Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!
Default Preparing for a lift

I don't think we've had this before...

I'm not talking pre-lift rituals, wearing certain things etc but address that if you would like to as well.

Do any of you have a distinct set-up pattern that you use for every lift, for example with the DL, do you step up to the barbell in the same manner each time, same foot first, grab the barbell with the same hand first each time etc?

I do, so I wondered if everyone else does or whether some don't.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

When I Deadlift, I approach the bar, take my grip and then stretch my legs out, giving the hamstrings a good stretch. Something similar with squats. I get under the bar and stretch before unracking the bar. Before I bench, I pray because I stink at bench press.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
j
Brawn
Points: 941, Level: 16 Points: 941, Level: 16 Points: 941, Level: 16
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: not long enough!
Fav Exercise: deadlifts
Fav Supp: Chocolate milk
j has made some quality postsj has made some quality postsj has made some quality postsj has made some quality postsj has made some quality postsj has made some quality postsj has made some quality postsj has made some quality posts

I don't think there is anything I really do ritually for lifts...
j is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:24 PM   #4
IrishHitman
Max Brawn
Points: 6,200, Level: 51 Points: 6,200, Level: 51 Points: 6,200, Level: 51
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 8
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chili Oil
IrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beast

For squats: I set my grip and put the bar on top of my head and then scrape it down to my back to make sure I get proper balance.
Bench: nothing too special. I try to start my grip right below my fingers for proper alignment.
Deadlift: I raise my arms up and get air, set my left hand palm up and really twist it in and get a good grip then set my right hand, drop my hips a couple times then pull.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards."
~Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

1 March 2014
SQUAT: 650 lbs
BENCH: 340 lbs
DEADLIFT: 580 lbs
TOTAL: 1570 lbs
IrishHitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:49 AM   #5
ravimolasaria
Max Brawn
Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

No rituals as such just focus on completing the reps prescribed ...
Old 02-20-2014, 03:57 AM   #6
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Squats
- Right hand on bar first then left
- Wedge myself under and set my feet, right foot first
- Big air , unrack and if I'm walking out I'll go right foot first

Bench: my set-up has recently changed and I'm still getting used to it

Deadlift:
- Left foot set first then right
- Work my way down to the bar if in my suit. If not just bend down
- Right hook grip first then lean the other way and set left hand
- Hips up to enable me to breathe in big and pull hips down and chest up until I am coiled like a spring and explode the bar up

Note I am a gear whore so do weird things. Please also note I have not included the 5 minutes it takes me to get dressed and wrapped for each set
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #7
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Apart from the sumo set-up and the gear, that's almost a replicate of my set-ups, LtL. I tend to set left foot first and then left hand, so we differ there.

I recall reading an article and I can't remember whether it suggested doing things the same way because it was one less thing to have to concentrate on and take the person away from the lift, so to speak, or whether it was because setting up the same way each time primed the body in prep for the lift because it knew what was coming just from the set-up alone and that eventually became more ingrained and much better than just setting up differently each time; I know there was a very good reason which is why I adopted the practice.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Deadlift. Amp myself up like 7 feet from the bar. Get pissed off. Envision only locking out. Step up to the bar, place right foot. Place left foot. Take as much air as possible, then push stomach out as far as possible, flex core as hard as I can. Place right under hand, place left over hand. Raise hips up and shake to stretch everything to max. Coil down with as much of me behind bar as possible. Pull fast and hard. Bench and squat, eh I kind of just do them.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
Bdub
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,416, Level: 21 Points: 1,416, Level: 21 Points: 1,416, Level: 21
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1-2 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
Bdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributor

Ya I guess I kinda have a plan/way I do certain lifts each time. Once I get in my warm-up and ready to hit the compounds I just zone in and approach each lift the same everytime with lots of intensity and focus. Some people probably think I'm crazy and stuff but it works for me. I like to lift alone because I don't like anyone bothering me and chatting it up I don't have time for that haha. But for my squats, deads, bench, OHP, BB rows I approach the bar each time the same pretty much I would say.

Best Meet Results
Squat: 385
Bench: 265
Deadlift: 475
Bdub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #10
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Everything follows a specific order, I have mental checklists that I follow all the way through.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote