Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #11
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Most folks start out assuming a person accomplished things via their straight natural abilities, and when they find out, some innocence is lost. People do have some inherent goodness, and want to see a fair competition.
I have to agree with this point; I was informed once that most if not all athletes are taking something, I'm no longer as interested in watching sporting events as I once was.

I can't comment on the actual issue in this thread, because I don't know enough about the substances being discussed; however, I have seen what medicinal steroids (which I realise are slightly different in make-up), at small doses, have done to a person's health...and if they're medicinal and for the good, I dread to think what other stuff can do.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #12
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

I also think many lifters remain na´ve because they know that they've never really tried to maximize their training, and have no plan to. They assume that if someone really focusses in and their diet and training is perfect all the time, that would make a huge difference. While it actually will make a difference, it's not nearly as big a difference as steroids make.

Don't underestimate genetics as well. I've met people who accidentally had incredible bodies with basically no extra effort at all. Seeing people like that gives us the same sort of unrealistic expectations that our exposure to steroid users does.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #13
Braveone
Brawn
Points: 835, Level: 15 Points: 835, Level: 15 Points: 835, Level: 15
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Testosterone :)
Braveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregger View Post
I'd like to jump in on this...
I'm a 53yr old natty, I've been told by a few guys that without gear I'm just wasting my time... My hard work for such little gain is worthless.

Would I like to? Absolutely...
But I'm afraid that my underlying health issues would only lead to trouble... Admittedly this is a risk I'm not willing to take.

I couldn't care less what others do, just don't tell me I'm somehow inferior because my size and strength is not what it could be...

Any thoughts here? Am I just spinning my wheels?
MY PERSONAL OPINION. (based on my experience and common sense).

An intelligently applied and dosed TRT regimen is a true game changer for the older person (40+) looking to get stronger, improve performance and/or body comp. I have been "on" for a few years...low dose test with the occasional use of another compound also at lowish doses. I have notices zero negative effects and am very happy with my choice to use. I believe that intelligent doses are the key difference...my philosophy is to use the minimum to get the effect I desire.

To consider drug use cheating is as absurd as considering training natural a waste of time...both are silly things to say or believe.

Squat:307.5
Dead:415
Bench:257.5

Overhead Press:165 (not counted)

Whatever you want to do, do it now. There are only so many tomorrows.
Braveone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #14
gregger
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,411, Level: 21 Points: 1,411, Level: 21 Points: 1,411, Level: 21
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3+
Training Type: Powerbuilding
gregger is a consistent contributorgregger is a consistent contributorgregger is a consistent contributorgregger is a consistent contributorgregger is a consistent contributorgregger is a consistent contributorgregger is a consistent contributorgregger is a consistent contributorgregger is a consistent contributorgregger is a consistent contributorgregger is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braveone View Post
...for the older person (40+)
Who you callin' old? LOL
Totally agree with you.
gregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #15
djjdnap
lil hulk
Brawn
Points: 925, Level: 16 Points: 925, Level: 16 Points: 925, Level: 16
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: squat and dead
Fav Supp: Meat
djjdnap has made some very good postsdjjdnap has made some very good postsdjjdnap has made some very good postsdjjdnap has made some very good postsdjjdnap has made some very good postsdjjdnap has made some very good postsdjjdnap has made some very good postsdjjdnap has made some very good postsdjjdnap has made some very good postsdjjdnap has made some very good postsdjjdnap has made some very good posts

wait are we talking about creatine? or protein?

gym:665/435/675
meet:725/430/705

Best total:1830 @220

goals:750/450/725
djjdnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #16
AF-Iron
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,828, Level: 25 Points: 1,828, Level: 25 Points: 1,828, Level: 25
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Coffee
AF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributor

It doesnt really affect my training. I have no problem with people who use them, so long as they are safe about it. I do wish the general population was better informed about the subject. With all the smear campaigns politicians have put out, I doubt it would change opinion that much though.

On a side note, I wish the military would make it optional for us to get a prescription for them with a few restrictions. If you work with a weapon at all, have the possibility of seeing combat at all, or do any manual labor as part of your job, then you should have the option of going on a high TRT dose. Noners and desk jockeys need not apply. Starting next year, I want to get blood work done yearly for any sign of low T or any imbalances.

Not steroid related but in the PED category, I am excited to see the research on the newest group of myostatin inhibitors. They look quite promising from initial tests. Time will tell.
AF-Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #17
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

Still want to become a world record holder? Still want to become Mr. Olympia? What would you be willing to do?
The numbers I heard this weekend would make most guys cry. The amount of money spent by those guys is unreal. Lets be honest, there is a reason why those guys are the top .01%!

Steroids becomes cheating to me, when you compete in a federation that is "drug tested".

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #18
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Why would anyone consider their training "useless" if they were on steroids? Steroids do not make you stronger without training. I broke numerous federation world records and the all time over 50 bench record clean. Since then I've been put on TRT dose of test cyp by my doctor, at HIS suggestion, not mine. Low dose TRT is not expensive and I believe that it's not making me stronger, but I'm not losing muscle mass as fast being an old fart(58).

As for the cheating part, I have lifted in a tested federation while on TRT. Prior to lifting, I advised the Fed president, so I wasn't hiding anything. I know several older guys who are on TRT that don't tell him. They are all over 50 and only taking TRT doses. Most of them don't lift enough to get tested anyway. Every meet I lift at, I get tested even after getting 2nd place once. I still have to pass the test. All of the other feds I lift in are non tested.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #19
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

I took the juice once. Lost all my gains, and what little knowledge of training I had. Totally worthless.

As far as powerlifting goes, follow the rules of the fed you lift in. Competing in a tested fed and using without a prescription and without disclosure is unethical.

As far as not being able to learn anything from a "'roid addict", that is ludicrous. Most of the great lifters use or have used, and also have a vast amount of experience and training knowledge. Lifting is a skill, not just a measure of strength.

Last edited by afraziaaaa; 02-10-2014 at 04:33 PM.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #20
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
I took the juice once. Lost all my gains, and what little knowledge of training I had. Totally worthless.
The test that I take is certainly not totally worthless. Kind of a "fountain of youth", if you know what I mean. The purpose for me isn't lifting related.

I've been totally honest and open about my TRT use in lifting. The tested fed that I lifted in does not have a non-tested side. I will not name it, at the request of the fed president. However, even will disclosure, I feel guilty about it. Even though I pass the test, it just doesn't sit good with me. Even though some of my competition is doing the same thing. I probably will not lift there anymore. If they had a therapeutic use exemption, I would, but they don't.