xmases ago) and ending up wheezing and having my entire face and eyes burn so much I wanted to rip my eyes out...then leaving it a few days and using the penny whistle again for a few minutes and reacting the same way; I know I have issues with plastic. I also react when I have to drag the wheelie bin out, even though, in theory, the handle has been washed by the rain, countless times, by now; I have to wear gloves, in order to get no reaction and obviously can't and don't play the penny whistle any longer

The penny whistle was also the more upgrade, expensive plastics, not the cheap stuff at all.

It means I have to watch now, with all plastics and really keep an eye on what goes on...I still use plastic drinking bottles, if I go out, but it may be that they're fine and not the sort of plastic I react to; that's where the problems occur, people don't really know one from another, unless you happen to work in plastics in which case you do. At the same time, the amount of times I will use a plastic bottle isn't that often.

I've read that plastic inside cans (tomato products, I believe make use of it, or mushrooms...don't quote me) can cause issues but again, no idea. For some people, it just might, but we've had products from cans of that nature and so far, I've been fine with it...again, not very often, but having said that the wheelie bin handle is only touched for less than 2 minutes tops and I still react...so it's complex.

Last edited by 5kgLifter; 02-26-2014 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling
5kgLifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
syn
Max Brawn

yeah I have heard of people with issues with Latex as well as cheap shopping bags, a guy I used to work with had an issue with condoms.