Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Does Fat Loss Become Harder To Achieve The Lower You Are in Body Fat Percentage (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1638)

Dork McSchlorp 01-06-2010 04:50 PM

Does Fat Loss Become Harder To Achieve The Lower You Are in Body Fat Percentage

Question: Does Fat Loss Become Harder as Your Body Fat Percentage Gets Lower?Is there a difference between going from overweight or obese to normal weight, and going from normal weight to single digit body fat? How about going from upper single digit body fat to contest shape? Answer: Fat loss definitely becomes more challenging as [...]

More...

RickB 01-06-2010 05:01 PM

Without reading the article and addressing the subject line, I will say the answer is "Absolutely!".

I have witnessed this twice in 2009, where I got to the point of seeing the top 4 abs in the morning for a few weeks each time. I started struggling through workouts, losing strength, and down-right feeling crappy post workout and sometimes dizzy during workouts. I do think I'm not the norm with an issue like this (maybe slightly hypoglycemic), but it's going to be similar for most imo.

Shaolinkiwi 01-06-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dork McSchlorp (Post 18552)
Question: Does Fat Loss Become Harder as Your Body Fat Percentage Gets Lower?Is there a difference between going from overweight or obese to normal weight, and going from normal weight to single digit body fat? How about going from upper single digit body fat to contest shape? Answer: Fat loss definitely becomes more challenging as [...]

More...

Fat loss does get harder the lower your body fat % gets. When it comes to showing the bottom 2 abs shedding that last bit becomes very stubborn and calorie intake can for some become to deficient. It's consistency and patience that will get most there, well those of us that aren't genetically gifted.

Going from obese to overweight is far easier, the excess fat falls off quickly in general these people experience rapid fat loss. However the longer they continue the more the results start to drop off (diminishing returns).

When it comes to getting into contest shape...I not a 100% sure as I never done it, some of the measures taken to get that dry shredded look seem straight up unhealthy too me.

Going from normal weight to single digit body fat requires large diet changes and a strong will. I've recently dropped from 14% to 12% and aiming for 9% within 6 to 7 weeks.
I also believe to achieve a drop in body fat one should abandon conventional bb training and shift to full body routines bulit around weight lifting movements that require the most amount of effort to complete i.e. cleans, deadlifts, squats etc.

BendtheBar 01-06-2010 05:25 PM

I know fat loss becomes harder the bigger you get ;)

...Now, let me read the article.

glwanabe 01-06-2010 05:41 PM

Don't forget the age factor as well. All is possible, but it just requires dedicated work.

I was the leanest I've ever been about two weeks into basic training at the age of 28. I was, no shit, ripped!! I dropped about 10lbs in two weeks.

BendtheBar 01-06-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 18558)
Don't forget the age factor as well. All is possible, but it just requires dedicated work.

I was the leanest I've ever been about two weeks into basic training at the age of 28. I was, no shit, ripped!! I dropped about 10lbs in two weeks.

I was the same in basic training. I had my first 6 pack.

Shaolinkiwi 01-06-2010 09:40 PM

Man I gotta enlist!

BendtheBar 01-07-2010 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolinkiwi (Post 18612)
Man I gotta enlist!

Just go outside and walk 20 miles today. About the same thing.

glwanabe 01-07-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 18637)
Just go outside and walk 20 miles today. About the same thing.

Wearing full gear, and carrying a 60lb ruck. Substitute carrying a weapon for carrying a 10lb bar in both hands. Do this after an hour of fullbody workout.

Repeat 5x week.

BendtheBar 01-07-2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 18653)
Wearing full gear, and carrying a 60lb ruck. Substitute carrying a weapon for carrying a 10lb bar in both hands. Do this after an hour of fullbody workout.

Repeat 5x week.

I forgot about that. I had to road march with an M-60 once. That was pure bliss.

The Biggest Loser reminds me of boot camp. Exercise all day and eat minimal food.